Bringing my dad's car back to its former glory and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the work so far, keep it up!

Color matched is lip would do wonders for your color scheme if you keep the rockers body color
    Bronzit 4-door Swap Drifting somewhere
    Cammed B25 Swap Daily Driver
    Updated 10/1

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    Maybe 300 CANADIAN HP, thats like 225 US HP.

Comment

What tire size are you running on those 16s?

Car looks sweet and I like how OE the front valance came out with the rattle can.
      "I have a vision and I won't stop"

Comment

is front lip is a consideration, but I like not having to worry about approach and departure angles and where curbs are. I think if I did go is lip id just keep it black anyways. Thanks for all the compliments everyone!
        2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
        1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
        1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Awesome thread. Car looks great!

Comment

Been doing a little more work...

Finally got around to painting the passenger side rocker panel. Now I just need to do the rear and paint the lower pinch weld areas black.

Prepped and ready for paint

Aaand painted... ooo la la!

Before

After

I also stripped the paint off the rear pop-outs I bought a bit ago, and just need to polish them a bit before installing.

Next, I recently made a decision on what to do shock wise and installed new shocks and shock mounts all around. Being that this car is a DD and will not see any track time and only slightly spirited driving, I opted for KYB's. For shock mounts I went with Sachs front mounts from Blunttech (which arrived super quickly, which I was quite surprised/impressed by) and Meyle reinforced HD mounts from UUC Motorworks (which charged $17 shipping for a 3"x3" box and took the longest to arrive by far...lame).

The shocks and front strut mounts arrived on a Thursday, so I decided to install it all sans the rear mounts since they'll be easy to install later. Who doesn't love the sight of new parts!

Rear shocks are a breeze, as I'm sure everyone on here already knows. Turns out my rear strut mounts and strut towers are actually in very good condition, despite some intermittent clunking a bit back which made me fear the worst.

Installed!

I've removed the front suspension a couple times in the past several months, so I figured I'd get it done pretty quickly... however things slowed to a crawl when I got to the front strut insert nut. Ended up having to buy very large adjustable pliers, a propane torch, and a heavy duty 5" vise. Money I didn't necessarily want to spend, but at least it was on useful tools!

Finally got that bastardo out! Yeya!

Old front strut mounts vs new Sachs mounts... little bit of compression going on there.

So my dad and I had spoken a number of times about getting him a better and slightly lower suspension, but as far as I knew it was still all original. Apparently he did at least get the shocks replaced at some point, as there were Sachs shocks on the rear and what I think are B6 Bilsteins in front.

Removed the spring perch rubber, put in the new front strut inserts, reinstalled the e90 drop hats, threw the new Sachs strut mounts on top, and buttoned everything back up. I have yet to take any good "after" pictures yet as I'm still waiting for everything to settle a bit more. After the initial install of my H&R OE Sport springs it seriously took months for everything to completely settle, so I'm giving it a bit more time. I can say that it does sit slightly higher all around at this point. Heres the only real picture I've taken...

So that was last weekend. The rear mounts came on Tuesday so I put them in today... took 24 minutes from start to finish.

New mounts

Installed with the upper reinforcement

Anyways, thanks for looking. This update was a bit boring picture wise, but I'll have some better installed pics in the coming weeks.
            1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
            1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

sorry for your loss. the new wheels look great on the car nice work so far

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

hey whats up. car is looking good. i hope those seat covers worked out.

Comment

couple more pictures to give an idea of the ride height and because I like em! Sits a bit higher than before...

Sorry theyre all super similar, but I feel like each little change of angle provides a new version of the e30 beauty... I'm sure others can relate.

Comment

Fantastic work, man. You've done a solid job maintaining and upgrading your father's E30.
                    The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

Thanks! I was actually Space Man Spiff for Halloween last year. I've been Calvin many years previously but needed to step up my game. Perhaps I'll shoot for Stupendous Man this year.

Comment

Inspirational.
                        Well done.
                        One does not simply walk into 4door
                        Transaction Feedback

Comment

Im curious as to the mileage! where did your dad get all them miles??? looks great BTW keep it up!
                          sigpic
                          Who`s attention, and why do I have to pay them?

Comment

I lived in California and my dad lived in Colorado, when I was growing up so he and I did tons of interstate trips over the years. He was big on road trips...

Comment

Couple pics and description of the Probe? Love the e30 but I'm curious as to what a highly modified Probe entails.

Comment

I really enjoyed that thread. Great work! I did the same with my Dad's car after he passed away. I always felt both proud and sad, somehow. I'll bet your Dad would be thrilled with your work, and glad that a car he clearly loved was well-kept.
                                sigpic
                                Save the manuals!
                                '91 318i
                                '86 635CSi

Comment

Working...
                                X