Took me a over a year, but I finally got my first e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took me a over a year, but I finally got my first e30

Its a 4 door 1991 318i 5 speed with a good amount of mileage, but its clean for its year. Previous owner was super cool and chill, and did a lot of maintenance with some mods. The car is lowered on vogtland springs with blisteins, so it rides nice. Once the shocks wear out Im planning on getting some coilovers, but thats gonna be a while from now. Im just making this thread to have a record of the things I have done, and will do in the future. I haven't done anything big to the car yet, just a couple kill switches, alarm, clutch lock and other little stuff. Anyways... Im happy to finally join the BMW family, especially the E30 family.

I have big plans for this car, but those big plans will have to wait, because Im on a college budget :-(. When I graduate I plan on swapping an ls1 with heads and cam into it, but for now, little appearance mods will have to do.

Mods I have done so far:
    Shorty antenna
    Yellow high beams
    Yellow fog lights
    IS lip splitter
    Adjustable clutch stop

Here is a picture of when I first got it. Sorry for the crappy pic, its the only one I have at the moment.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by z28; 08-29-2015, 08:41 PM.
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Welcome!

Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Congratz on the car! Hey, I'm really confused though, I've never heard of a 318is 4 Door, is it a special edition or a unique foreign gem?
      The fun never ends :-?

89 318iS
      R.I.P 89 325i coupe
      89 335iC

Comment

Looking good! Welcome to the e30 life =)
        BMW tech
        Umass Amherst
        05 wrx sti

Comment

sick. a local bruh. welcome

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

4 door saloon FTW!!!
            "I have a vision and I won't stop"

Comment

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by RCtheRed View Post
              Congratz on the car! Hey, I'm really confused though, I've never heard of a 318is 4 Door, is it a special edition or a unique foreign gem?
              Yeah, its just a 318i. I guess I should not call it an is, even though it has the is front lip, and trunk spoiler. Maybe in a couple months I will get the is side skirts. Im gonna edit the first post so there won't be any more confusion... plus, I do not want to be a poser....haha.

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
              sick. a local bruh. welcome
              Yup, one more to the SD club. I do not see a whole lot of e30's down here.

Originally posted by Czur1991 View Post
              4 door saloon FTW!!!
              As the saying goes, four doors more whores.
              Last edited by z28; 08-31-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Nice, grats!

Comment

Sweet, San Diego brethren! Definitely don't see enough enthusiests here and definitely won't see me around for a few more weeks since both my e30s aren't running at the moment :( what part of SD are you in?
                  Instagram: @derkm

Comment

I don't think calling a 4 door e30 in the US a 318iS is all that inaccurate - especially once you fit up all the iS bits.

You guys got the M42 in both 2 door and 4 door versions, where as the rest of us had to make do with the M40 in our 318i 4 doors.

Welcome.
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Yeah shouldn't be too hard to find the remaining iS parts, can't wait to see what you make of it!
                      The fun never ends :-?

89 318iS
                      R.I.P 89 325i coupe
                      89 335iC

Comment

Originally posted by ManSalad View Post
                        Sweet, San Diego brethren! Definitely don't see enough enthusiests here and definitely won't see me around for a few more weeks since both my e30s aren't running at the moment :( what part of SD are you in?
                        Im by the "Q".

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                        I don't think calling a 4 door e30 in the US a 318iS is all that inaccurate - especially once you fit up all the iS bits.

You guys got the M42 in both 2 door and 4 door versions, where as the rest of us had to make do with the M40 in our 318i 4 doors.

Welcome.
                        I did not know that other places got the m40.... ouch.

Originally posted by RCtheRed View Post
                        Yeah shouldn't be too hard to find the remaining iS parts, can't wait to see what you make of it!
                        Yup, hopefully I find a good deal on some is side skirts, because I know I need them bad. Im gonna work on the looks and interior first, and then, when I'm done with college its gonna be ls1 swap with t56.

Comment

Today was an interesting day with the e30, while I was driving the e-brake drum shoes fell apart and jammed up inside the drum. I was on the highway when this happened, but thankfully the rear did not lock up, the car just started to vibrate out of no where and the rear passenger brake started smoking like crazy. All of this happened when I was about to get on the offramp. I was already near my house so I decided to limp it home and check what happened when I got there. When I got home I took both rear rotors off to check the condition of the shoes, and saw that on both sides, the shoe lining was completely cracked and missing big chunks.

While I was looking at the drums I decided to take a look at the AC since it hardly works. It looks like I need to replace the hvac fan motor because it only works in 1 and 2, but when I set it to 3 or 4 it makes a loud clicking noise. I have not taken a look at the motor yet, but from the sound it makes, I believe the fan is cracked and it expands at higher speeds and it hits something around it. The previous owner converted the ac to r134a but never changed the expansion valve, but lucky for me, he provided me with a new one. Another problem that I found with the ac is that the tensioner pulley is loose and it doesn't hold tension anymore, so that is another thing to add to the list of things to do.

Im probably gonna get the e-brake shoes this weekend and try to make some time to replace them next week. As for the ac, Ill take a look at the hvac blower when I get some time. If the blower fan is broken, then I won't try to fix the ac any time soon because I'm on a budget, and the ac is just a luxury at the moment.

As of right now it looks like I need
                          a new hvac blower motor assemblly
                          fix the ac tensioner
                          install the ac expansion valve
                          ac refill
                          e-brake shoes

Comment

SD! Eastlake! & e brake issues must suck. hope its good soon.
                            1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                            1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                            Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                            1967 2002 parts car
                            1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Thanks, it sucks not having an e-brake though. I bring a rock (size of a tennis ball) with me everywhere I go to put on the rear driver tire so the car won't roll when I park it...haha. Before people say anything, I do leave it in gear also, I just use the rock when parked at an incline for a little extra safety.

Comment

Working...
                              X