No announcement yet.

E30 from Ausieland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work on removing the pulse air system and blocking the holes. When I did my old e21 years ago, I used hex head threaded plugs. Worked well, had no issues with any leaking. With the megasquirt, the engine probably runs cleaner than the old L-Jet did in any case.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Yer i had a little trouble finding hex plugs in that size locally, so just went for the bolts. nice and cheap. I didnt remember how much those exhaust pipes stuck into the head. they must just about touch the valves!

I got the exhaust all back on Friday night. that was not very fun. looks better already though. All new copper nuts from the local exhaust shop.

Swapped the timing belt yesterday lunch time after de-greasing everything, belt looked ok but the tensioner bearing was a little sad so probably not a bad time to change it. 40,000km and around 5.5yrs. Slightly over due on time, but well under on kilometres. I mean its not completely stuffed but not as smooth as it probably should be. Front main seal, oil pump drive seal and the cam seal seem to be holding up fine, but the rocker cover gasket was leaking pretty bad. So ill have to get a new one of them.

The oil filter right angle doovey got a clean up and 2 new viton o-rings (old ones shown). I think it might have been leaking. The oil pressure switch might actually be leaking too, but i dont have a 24mm socket so ill order one of them and swap out the seal, i think its just a copper washer, soon find out.

The front timing covers got a bit of a go with some wet and dry sand paper and some metal polish. shiny shiny. even painted the lifting hook black. just for fun.

One of the belts is on, ill do the others today hopefully. then its just about time for the radiator.

Also a good photo of my sanden AC comp with my own bracket. I probably dont need the 90degree oil adaptor but it looks a bit neater with the oil filter tucked up.

Hopefully next update is an engine that runs again. Engine bay could do with a little bit of a clean too...

Click image for larger version  Name:	90deg oil.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	10048796
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Ac comp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	10048795

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_165302.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	10048797

Comment

Well its all back together.

arguably no notable changes as it was all maintenance. but i fixed a few oil leaks, tidied everything up and looks much tidier.

But removing those exhaust ports definitely changed the sound of the engine. hard to explain. its definitely quieter. and i dunno, maybe more "modern" sounding? anyway, sounds way better. probably just sounds like every other M20 that didn't have the stupid air ports....

i adjusted the tappets while i was in there and found 2 there were slightly higher clearance. I have a feeling some of the ecentrics are starting to flat spot but i stuffed around on a few of them for ages and got them all all pretty spot on. sounds like a nice sewing machine now, definitely got rid of a couple distinctive of tick tick ticks.

Next job is probably to sort out some shorter ignition leads. you can see the LS1 coils in the battery tray area and i just pieced together the best i could using 2 sets of oem leads. but as mine used to go all the way down to the dizzy in the side of the block they are all too long anyway. id like the leads to go around the other side of the strut tower and then i can route them back inside the spark plug lead holder properly. Im wondering if i can just get new plugs for the ls1 coils and just shorten the oem leads. might be an option.

But its been like this for years, so it will do for the time being...close the bonnet and just drive it!

edit: lookin at that photo i really should get a new coolant resevoir! so much yellow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m20e30.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	10049813

Comment

Working...
        X