Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
    I saw these this morning. They look really good on your car, Mike.
    Thanks! Your car looks AMAZING!

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
    Love the post about the origins of the Turbofan, was actually going to ask about how they attached and you beat me to it! Very cool, glad someone as detail oriented as yourself got ahold of them and posted all about it!
    Yeah, I figured not everyone knows the story behind them and/or knows how they mount. They basically have a hubcentric ring that the hex cap presses into place. They even have some relief areas on the fan "blades" for optimal balance. These are really well put together, just like the originals. I've had them on the car for a mix of backroads and highways and they stay silent, don't move, and don't contact the wheel lips or faces.

Originally posted by econti View Post
    Man that looks stunning
    Thanks! Definitely a fun addition with a bit of a story and some relevant history.

A couple more photos:

DSC_0893 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0842 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0885 by mike.bevels, on Flickr
    Last edited by mike.bmw; 10-06-2020, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Looks great on your car!

Those replicas cant be cheap though! they are injection molded, I can spot some of the ejector pin faces.
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Turbo fans! That's a cool move

Comment

Looks badass! I think you may have convinced me to get a set of BBS's (not necessarily with turbofans). I have been on the fence for a while, but this is just so cool that it may have pushed me over the edge...

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
            Looks great on your car!

Those replicas cant be cheap though! they are injection molded, I can spot some of the ejector pin faces.
            Thanks! Not cheap, but way cheaper than a set of originals.

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
            Turbo fans! That's a cool move
            I see what you did there.

Originally posted by Nate37 View Post
            Looks badass! I think you may have convinced me to get a set of BBS's (not necessarily with turbofans). I have been on the fence for a while, but this is just so cool that it may have pushed me over the edge...
            Do it!

At risk of posting too many photos (too late, I know), I drove out to the place my wife and I got married 11 years ago to take some photos this morning. It was a bit of a trial run as I'm hoping to take some photos of someone else's E30 at the same location in the coming weeks.

Fans off, pre sunrise

DSC_0716 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Fans on, sun coming up:

DSC_0735 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0730 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0773 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0748 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0793 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

You know, I think you need a black spoiler with the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                You know, I think you need a black spoiler with the fans.
                You're right. An MT1 spoiler (black surround with alpine white insert) might look pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

You're right. An MT1 spoiler (black surround with alpine white insert) might look pretty good.
                  I was thinking "is" spoiler with a splitter, and after looking around it was Zender that always photographed their cars with turbofans, but an MT1 type valence would look great too. Clearly, one of those options is more readily reversible than the others.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

I was thinking "is" spoiler with a splitter, and after looking around it was Zender that always photographed their cars with turbofans, but an MT1 type valence would look great too. Clearly, one of those options is more readily reversible than the others.
                    Ahhhh, I thought you meant the trunk spoiler (which is why I suggested the MT1 trunk spoiler). Yes, the car has always looked unbalanced with the alpine white front spoiler. I had replaced the busted original "is" lip/spoiler with a new OEM piece that I had painted a few years ago. In hindsight, I should've just painted it black.

Comment

You know, if you really wanted to do a rear spoiler change I have a NIB Pfeba unit that bolts in place of the "is" winglet.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

100% an Mt1 would really suit your car!
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Last weekend east met west. If anyone is following on the FaceBook R3V group, freeride53 is taking an EPIC road trip in his '91 318i sedan. He started in California and has been making his was across the U.S. There have been some bumps along the way, but he has been persistent and is still going strong. I really look forward to seeing a summary of the entire trip.

He was in the Washington D.C. area last weekend and we met up briefly at my place - masked up and socially distanced of course. It was super cool meeting him and checking out his car in person, something I'd never thought would happen as we live 3,000+ miles apart. I've followed his latest thread for a long time and it has been an inspiration. In addition to hanging out, his power steering belt had decided to abandon him the day before, so I donated the relatively new one from my car (we had called around and the closest 10x800 v-belt was an hour away).

Good luck on the rest of your road trip, Sina!

DSC_0705 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0713 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

20201011_122457 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

I think He’s up to ~20 states driven so far... ahh to be young again.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It was a solid weekend of E30ing. I met up with fresh_TD early Sunday morning to take some photos of his recently completed slicktop '91 318is. He has gone through this car bottom to top over the course of this year. He has disassembled and replaced, refurbished, or thoroughly cleaned pretty much everything on the car. The fresh paint looks amazing. He really did an amazing job with this one. It's an inspiration.

DSC_0755 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Of course I had to take some of the cars together. This may be the last time at this location. The security guard was very nice (seriously), but after 40 minutes of photos he respectfully asked us to wrap things up and head out. :-)

DSC_0815 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0783 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And a rolling shot on the way out...

DSC_0824 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

I spotted an interesting location along one of my regular routes. That's Dulles Airport in the background. I thought the sunrise and low-lying fog in the open field looked nice.

DSC_0726 (1) by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0714 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Next weekend I'll be taking the E30 on a "Fall Foliage Tour" setup by my local BMW CCA chapter, the National Capital Chapter. It's a full day of driving a planned route of exciting roads all over the state.

Comment

Bare BBS RS look so nice, but the fans are incredible... Oh to have decisions like that
                                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X