No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top tip on spark plugs to close off the lines. If you don't already have some, those thread in plastic brake line/fitting plugs, similar to what you might see with new calipers, also work well, as do non-cut dispenser tips for RTV tubes.

Comment

Man, you take some b-e-a-u-tiful pictures!

What a build thread!
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
        Man, you take some b-e-a-u-tiful pictures!

What a build thread!
        Thanks! I have a lot to learn about photography, but learning is an enjoyable part of the process. Up until recently, I've only occasionally used the basic editing capabiltiies of "Preview" on the Mac. Usually I just post what comes off the camera without any edits. I've started to learn a bit more about editing and I've been able to improve some older photos that I didn't think could be saved / made presentable. Here are a couple of those:

DSC_0529 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0544 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Here's a quick update on the fuel pump replacement. Over the past few days I've put about ~200 miles on the car, which included a mix of highway and backroads to some cool hiking spots with the family. Here are some things I've observed:
          - 3rd gear pulls don't fall flat above 5500 rpm. It just keeps pulling. Within the last year with the old fuel pump, there wasn't any power left above 5500 rpm.
          - There's a healthy amount of black soot on the tailpipe. Within the last year with the old fuel pump, the inside of the tail pipe was oddly clean all the time.
          - When I coast to a light the rpms don't dip down like they did before.
          - The car doesn't seem to jerk forward as much when I take my foot off the throttle.
          - The car seems to have more "pep" when getting on the throttle.

So, based on a few of these things I'm thinking the old fuel pump was pretty tired.
          Last edited by mike.bmw; 08-31-2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

I did a thing... TURBOFANS.

DSC_0862 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0842 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0892 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0822 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Fans look great ! Are these Oem? If so what are they going for these days??
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
              IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                Fans look great ! Are these Oem? If so what are they going for these days??
                Thanks! Not OEM, but they were produced from a scanned OEM turbofan. Fitment is perfect, quality is great, and they cost a fraction of the $1.5-$2K an original set goes for these days. I went back and forth with the manufacturer for a couple months and I'm very pleased with the result.

DSC_0813 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Please share the vendor if you don’t mind. PM if necessary. Thanks again and keep posting great updates. 👍🏽

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Please share the vendor if you don’t mind. PM if necessary. Thanks again and keep posting great updates.

BMWCCA #398608
                    IG @yagayo38

Comment

Hilarious wheel choice, but also great. We need more info.

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                        Thanks for the reply! Please share the vendor if you don’t mind. PM if necessary. Thanks again and keep posting great updates.

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        Hilarious wheel choice, but also great. We need more info.
                        Thanks, guys!

These are installed on my BBS RS001s and are replicas of the turbofans BBS made specific to BBS RS001s/RS003s. They are utterly ridiculous, totally retro, and I absolutely love them.

Here's a high-level read about the history of the turbofan: https://petrolicious.com/articles/th...-to-the-street

To quote the article:

Dubbed, in totally consistent ’70s lingo, “turbofans,” these wheel attachments were the ultimate embodiment of form following function. Often painted up in garish but gorgeous contrasting colors, made of exotic magnesiums and kevlars, and sporting downright evil-looking knife-like air ducting, you knew that any car donning a set of ’fans meant business.

Turbofans are arguably just plain old awesome as material objects, but the real value comes from using their origins and current popularity to understand the relationship between race engineering and street car customization. BBS, the undisputed king of the turbofan, even went so far as to offer non-racing customers bolt-on covers for their RSes (as seen in the red-white colorway in the included advertisement).

I think we should look back on this trend with the most rose-tinted glasses we can find; through turbofans we can see the endless pursuit of gaining an edge on competition (they represent an idea taken to the edge) as well as the dynamic relationship between function and form, between physics and style. Anyone who thinks they look like hubcaps just doesn’t get it.
                        Here's the backside of the replica. The only place it comes in contact with the wheel is the center hub where the locking nut secures it.

DSC_0814 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

So to install them, you remove the center hex nut (which unscrews from the wheel), remove the center "waffle" and put the turbofan in its place, then reinstall the center hex nut. Here's an example that I took from the article linked above:

this-is-how-turbofan-wheels-evolved-from-racing-to-the-street-1476934313699 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And one more photo for good measure:

DSC_0825 by mike.bevels, on Flickr
                        Last edited by mike.bmw; 10-04-2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

I saw these this morning. They look really good on your car, Mike.
                            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Love the post about the origins of the Turbofan, was actually going to ask about how they attached and you beat me to it! Very cool, glad someone as detail oriented as yourself got ahold of them and posted all about it!
                              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Man that looks stunning
                                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X