No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapped some photos this morning in my usual spots. I played with some features on the camera for various effects. I'm happy with how they turned out!

Comment

I am so glad I jumped on a set of these wheels as well. Thanks for posting! Car looks stunning...now I just need spring to roll around
      1991 318is
      2004 330ci
      2011 335d

Comment

Looks awesome. And thank you for posting the details on your choice between 55 Vs 50 sidewall tires. I had the same dilemma but now this has helped me make a final choice. Thanks!
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Those Ronal's on a perfectly clean Alpine white car look amazing. The reasonably deep lip on the wheels looks very correct on E30's.

MJ

Comment

Car is looking very clean! What's next? Side skirts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
              I am so glad I jumped on a set of these wheels as well. Thanks for posting! Car looks stunning...now I just need spring to roll around
              Nice! They're going to look great on your car.

Originally posted by Powling View Post
              Looks awesome. And thank you for posting the details on your choice between 55 Vs 50 sidewall tires. I had the same dilemma but now this has helped me make a final choice. Thanks!
              No problem. I really would've liked to run something like the Star Spec (available in 205/50), but the 205/55 is the closest-to-stock size and works well on a stock-ish ride height like mine. I'm impressed with the Yokohama S Drives so far.

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
              Those Ronal's on a perfectly clean Alpine white car look amazing. The reasonably deep lip on the wheels looks very correct on E30's.

MJ
              Thanks!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              Car is looking very clean! What's next? Side skirts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
              Thanks! No quite sure what is coming next. I've been looking for a small case 4.10 LSD. I may need to move my exhaust plans up as I think I have a small leak (need to confirm). I'd also like to repair my driver's side seat bolster as the vinyl has started to crack in a couple spots.
              Last edited by mike.bmw; 12-30-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                No problem. I really would've liked to run something like the Star Spec (available in 205/50), but the 205/55 is the closest-to-stock size and works well on a stock-ish ride height like mine. I'm impressed with the Yokohama S Drives so far.
                Agreed with this - I sized down by '5' when I ordered new tires (Falken 615K's) and its visibly noticeable to me how much smaller the tire sidewall looks. And I'm lower than you as well, its still noticeable. I'll be sizing back up when I get new wheels and tires next season.
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

I'm a sucker for some clean stock basketweaves but I must say those Ronals really suit your car very well! Good choice
                  1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                    I'm a sucker for some clean stock basketweaves but I must say those Ronals really suit your car very well! Good choice
                    Thanks! I just cleaned up the stock basketweaves yesterday. I may refinish the 4 that were on the car. The spare wheel doesn't appear to have ever been out of the trunk. It's the original spare tire with no wear, which I swapped for one with a good tire.

Comment

The Ronals look fantastic on your car! Very nice. My wife & I plan to move back out to DC in the next year or two. I look forward to seeing your car in person one day!

Cheers
                      1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                      SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                      Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                        The Ronals look fantastic on your car! Very nice. My wife & I plan to move back out to DC in the next year or two. I look forward to seeing your car in person one day!

Cheers
                        Thanks! The photos in your thread and comments on tire choice made this an easy decision. :) I'd definitely like to check your car out too.

In other news I've started a Group Buy for the Strömung Catback.

Comment

Ronals look awesome and great shots of the car. The Stromung will be an awesome addition as well!
                          1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                          1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                          September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                          Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

A couple of things...

Maintenance

Knocked out some maintenance a couple weeks ago:
                            - oil and filter change (Mobil 1 15W-50, Mahle filter)
                            - air filter change (Mahle)
                            - spark plug change (NGK BKR6EK)
                            - checked and adjusted the tension and condition of the drive belts
                            - cleaned and lubed the Girling slider pins in the calipers
                            - swapped out a melted brake wear sensor from the last track day
                            - re-lubed the backs of the pads to eliminate some brake pad squeal

The goods:

5th Wheel

I decided to order a 5th Ronal LS to keep "just in case". I left a nice review for Performance Alloys and they asked if I had any pictures of the wheels on my car. I sent some along (because I'm a photo whore) and they used them on their Ronal LS page:

5th wheel:

Road Trip for Small Case S4.10

Today I took another ~240 mile road trip, similar in distance as the trip for the BBS RS001s. After a long off/on search (nearly 2 years), a fellow R3V member, Vfrinterceptor, reached out and said he had a small case S4.10. He sent along some photos, we agreed on a price, and setup a time for pickup today.

My buddy who came along last time couldn't make it, but my daughter jumped at the idea of coming along. As with all my parts road trips, wings were for lunch. Same Buffalo Wild Wings chain as last time, which was only a few miles from the pickup location. Much eye-spy and 20 questions was played, much Raffi and Rocknoceros was sung. It was some great one-on-one time with my daughter.

I took my 2015 328 M Sport Wagon for the trip. It was 10 degrees out, extremely windy, and we hit up IKEA on the way home so I needed some space. The car was pelted with rocks, sand and salt from the previous snow storm as well as some road debris so I'm glad I wasn't in the E30.

Vfrinterceptor is a great guy. I had forgotten/didn't think to bring rope to secure the diff. He gave me some rope he had as well as used his tie-down skills to secure the diff. A good thing too because there was a near pile-up on 95 that required some hard braking (no, I wasn't following too close).

The route:

The small case S4.10 is in great shape. I barely need to clean it (but I will anyway). I plan to change out the fluid (any recommendations?) and order the Garagistic stud kit for installation. I'll get around to installing this in the next month or 2. Hopefully the stud kit makes it an easier one-man job.

The small case S4.10:

In closing, this was a very long winded post. If you've made it this far, good for you. I mostly keep this thread going for myself as I like to look back on it from time to time and recall the fun experiences with friends and family. The next major updates will likely be a diff installation and an exhaust installation. Or perhaps I'll post-whore some photos. ;D
                            Last edited by mike.bmw; 01-22-2019, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              My buddy who came along last time couldn't make it, but my daughter jumped at the idea of coming along. As with all my parts road trips, wings were for lunch. Same Buffalo Wild Wings chain as last time, which was only a few miles from the pickup location. Much eye-spy and 20 questions was played, much Raffi and Rocknoceros was sung. It was some great one-on-one time with my daughter.
                              In closing, this was a very long winded post. If you've made it this far, good for you. I mostly keep this thread going for myself as I like to look back on it from time to time and recall the fun experiences with friends and family. The next major updates will likely be a diff installation and an exhaust installation. Or perhaps I'll post-whore some photos. ;D
                              Trimmed down the "long winded post" but left the pieces I wanted to comment about. The first is that I love how involved your daughter is, its something I picture for my someday child. Being a gearhead is likely in her future, if not then just knowing how to DIY basic car stuff... but the time together is heartwarming

As far as sharing the long winded posts with us, I dont think any adult minds it one bit, as we are all here enjoying and loving our cars. I appreciate the details you share with us. I use my build threads for basically the same reason. Its fun to go back and see previous pics, journeys, headaches, etc

Keep it coming!
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Why a small case, out of interest? Be warned that friends have had them blow up behind a M10 on a track
                                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
                                X