• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
    would love to see more on the garage!
    Thanks, I'll take some when everything is in it's final place

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
    That's quite the space! All those Mk 1 Golfs are cool - is that a 2002 touring on the rotisserie at the back of the shop?
    Thanks! a 1.1 Golf, and two GTI's (all small lights)
    And yes, that is a 2002 Touring my brother and I are restoring, quite a bit of work on it though :)
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Man, thats quite a garage... The frustrating this is that as big as it is you will eventually feel like you need more space! Always works out that way
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Man, thats quite a garage... The frustrating this is that as big as it is you will eventually feel like you need more space! Always works out that way
        Oh yeah, for sure!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

This weekend I made some time to get the rear exhaust fitted on to the Touring.
          Rubber hangers were included with the exhaust but the old one still looked fine so I'll keep them as spares.

The old exhaust was a little tires, there are a couple of holes near the bracket for the rubber hanger as well as the little plate that keeps the tubes together is paper thin.
          Brand listed on the exhaust is Ferroz, ever heard of it though

And a little update on the workshop, we fitted new LED lights as well as all the electrical wiring. We still need to finish painting the wall on the right but happy with how it turned out thus far.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

A couple of friend and I are organizing a classic car drive event in the Summer.
            Last Sunday we checked the roadbook that was made, great driving roads, and there are some fast sections as well :)

I took my camera with me to take a couple of pictures.. Enjoy..
            Friends 325i Touring

Original Mtech 1 325i, stroked to 2.7l

And the iX Touring ofc!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Good looking trio
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                Good looking trio
                Thanks, felt good to drive it again!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Last weekend I took the E30 to a friends place to watch the Ronde van Vlaanderen cycling competition. The arrival is in my hometown if anyone here follows the Belgian cycling..
                  Anyway, when going to my friends place, I had a hard time getting the E30 fired up and keeping an idle - it ran fine last time I drove it..
                  I need to raise the rpm a few seconds for it not to shut of and find it's idle again

Video of it running:
                  Cold start of my 325iX Touring.When revving to 2k for a few seconds, the car idles fine.But has a strong smell of fuel..

Today I looked a little bit further into the problem.
                  I first checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail, got 3bars while running so that's fine. I let it sit and after 1 hour it went to 2;5bar.

I removed the injectors, suspecting there would be a leaky injector, causing it to run pretty rich on start up, thus having to clear the extra fuel by raising the rpm.
                  After jumping the fuel pump relay, I could not spot any drip of fuel coming out the the injectors. I also cleaned up the ICV, although it was buzzing just fine and the little flap moved freely.
                  Got everything back together and it ran fine, not sure if I should have let it sat a little longer or I really did fix it.. I guess I'll have to start it again some other day.
                  Almost forgot, I also checked for vacuum leaks but couldn't see anything leaking.

I also repaired the undertray, I hadn't fitted it yet since the incident in the Alps. However now I can't find the hardware to fix it. guess I'll order some new..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It's normal to lose some injector pressure after sitting, I think your problem is elsewhere.
                    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                      It's normal to lose some injector pressure after sitting, I think your problem is elsewhere.
                      I started the E30 again last night after letting it sit for a while. It's definitely better, just still hunting for it's idle, after a raising the rpm a little it's fixed..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I haven't figured out the idling issue, I did order new temp sensors since I wanted to get a new brown one because that sensor I haven't replaced yet since owning the car.
                        We'll see if this "fixes" the coolant temp needle sitting just over the half of the gauge. I ordered a new ERA fuel pump as well, pump including the whole assembly since I was able to get a pretty good deal.
                        I noticed the pump getting quite loud when I jumped the fuel pump relay to test the injectors.

In the meantime I decided to swap out the original front differential with a unit I bought maybe 1 or 2 years ago. The car is rather loud when accelerating and maintaining a high speed on the highway.
                        Since it's the only thing I haven't touched yet on the entire driveline.. fingers crossed.

Old on the left, "new" on the right.

I decided to remove the covers on both diffs, but only got a picture of my original one. I could see a lot of metal shavings.. The spare one wasn't nearly as bad.

And this is the wear on the crown wheel of the differential

I still need to button up a few things like the input axle for the diff and then we can make a test drive..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Well that was a succes, I drove the E30 back home after changing the front differential, while the car was on jack stands anyway; I decided to also top off the transmission fluid.
                          The car is noticeably less loud when driving 90kmph (60mph) than it was before. Should have replaced it a long time ago.. oh well :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Last time that we made a short drive, I took my camera with me and snapped a couple of pictures of my friends and my car.
                            They asked if I'd wanted to take a couple more so we decided to make a little drive and hit up a couple of spots while it's blossom season.

Only a couple of all the pictures I took;

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Got some more things done on the 325iX.
                              I was still having the same issue with the idle not being constant. It eventually got worse with the car just stalling unless revving a little bit.
                              Using some kind of trouble shooting guide from BMW, I checked the wiring at the ECU and everything checked out fine.

I then tried to replace the ICV and AFM from my uncles iX to mine, but that didn't solve it neither. Talking with a friend about my problem, he suggested to check the compression when cold.
                              Today I finally had some time and I got 10-11bar on all cylinders. I too got some new sparkplugs (the old one were still fine) and I did notice the new pump being a little loud, so I decided to replace the fuel filter, because why not it's cheap anyway.
                              Well, it's idling great now..

I also got started on removing the headlights, bought all new hardware, new wiring plug housings, some new wiring to make the loom a little nicer for the aim assist motors. (in Germany it was mandatory to have headlight aim assist in the 90s)
                              Since the original hydraulic stuff starts leaking after a while, it got converted to an electric system (from a Ford Fiesta) I found out it's a pretty popular mod in Germany after googling a little bit.

Electric motor and the SWRA motor, it's pretty cramped at the left front corner with the ABS pump as well

Headlight rings still look great

The adjusters are completely seized and the plastic end caps just crumbled away..

Couple pictures of the wiring, I'm going to redo the little white bracket for the switch as well since. The previous owner used the Ford Fiesta stuff to mount the switch

The power is taken from the park/city lights. I'm still contemplating if I will go the same route or take some power from under the dash some where, maybe the C302 accessory connector.?
                              Although I can't seem to find the correct pins/plug to use with this connector

I also got some paint that matches the original color pretty good, since there is some rust on the front the housings/reflectors

And finally, I got around to the mounting of the SWRA iX reservoir.
                              The original BMW retrofit guide tells you use the little plastic nut (if your car had a metal stud from factory) OR drill a hole for a M8 bolt. I was able to source some studs from a friend that converted his E36 to full race car.
                              But in the meantime, I printed a little pin. The plastic nut/clip is a press fit onto this pin, it's pretty solid + printed in ABS so should do well with the engine bay temps.

Last edited by D.Martijn; 05-14-2022, 07:53 AM.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

You need to send me that STL!
                                We are already in contact on instagram :-)

@uberkaro is my username

Comment

Working...
                                X