Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

I've had this car for a year now and Im thinking I might actually keep it. Bought it last year when my E30 was in limbo and I had actually been thinking about getting something else to daily to take LA's abuse. I had already put 36k miles in the 18 months in LA and though it wasnt too bad daily driving the car there were some very clear shortfalls. Thats another story, this is about the Benz.

I dont have the original pics on my phone anymore, so you get a screenshot from my instagram.

So, why this thing? Well, I knew if I bought a BMW, it would get a long list of mods and thats really not something I wanted to do. The day I bought this car, I actually started the day test driving a 128i M-sport, 6 speed car. It was nice, but too expensive for what it was. It also wasnt very exciting. This began a long, frustrating day of driving a few other cars and visiting a few different dealerships. Drove the 128i, a 535i, C250 coupe and eventually after venting to the MB dealership sales dude, he suggested giving the C350 a try. I had driven all the cars on the same route and each one felt too disconnected between me and the road. He suggested I try this one, and it felt different. Long story short, I negotiated to the price I wanted and bought the car that day.

I immediately took the front plate and frame off, removed all the stupid warning labels, dealership plate frame. Sprayed the amber blinkers with some silver paint I had to clean up the headlights and that was it. Just a few simple things...Until recently. Ive had an itch to modify it more. I bought a Magnaflow x-pipe a while ago from a r3v member and have been sitting on it. More than that though, Ive really wanted to lower it. I wanted to do it without modifying the suspension, but there really was no guaranteed way to get the front lower. The rear was easy because MB has multiple thickness rear spring pads, but the front doesn't offer such a simple solution.

Add to that, boredom at work and craigslist surfing and I came upon some spacers. ohh $20, no problem. Then I bought the extended lugs. And then I found another set of spacers and extended lugs. Cars looking better now, and I am definitely going to lower the car. I wheeled and dealed a supersprint x-pipe from a C63 to get a full C63 AMG suspension that only has 7k miles on it, plus some cash that I will use to buy H&R springs for the C350. I will be getting this all installed soon along with the x-pipe.

Here are some before and after shots:

Front setup

And the rear

I hope to have the car lowered here in the next few weeks and will get some more before and after pics.
    Last edited by 2mAn; 08-18-2020, 05:01 PM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

sub'd
    i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

So you do have an insta? I've looked for you on there without any luck haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
      Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
      1967 2002 parts car
      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

I've liked the look of these since they came out. Never really been a Benz guy otherwise (alright, maybe for really old stuff, wagons, or 190e cosworth + trims)
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

thanks guys, Im the same way about Benz cars. Ive liked the way these looked and when it drove nice too I was sold. It was also a way for me to "save myself from myself" by not having a car that has a huge aftermarket. This one is also a "sport" equipped model with a bunch of different packages, including the 18" AMG wheels so the urge to "improve" things wasnt huge. This car, like every car out there, needs a drop though

I really wanted a diesel Benz to daily, but couldnt find anything good. Im happy with this car overall
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

That's funny, I'm in the same boat. The only MBZ cars that ever appealed to me are old wagon's, cosworth 190E's and this exact model. I've never even known what it's called but whenever I pass one on the freeway, I think "that's the only newish Mercedes that I like". This is just aesthetically speaking though, I've never actually driven one.

A diesel would be sweet, it's too bad we don't get more of them in the US. I was just in Switzerland/Italy for the past two weeks and was admiring the huge variety of diesel cars they get there.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
            --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
              That's funny, I'm in the same boat. The only MBZ cars that ever appealed to me are old wagon's, cosworth 190E's and this exact model. I've never even known what it's called but whenever I pass one on the freeway, I think "that's the only newish Mercedes that I like". This is just aesthetically speaking though, I've never actually driven one.

A diesel would be sweet, it's too bad we don't get more of them in the US. I was just in Switzerland/Italy for the past two weeks and was admiring the huge variety of diesel cars they get there.

Great minds think alike. My brother already has a gray market 190e-16v, so that's already in the family and we've both owned several German diesels in the past but the selection of newer ones is lacking. I like the smaller cars so I didn't want an E-class but that's the only diesel sedan they offer here. I like the 250 diesel they offer though. A twin turbo 4 cylinder diesel? Yes, please. I dream about swapping that into this car but then I laugh myself back into reality at the thought of doing such a swap.

Besides these 350 motors are pretty bulletproof from what I've seen. I don't know the engine codes besides the M154, I think, but I really like the AMG 6.3 too.

This car has been great and I just picked up some h&r lowering springs yesterday to pair with the C63 struts and shocks. No
              Pics of the springs but here's everything I got from the C63

It hasn't been all fun though, about a month ago I couldn't get the car to start even though everything seemed fine the hour prior when I had driven it. It wasn't turning over or anything. Turns out there's a known problem with the electronic steering lock. Luckily I have a friend of a friend who's a Benz tech at an Indy and got it repaired for less than half of what a dealership charges.

It still wasn't cheap but when you see what is involved in the repair it makes sense.... well everything except the whole reason of requiring the repair but I digress.

Here's the pics the tech sent me

Yes that's the steering column removed from my car

There's the trouble maker

Anyways now that that's out of the way I should have some cool updates coming up with the goodies I just bought
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

2Man,
                Too funny/Ironic! I'm thinking of getting into this same exact make/model of Benz! lol
                My current daily is a 2004 BMW 330ci & I'm thinking 2008-09 Benz C350. I need to read up on maintenance for this car. I'm looking to stay under 15K..
                Any words of wisdom?
                CAPP :-)

Comment

I got mine for a lot less than 15k. The 08 is (I think) the first year of the w204 body and I guess they came out with a lot of the sport models initially. Navigation sucks but I never use it anyway. Car has good power and is really nice inside. You should be able to find a nice one with under 100k for no more than 10
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Finally got a few minutes today to add on these depo side markers I got from the guy selling the h&r springs. Subtle change but really adds to the look.

Before:

After:
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

My friend had one just like that. I really enjoyed driving and riding in it.
                      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                        My friend had one just like that. I really enjoyed driving and riding in it.
                        They really are nice cars, my only wish is that the navigation would be a much more modern unit with current traffic conditions, but I have no clue if thats even possible with these.

I actually really wanted a clownshoe. They are on my list of cars, but I would modify the sh!t out of one if I got it. I was really getting an itch to trade this in for one at some random car dealership here in LA, but it was just the M52 (not M54) and it had the 4 speed auto which of all the options available is the worst, so I never bothered to look further into it.

The main thing I need to do now is to buy the strut caps so I can get this suspension installed.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          They really are nice cars, my only wish is that the navigation would be a much more modern unit with current traffic conditions, but I have no clue if thats even possible with these.

I actually really wanted a clownshoe. They are on my list of cars, but I would modify the sh!t out of one if I got it. I was really getting an itch to trade this in for one at some random car dealership here in LA, but it was just the M52 (not M54) and it had the 4 speed auto which of all the options available is the worst, so I never bothered to look further into it.

The main thing I need to do now is to buy the strut caps so I can get this suspension installed.
                          Indeed they are. Cheaper than I expected too, compared to when they were new. I just figured out of warranty they'd be a nightmare, but probably aren't bad.

Clownshoes are awesome. Of course the M cars are preferred and it's the car I shouldn't have sold /broken record. But yeah the 4 speed auto is tragically bad in Z3's or many BMW 4 speed autos in general IMO. James May had the same auto in a Z3 he had in the middle east special on Top Gear did a few years ago. It's just not worth it when you can get a 5 speed manual car. You made the right call.
                          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Was meeting up with a guy to pick up my shortened housings for the E30 and the car was looking good so I thought I'll take a few quick pics.

I can't wait until this car is lowered. Once the E30 has its coilovers on and dialed in this thing is getting its suspension installed too
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

And Brabus wheels...
                              Byron
                              Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                              X