Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Not worth doing for one socket, and they might not go for it, but Lowes and Ace sometimes honor the old Craftsman warranties. I would suggest, go in to the store, locate the comparable item on their shelves (maybe look online first) and then take both to customer service. I have had success doing that, and failure just taking the item to the service desk. I've only bothered for ratchet wrenches and the like, and doing it classic Sears style with a pile of broken stuff probably won't go down well.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Alright. "done" again... just need to get the wheels/tires on it and replace the last set of bushings I got. Then its just polishing this turd and seeing if it turns into a diamond (it wont)

Working from home today meant a double shift.

Hmmm, I dont think they are supposed to split like that haha

All new hardware, not sure if these bolts are actually better than the OEM ones, but went ahead and replaced them anyways. Stuffed her with all the grease she could take and slapped it in.

Finished with just one casualty. Luckily its a Craftsmen with a lifetime warranty. I think I've had these for ~20 years, at least. Just have to find a Sears

I think I'm going to just paint the 'BBS' wheels so I can get them on...

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Be sure to give us a B4 and B4 after comparison...
    I will!... as soon as I replace the driverside axle which has decided 1000 miles of me is enough. It knows that what the driving will be like now that it can shift and handle LOL

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Be sure to give us a B4 and B4 after comparison...

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Well, suspension is ~99% done. I had to buy a "Strut Spreading Tool" and worked a little here and there in between the freaking monsoon weather that happened this weekend.

Only pic I took of the suspension, H&R Lowering Springs & Bilstein B4. Suspension that came out was original to the car and very tired, so Im excited to drive this thing. Especially when I get the wheels and tires on the car.

Almost "done"

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
    Those parts could be straight out of an A2, amazing how slowly designs change.
    I think you mean A3 / Mk3 because that cable shifter mechanism is probably exactly the same. A2 / Mk2 was still a rod linkage ...

Im disappointed that none of you has yet suggested a Ute conversion

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Those parts could be straight out of an A2, amazing how slowly designs change.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Alright, so after installing the RCD head unit I was motivated to get the diesel geek shifter rebuild as my shifter has been pretty vague. A bunch of before and afters incoming:

Old bushings

New bushings installed

And finally the “super slider” which was the easiest install, but exposed what might be the final piece of the puzzle.

The center plastic bushing on the bell crank has a ton of slop, so hopefully I can get it somewhere

Final look inside.

I had bought a new shift boot and knob from eBay searching for a vendor that didn’t have red stitching as they all seemed to be coming from the same source, but sadly this one did too. It’s annoying but life goes on. I also took the opportunity to clean up the parts. Wifey wasn’t home so I used the sink and overall I feel the car is slightly better. A step in the right direction

Leave a comment:

• BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Sand lightly mask tire, paint wheels. Done.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by strickland View Post
    Glob on that stripper—MORE!— and give it 10-15 mins… repeat. I find it’s more satisfying to strip a smaller area to completion vs slowly chipping away on all of it.
    I was giving it the 15 minutes, but I like your approach to tackle one spot at a time. I will try that next...

Panici This is about as harsh as you can get with strippers in California. Remember, we're "Commiefornia" here so we cant have fun

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Used to be able to get "aircraft stripper", but they've stopped selling it in Canada. Is it still available in your area?
    Paint just melts off with the stuff, but not sure how it would react with aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• strickland
    replied
    Glob on that stripper—MORE!— and give it 10-15 mins… repeat. I find it’s more satisfying to strip a smaller area to completion vs slowly chipping away on all of it.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    Unknown connector looks like some kind of replacement fuse+tap to hijack switched +12V in a removable way. I haven't seen that before.
    Originally posted by Panici View Post
    Looks like a clone of the the Littelfuse "Add-A-Circuit"
    Response back from the Vendor: That's an additional alternative. If the simulator can't solve your battery drainage problem, you can use another installation method to solve your battery drainage problem through that wire.

https://youtu.be/ioDwZJDc8Bk?si=6BGb-19w7d1p_yqb​​

Apparently the aftermarket headunits have an issue of draining the battery, but I bought an adapter (aka 'simulator') to save my headache of wiring which includes something that's supposed to fix that problem. We'll see if I need to use it. Will be a fun morning if/when the car is dead when I start the day

edit: In more "exciting" news, I was able to change the rear suspension this weekend in the middle of a rainstorm (shitbox doesn't get to kick the 911 out of the garage), front will have to wait until this weekend (hopefully). Suspension is H&R Sport springs (~1" Lowering) and Bilstein B4. Price was a larger factor here than performance hence B4 VS B8.

I have also been prepping the wheels. In a fun turn of events, these "BBS" wheels turned out to be 3 different wheels. Fronts will be BBS Reps that need a hubcentric ring and an et40 offset. Rears were claimed to be et35, but upon closer inspection ONE was et35 and the other was et50. Also fun fact is that the et50 wheel is a genuine BBS wheel, and doesn't need a hubcentric ring, but needs a spacer to clear the inner workings of suspension and wheel well.

SH!TBOX at its finest...

I have a pair of 15mm spacers so the rear will be et35. I also found a single genuine BBS wheel that appears to match the et50 wheel... but who knows if I will actually buy it. Full size spare would be nice, so maybe... at least the offsets will look good when its all said and done. FYI These pics are with the gigantic tires that will be replaced with some Michelin Pilot Sport 4s in a 215/40 that are BRZ take-offs. Excellent tread and not 10 year old tires.

I HATE black wheels, so I've been working on removing the sh!tty black paint

The paint remover is working, but slowly. I tried to use a self-wash and its high pressure water and am making progress. I wish there was a better. faster way to do this without spending $1000. Any tips, please let me know
    Last edited by 2mAn; 03-25-2024, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Looks like a clone of the the Littelfuse "Add-A-Circuit"

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Unknown connector looks like some kind of replacement fuse+tap to hijack switched +12V in a removable way. I haven't seen that before.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X