July 2017 Car of the Month: glnr13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2017 Car of the Month: glnr13

***Editors Note: I met Glen a few years back after I moved to LA and we both understood that there was something odd and awesome about these 84 318is so both of our cars have gone through some pretty crazy changes and Ive been eager to feature his. Luckily it all worked out and you get to see whats been hiding here under ours noses. Dont let that 318i badge fool you! Congrats Glen***

Factory options:
    1984 318i, build date 6/23/1983. Manual Sunroof, manual windows, no ac.

Color:
    OE saphirblau metallic, resprayed in BlueWater? unsure

Interior color:
    OE blue cloth, comfort seats.

Engine modifications:
    OE M10B18, M30B35 swapped in 2014, Garagistic mounts, SSSquid tuning chip

Exhaust:
    IE3 headers, Stromung exhaust

Transmission:
    Getrag240

Differential:
    3.46LSD

Suspension:
    IE3, koni adjustable F, strange engineering mustang adjustable R

Wheels:
    Enkei 92 15x8et25, 10mm spacer F, 15mm spacer R

Exterior modifications:
    Euro Bumpers

Interior modifications:
    Nardi Personal steering wheel, completely redone by Hyperion Interiors

Story behind the car:

I bought the E30 in 2011 as a simple and basic daily with no serious intentions of modifying it but that mindset didn't last long once I went to a few meets and canyon runs with other SoCal E30 enthusiasts. I started out with cosmetics: some smileys, euro grills, and euro bumpers. Refreshed the suspension and lowered it, picked up a set of Enkei 92s and a Personal steering wheel.

By 2014 the M10B18 was at 215,000 miles and needed a rebuild but I found an M30B35 for sale online not far away for a reasonable cost so I picked it up and started the refresh adding on a set of headers from IE and replacing almost everything on it with new parts. Bottom end was left untouched, head rebuilt. Injectors sent out to MEPEH for cleaning.

Shoehorned it into the E30 soon after the rebuild and bolted up the getrag 240 to it. New driveshaft, CSB, giubo along with a Z3 shifter lever and ZHP shift knob. Rebuilt some 325i calipers and vented rotors up front since the 318i came with non-vented and smaller calipers. Upgraded the rear trailing arms to disc and refreshed the rubber in that whole area since I was there with everything out.

I had Hyperion Upholstery redo my complete interior and bolstered up the comforts seats a bit to keep me locked into them, these seats are great on long drives. The E30 M3 flywheel lets the M30 wind up easily, couple that with the 3.46 LSD and it's a quick and fun ride. If you've never driven an M30 swapped e30 you should, the torque is a beautiful thing. While this car is neither pristine nor perfect it's a great driver on the streets and at the AutoX. I am proud to drive a survivor.

6 by joshua rizo

3 by joshua rizo

10 by joshua rizo

11 by joshua rizo

2 by joshua rizo

15 by joshua rizo

13 by joshua rizo

12 by joshua rizo

9 by joshua rizo

8 by joshua rizo

7 by joshua rizo
    Last edited by 2mAn; 07-02-2017, 11:07 PM.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

:)

Total sleeper. Well deserved.

Comment

Great work Must be quick with the M30 in the lightweight 318i shell (with the M10 in there, they were only 1050kg - some 200kg lighter than a late 325i auto!).

Love the sleeper aspect of it.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Very nice!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Awesome pictures! This thing is the definition of a sleeper. Well deserved

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
          Shadetree30

Comment

Nice. I love the fact that Simon has these ready to go right on the 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
              Nice. I love the fact that Simon has these ready to go right on the 1st.
              Sometimes it gets cut really close! haha I have to harass people sometimes to get it done on time. I work pretty hard to make sure they are ready to go before the beginning of the month
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Stock is 211hp on the M30 in a 1988 735i.

Conforti says his chip adds 43+ hp. we can call that 254hp. K&N cone filter advertises a 4% increase of 211hp. Thats around 8hp. That puts us at 262hp. Now I seriously doubt these M30 swap car put out 262hp. What say you? Does this feel faster than an S52?
                Last edited by Javier h; 07-02-2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I'm honored to have my car chosen for car of the month. Thanks guys! It's pretty pedestrian compared to a lot of the other great cars that have been featured but it's mine and I love it.

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                  Stock is 211hp on the M30 in a 1988 735i.

Conforti says his chip adds 43+ hp. we can call that 254hp. K&N cone filter advertises a 4% increase of 211hp. Thats around 8hp. That puts us at 262hp. Now I seriously doubt these M30 swap car put out 262hp. What say you? Does this feel faster than an S52?
                  Without a dyno session to show real numbers who knows what this thing actually puts out but I'll tell you this, it's a lot less than 262hp and it's no S52 killer.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've seen this car a few times at the meets and love the uniqueness as well as the sleeper look. Nice shots too. Simon, you need to edit the original post. I'm trying to read it but the waffles are making me hungry.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Love it

My first car was a 84' 318i and I swapped an M30 in my 89 325is. Good stuff.

The Build:
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        Simon, you need to edit the original post. I'm trying to read it but the waffles are making me hungry.

Haha I figured that was Glen just dropping F-bombs lol

I'll edit it now for you boo boo
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Very nice COTM!
                          My previous build (currently E30-less)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Awesome! Always have loved Glen's car. Such a clean m30 swap into the perfect chassis!

-NICK

Comment

He needs to move that battery to the back though, freakin nose heavy car with the m30, needs to try and offset it
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X