Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Austin. Crap your right man, I totally should have taken that bracket off the e34. I bet the car's been smashed, I might need to just buy a new one now at work..

Cha Ching, thanks man. Definitely a few changes happening in the build :D. You know, its my Dads and I asked him the same thing. He has no clue how he got it but it's definitely come in handy for a few jobs. One thing he said for certain is he didn't pay for it lol. As for the oil pan, it came from either a 94' or 95' 525i. Is there a difference in the pans over the years?

Leave a comment:

• Cha Ching
    replied
    Kevin, I'm diggin' this thread even more! Couple things...Where did you get that I-beam thing-a-ma-jig that's chained to your S50? Also, what year/motor oil pan did you get?

$40 is a good deal. Most guys want $200+ for the complete assembly.

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    Just install it on your mtech car and go have fun. Don't forget to go back and get the intake manifold brackets so your dipstick isn't flopping around in the wind.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Thanks guys. Actually I've never driven a swapped e30 in my entire life, nor been in one. It's funny to think about since I've been with e30's for years, know them like the back of my hand but this will be the first swapped one I've driven. A few of my friends are saying I should hold onto the S50 for a late model coupe so hopefully its the right decision putting it into a vert. I think it should still be a fun ride.

Leave a comment:

• Codym42
    replied
    What?! I didn't expect this after all the work that's gone into the m20. Have you ever driven a swapped e30? It totally transforms the car.

Can't wait to see the progress on this!

Leave a comment:

• nugentnsb
    replied
    I love build threads like these! Clean car, and good taste.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Well the engine arrived safely at my Dad's house, now in his garage. I borrowed my Opa's truck and drove over to my Dad's house with the engine in the truck bed resting on a tire. We mounted it up on his stand, it'll be receiving all new gaskets before going in the Mtech. Meanwhile I need to make a parts list and continue swap research.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    I am excited to see where this goes! [emoji317]

What prompted the swap? Are you planning on keeping the original drivetrain around in the event you want to swap back?

I’m excited myself! That e36 hauled ass I can’t even begin to think how it’s going to be in a e30.

To be honest, it was somewhat a impulse buy. I wasn’t even specifically looking for a M3 parts car or S50 engine. The price was right when I saw it listed for sale, it’s a 1995 car so it’s OBD 1 like I wanted to start off with if I ever did a swap. Plus, since I can’t afford a M3 these days I figured doing this would be the next best thing.

A swap has always been in the back of my mind but I knew I’d need to build it myself since I’m picky and want things done right, like the factory would have done it. Stay tuned for updates :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    I am excited to see where this goes! :devil:

What prompted the swap? Are you planning on keeping the original drivetrain around in the event you want to swap back?

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert

Well I've been doing tons of research on the swap and what parts I'll need to get it complete. First on the list was a e34 oil pan since the S50 wont clear properly. I went to my local yard and got lucky, under $40 bucks for everything!

Oil pan, Oil pickup and Dipstick tube.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 07-08-2018, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Small Update... :D. I purchased a 1995 e36 M3 on Wednesday, drove it home actually. Well I just got the engine out of it this afternoon, I'm sure you guys can see where this is going. Don't be sad, it looks better then it is. It is a completely rust free CA car though. Hopefully someone local want's a roller e36 because I sure don't.

Intake valves are extremely cleannn

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Thanks everyone, I'm glad she mad the journey :D. M20's are just great engines like 2Man said, no complaints about them really. Mike, you have no idea how much that side skirt's been bugging me. Not only were most the clips broken leaving it hanging but the paint was chipping off and was a eye sore every time you entered the car (you could only see the missing paint when the door was open and of course being an enthusiast you look at the flaw every time the doors open when you get in the car). I'm really happy I finally got that taken care of.

Well I made it home last night at around midnight. I have to say, this two day event thing they keep pushing for at bimmerfest really isn't working, they should return it to a one day event like it used to be. I spent probably 6 hours in the parking lot alone, to be honest didn't even make a full walk around in the venue were they have booths selling parts, ect. Lots of nice rides in the lots. I'm shocked at some of cars they pick out to put on display though, mismatched fasteners and/ or missing, obvious signs of a repaint, ect. I did see Matt-B's booth though, he was selling shift boots and a few other parts. We talked a little until my group wanted to continue on.

I continued on searching for another alpine white Mtech, or Mtech convertible in general and could only find a display car- the silver Mtech convertible that sold on bring a trailer. It must have went to the guys at KW coilovers because it was on display at they're booth. The event was fun like always, but I never get to really meet people from R3vlimted. All the e30 guys who come to the show seem to be non forum members?

The last thing we did was something I always wanted to see while in LA, the Mulholland hills. I'm sure a few of you here have seen the videos on YouTube where a user just makes videos of motorcycle crashes/ car crashes at this one specific turn in the Mulholland hills.

So, onto a few pics;

Side skirt before..

Line to get into Bimmerfest

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-29-2018, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Glad it all came together in time. That side skirt is looking much better now!

Leave a comment:

• parkerbink
    replied
    Great work & thanks for all the pictures!

Leave a comment:

• KIRIEIW
    replied
    Update! Got all the body parts back from the shop and installed them just in time for Bimmerfest. I also installed a new set of 14" "Doral" tires (14" tires are pretty hard to find now guys..) at work on the white weaves. Basically this whole week I've been driving the Mtech to/ from work everyday to get some miles on the new head gasket and verify everything's ok, which everything seems to be as of now. I actually just arrived at the hotel in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. She took the journey wonderful with no issues thus far!

The show starts tomorrow, but like always I think the drive down with the caravan is always the best part. I did see one thing pretty shocking though, my old 87' coupe. The new owners done a ton of stuff to it since I last sold it to him and he seems to be really loving it. Anyways, pics bellow;

This picture captured about 2/3rd's of the group/ caravan.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-28-2018, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X