2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Good look on the booster. I am waiting to see how you build your exhaust, I've got my IEs just sitting on the car waiting for the exhaust shop.
    Very nice. How did they fit?

And it looks like the booster made a slight improvement at most. At least it was probably due to be replaced and my brakes didn't fail catastrophically.

Probably going to rebuild my rear calipers, add stainless lines to the rear, and bleed the brakes some more to see if it helps.

I've been wondering if my disabled ABS would have anything to do with the brakes... My front struts are from my 323i so I can't just mount wheel speed sensors without modifications to the struts. So my ABS is currently disabled. Should I delete the system, or try to make the ABS work again? Would it even make a difference?
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

I would delete the ABS system, especially if you're not taking this car out in the rain ever.
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        I would delete the ABS system, especially if you're not taking this car out in the rain ever.
        If I can get the brakes feeling alright I might just leave it in there. If I auto-x the car I'm not gonna want to flat spot my tires a bunch, plus ABS will help me learn where the threshold is. Another problem for future me haha.

I let another one of my friends drive the car who's really meticulous about pedal feel and such, he said he definitely noticed a difference with the new booster. So that's good.
        But I still think my brakes could be improved. I've suspected that my 3/8" check valve was a little small for the booster so I bought a 1/2", hopefully that will bump up the vacuum slightly. Then I will finally do up the rear brakes.

In other news, I might be a guinea pig for Sssquid's new MAF conversion. See link It's apparently in pre-alpha. Will have to figure out how to plumb it myself, but I've been itching for a proper MAF so I think I might take the plunge and make some basic custom stuff.

Build thread

Other cars:
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        1972 Porsche 914

Comment

I drove my m20 swapped car(it never came with ABS) through 3 winters and it was totally fine. I only locked up my tires on snow once going downhill. I'd say get rid of that and get a quality set of tires.
          sigpic

Comment

Ready for the exhaust shop

Build thread

Other cars:
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

How big are the outlets?

AWDBOB is selling a 2.25” magnaflow x-pipe and vibrant bullet resonators. Might not be a bad combo along with a good muffler. I like my Borla muffler, which also has 2.25” dual Inlet’s
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                How big are the outlets?

AWDBOB is selling a 2.25” magnaflow x-pipe and vibrant bullet resonators. Might not be a bad combo along with a good muffler. I like my Borla muffler, which also has 2.25” dual Inlet’s
                They're 2.25". But I've decided I'm just going dual all the way back.

Considered an X pipe but I would have to put it near the cat. Would rather have the O2 sensor right after the headers.

Gonna stick the O2 in one of the header collectors, read 3 cylinders and call it a day. I'll probably know if there's something wrong with a cylinder I don't need the ECU correcting for it and doing all the other cylinders wrong.

Noise level of the exhaust right now is marginally louder than stock but still less than the induction noise of the Porsche. Off throttle the lifters are louder than the exhaust. So, I doubt it'll really need resonators

Build thread

Other cars:
                2000 Porsche Boxster
                1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Thanks for the parts pimp, Simon! Those parts were my planned exhaust build for said headers.

Measuring 02 off of one collector is fine. Is your cat 2 in/2 out? That should count as your crossover as far as I know. I was going to run the resonators since I wasn't going to be running a cat. Just make sure you merge your setup right, as it can really make or break your header gainz.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    Thanks for the parts pimp, Simon! Those parts were my planned exhaust build for said headers.

Measuring 02 off of one collector is fine. Is your cat 2 in/2 out? That should count as your crossover as far as I know. I was going to run the resonators since I wasn't going to be running a cat. Just make sure you merge your setup right, as it can really make or break your header gainz.
                    Yes, the cat is dual in / dual out. From looking at digger's thread a bit, the crossover should be further downstream than where I would want it with an x-pipe anyways. I did not know that a crossover was essential though, not an expert on pulse tuning haha

Build thread

Other cars:
                    2000 Porsche Boxster
                    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Also FINALLY got my matching shift boot and ebrake handle from Stitchedwheels.. looks great!

Build thread

Other cars:
                      2000 Porsche Boxster
                      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Good boy....I see you went to Kwik Way Muffler Santa Clara. I can tell by the shop pictures (spent time there) and the high quality of the fit and beefy hangers. Told you they are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by tinoe30 View Post
                          Good boy....I see you went to Kwik Way Muffler Santa Clara. I can tell by the shop pictures (spent time there) and the high quality of the fit and beefy hangers. Told you they are the best.
                          The moment I met Bob in person I knew he was going to be my guy. Awesome guy, awesome work. The welds, bends, and fitment is excellent.

The car sounds great, but actually surprisingly similar to before. slightly deeper, tiny bit louder, but much more vibrant, especially at higher RPMs.

What I did not expect is how much more powerful it feels. Midrange to top end feels vastly improved. After I figure out the MAF from Sssquid I'm going to have to dyno it again.

Build thread

Other cars:
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
                            After I figure out the MAF from Sssquid I'm going to have to dyno it again.
                            Any idea when the sssquid maf is going to happen? Sounds very intriguing. Exhaust looks great by the way.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                            The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                              Any idea when the sssquid maf is going to happen? Sounds very intriguing. Exhaust looks great by the way.
                              Thanks! I should be hearing back from him around August 9th for the pre-alpha PCB. Apparently, he should have them in by then. So I will be getting it shortly afterwards. I will be using the 502 MAF from the 92-93 M50B25NV.

Pre-release kits now available here: https://sssquid.com/v3/ssshop/pre-release-maf-conversion-kit/ FAQ Do you have a MAF Conversion Kit? Yes, these are now available publicly! Does it work? Yes, perfectly. Can I use it with the stock tune or am I required to buy a SSSQUID tune? You can absolutely use it with the stock tune. In fact, you can […]

Build thread

Other cars:
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Nice seats BTW.

Comment

Working...
                                X