No announcement yet.

Andrew's Sterlingsilber 90 325iS -> 318iS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some updates on my "ultimate daily driver" build.

I spent a lot of time cleaning parts. The Gunk multi-surface cleaner seems to work pretty well. I didn't want to use anything too harsh like the purple cleaner that will etch aluminum.

I removed and painted the coil pack brackets from the 318i. I thought about using the M44 coil pack or going COP, but I'm going for an OEM look. They are held to the car with spot welds so I just had to drill them out. Then I riveted them to the coupe.

It was quite a job converting the Z3 M44 harness (top) to resemble the E30 M42 harness (bottom). I was able to fit the firewall grommet onto it without damaging it. All I needed to do was take the cover off the ECU connector and carefully slip it over.

I replaced the 3 seals on the G240 gearbox and the rear crankshaft seal on the engine. I made a tool to hold the flange steady and shaved down a 30mm impact socket to fit the nut on the output shaft. The crankshaft seal came pre-installed in a new cover from BMW.

I installed a new LuK dual mass flywheel and Sachs clutch. I know a lot of people go the single mass flywheel route but the M40 or Valeo flywheel with clutch are only about 2 lbs weight savings over the DMF. The DMF will reduce torsional vibrations to help protect the drivetrain and allow a more comfortable daily driving experience.

I installed the E30 M42 oil pans and I bent the dipstick tube to go around the serpentine belt tensioner using a conduit tube bender. I had to shave some material off the side of the alternator bracket and tensioner bracket too. I bolted it to the lower bolt on the alternator bracket. I sealed the pans with new gaskets and Dirko on the block side and Curil T on the pan side. Hopefully that will prevent leaks.

A friend helped me weld up the exhaust. I used the M44 exhaust manifold, but I had to use the front section of the E30 M42 exhaust to clear the control arm bushing and we connected that to the Z3 cat and center muffler followed by the new rear muffler. I also installed a 4.10 torsen LSD from a 2000 Z3 2.8.

Some other things I've done were installing new Sachs front struts and the M42 springs (which happen to be the same as the M3), the Z3 1.9 steering rack (I made a new plate for the steering column through the firewall), and the Z3 1.9 shifter.
    Last edited by Andrew325is; 12-10-2019, 12:05 AM.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Wow, that's a TON of progress in a short period of time. Keep it up! Absolutely love my M42.

Did you have to notch the firewall for the steering rack? Or simply use a new plate? I've read conficting reports on whether the firewall actually needs to be notched based on how you mout the rack and what spacers are used.

Comment

great build, the e30 with m42 is a great powerplant, curious to see how the m44 does for you. having a 4 cyl may be the 'right' engine for the chassis as the successor to the 2002
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Yeah, I had to enlarge the hole in the firewall on the lower corner. I made the plate out of some steel the same thickness as the original. It looks like the column rubs just a little on the grommet so I could have made the hole go over even farther, but I think it's fine. The firewall definitely needs to be notched. If you didn't it would rub pretty bad.

That's what I was thinking with the 4 cyl too. BMW 6 cyls are great engines, but they barely fit in the E30 engine bay and kind of throw off the balance of the car. I want it to be like the M3 with the S14, but lower cost for daily driver duty.

Comment

Pretty good progress, good job!
            I guess it's too late to tell you about the 6-speed conversion method for an m42/m44 that recently crossed my path...
            Excited to see more!
            '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

This is awesome!
              1991 318is
              2004 330ci
              2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                Pretty good progress, good job!
                I guess it's too late to tell you about the 6-speed conversion method for an m42/m44 that recently crossed my path...
                Excited to see more!
                Well, I don't think there is much benefit to doing that, unless you wanted a stronger gearbox for boost, because the gears are different in those so you'd need to use a lower ratio differential. 5th in those is 1:1 like 4th in the E30 gearbox, with 6th as the overdrive instead of 5th and I think you'd end up with a basically unusable 1st gear.

Comment

It was a little frustrating doing the hoses for the power steering, but after I got it figured out it's pretty simple. Since I'm using the Z3 pump the high pressure line connects to the rack just fine without being modified. The only hose that needed to be modified was the low pressure hose from the rack to the reservoir. The write-ups I've seen on the forum here are evidently for early E30s that have a banjo fitting that connects to bulk hose. On late E30s that hose is pre-assembled. The early banjo fittings are also NLA. So what I did was cut the hose off about an inch and a half or so from the fitting and I installed a 1/2" brass PEX 90 degree elbow. Then I got the bulk hose and connected that to the reservoir. The Z3 pump doesn't use a banjo fitting for the hose so I just replaced the short one with a longer one I cut to fit. I ordered the proper size hoses (using the part numbers for the early cars), but the larger one was very difficult to slip onto the port/nipple on the reservoir. I used the Oetiker crimp clamps I picked up from the BMW dealer.

I decided to install all the emissions equipment so I don't have any trouble codes and to make the car California legal in case I ever go to sell it. Since this M44 is the TLEV version there are 2 extra components for the fuel vapor emissions system, which are the larger charcoal canister with shut-off valve and the fuel tank pressure sensor. There is a thread on the forum here that shows how to install the E36 charcoal canister that goes in the spare tire wheel well and I was planning to do that, but I don't really like the idea of drilling holes in the side of the car, so I was able to find a spot to mount the charcoal canister from the Z3 under the car. It's fits pretty well between the right rear wheel well and the spare tire wheel well. I repurposed the bracket for it and mounted it using a U-bolt to the fuel filler pipe along with a couple zip ties to help keep it from moving around.

I fitted the fuel tank pressure sensor in-line with the hose going from the filler neck to the vapor expansion tank using a y-adapter like on an E36 318ti.

I found a little spot to put the 3/2 valve with FPR.

Last edited by Andrew325is; 11-23-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

great work! Looks like it turned out really good.

Comment

Nice write up. How are you going to handle the speed signal to the DME?

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
                        Nice write up. How are you going to handle the speed signal to the DME?
                        I just wired it to the E30 speed signal (C101 #14 to X20 #9) like on a OBD2 24V swap. It seems to be fine with it.

Comment

I got the car running just in time for Thanksgiving. Have about 300 miles on it and loving it! It feels faster than it was with the M20. It's like 24V. It's incredible! One big test for it was going uphill at highway speed. It goes right up in 5th gear without having to downshift and can accelerate. I'm very impressed. I didn't think it would be so great for the highway. Fuel mileage is also impressive. I haven't calculated it yet, but there's still over 1/4 tank left. Most I could get out of a tank with the M20 was about 250 miles.

Last edited by Andrew325is; 12-04-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Wooohoooo! Awesome work!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post

I just wired it to the E30 speed signal (C101 #14 to X20 #9) like on a OBD2 24V swap. It seems to be fine with it.
                              it will rev past ~5500? I read about some other guy dioing a conversion like this. Don't recall the exact details but the E 36 uses the ABS sensor and the E 30 uses the diff signal. He had to run a signal converter to get past 5500 or so.

Either way, nice work

Comment

Thanks. :)

Well I think it revs past 5500. I've rev'd it up and it hasn't seem to hit a ceiling. Update: Yep, it revs past 6k rpms.
                                Last edited by Andrew325is; 12-03-2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X