No announcement yet.

my new nurburgring whip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So funny thing happens when you put the car back together quickly without checking on other peoples work. These are the struts as I recieved them from Vorshlag after doing the AST5100 modification.

The "dogbones" at the very bottom below Lee's gold bumpsteer spacer is actually supposed to be the other way around (closer to the hub, not further). Two weeks ago I put the front end back together because we were moving into a new house and part of moving out of the old place required a movable car!

I made the mistake of not double checking vorshalgs assembly and just stuck them on as you see it. Well, now I have probably 6 degrees of negative camber and 20 degree's of toe out! Whoops! Not a big deal to pull the struts off again (i'm getting fast at it) but just another minor annoyance to deal with. I wish I had the time that day to just pop the struts apart, but I was in a serious time crunch so I decided to just scrub the front tires for the 5 mile move than another late night in the garage.

You can kind of see the camber/toe issue here. I'll get a better pic up tomorrow.

Also the 6" springs that vorshlag said they use are way too short without a helper spring in addition to the main spring (we never talked about helper springs) Currently my oil pan to ground distance would give every hipster on here a chubby.

My current wheel to inner fender clearance:

Unfortunately I've decided not to do a whole lot to the E30 for the rest of the year. The suspension took so long to get finished, I decided to concentrate on fixing a few nags I've had on the M5. I'm taking the M5 to Oktoberfest in Monterey this year, so I have a pretty healthy list of things I'd like to address before then. When I get around to finishing the E30, it should be pretty gnarly, but until then it will just sit patiently in it's new garage stall.
    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

maaannnnyyyeeee datz sum tite ass camber youz got there... herra flush az fukkk

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Damn! just read the whole thread I'm amazed at what this car has gone through I want my own

Comment

you sure you don't have the struts left to right? are the caliper mounts front or rear currently?

They are meant to be rear of the hub and looking at that picture of them from AKG, they seem right to me.
          Last edited by e30guydownunder; 04-02-2013, 03:33 AM.
          - Chris
          Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Yes, the struts are on the correct side, they have L and R stamped into the strut. It's the bottom piece that is backwards. Here is a few pictures of the correct setup.

BMW's drawing. number 4 needs to be swapped left to right & vis versa.

Comment

Yeah ok that would be pretty easy to get right (correct) then
              - Chris
              Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

At least now you know what took so long to assemble the struts :(

This car is awesome!
                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

well now we know the secret to omni-camber lmao

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                    Yeah ok that would be pretty easy to get right (correct) then
                    Yeah, I'll probably fiddle with it this weekend.

Reminds me of

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                    At least now you know what took so long to assemble the struts :(

This car is awesome!

The panorama function on the iPhone 4S update is pretty sweet!

Comment

Dude that garage is AWESOME!

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Hey dude just checking on how the car is coming along, and it is looking really good so far. How is the rear wing doing, im thinking of a m3 type gurney flap without the m3 wing itself
                        Originally posted by Erick
                        Dude the M30 is stupid simple design. It's 6 manly men inside the block pushing up and down on the cylinder with Hercules-like force.

Comment

This gonna be doing work this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by PFCRayB View Post
                            Hey dude just checking on how the car is coming along, and it is looking really good so far. How is the rear wing doing, im thinking of a m3 type gurney flap without the m3 wing itself
                            So like just the bottom portion of the mtech II wing?

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                            This gonna be doing work this summer?
                            Probably not, I'm focussing most of my energy (money) on getting the M5 ready for Oktoberfest in August. I have been thinking of gutting the doors for a while. That's relatively free and I bet I get almost 100lbs out of them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eric;3711524]So like just the bottom portion of the mtech II wing?

Sort of, just taller, maybe 6 to 8 in tall, like how the m3 evo has that adjustable pice on top of the wing
                              Originally posted by Erick
                              Dude the M30 is stupid simple design. It's 6 manly men inside the block pushing up and down on the cylinder with Hercules-like force.

Comment

you should look at what the DSP E36 guys are doing for rear wing.

M5 in action.

Comment

Working...
                                X