New to site/BMW's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to site/BMW's

New to the site and BMW's although I am an avid car enthusiast. Just picked up this 1986 325es with just over 75k miles as an anneversary gift to my wife for $3500 (a little over book, bit worth it IMHO). The only rust found throughout the car is on the corners of the differential case and the inside corners of the exhaust bends. The only mechanical problem seen so far is the fan clutch which I picked up yesterday and will be installed soon.
    The bimmer was added to the collection (my friends call my driveway a "used car lot,lol) which contains a mint 1990 Firebird w/88k mi (in the process of being turbo'd), 1998 F150 (work truck), 2000 Excursion w/80k miles (for the four kids), and the 2002 Lincoln Navigator (the only one for sale).
    I'm just curious if there are any inherent problems to look for in these cars (aside from the timing belt). I am very mechanically inclined, have lots of tools/equipment, and have no problem doing the work myself (jeeze the parts are expensive enough).
    So enjoy the pics, hopefully I will be an asset to your site and look forward to corresponding with other enthusiasts.

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Nice deal, looks like a great car. Before you finalize your decision that rust doesn't exist, remove the license plate lights, clean that area out and check for rust, also remove the battery and check for rust under the tray. It would be a shame to see it eat away at those common spots without you knowing it (if you didn't check already)

Get a chip for it if you plan to do any spirited driving. Makes a huge difference with eta's.

Like you mentioned, do the timing belt, like yesterday.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

W00t another SFL member :) We takin' ova tha world son!

The car does look ridiculously clean tho. :) Props!

- Erick
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Thanx guys, the only thing I had to do to it was the fan clutch (took 15mins).
        The other things I have noticed is :
        The driver's seat drops to the rear seat when pulling the lever,
        Antenna stays up about 6",
        Chips in the air dam,
        Broken spot weld on the trunk lid,
        spoiler has cracks,
        And the stupid oil service/inspection light (anybody can tell me how to reset this?).
        I love working on cars and am probably going to keep this one basically stock because it's going to be my wife's daily driver when we get rid of the Lincoln. Unfortunately my garage is packed with tools and projects (one includes the turbo Firebird that also has to stay outside) so all the vehicles are in the driveway.
        So rwdrift, if you ever need some help, give me a yell. I've got everything from welders to drill press, air tools etc. A good friend of mine works in a CNC machine shop, so basically anything can be made/installed.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Funny you say that, I have a new turbo/manifold that I'm waiting to put in and I need the downpipe made. :)

Oh, and the helping concept goes both ways. ;)
          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

that's what I paid for my first e30... low mileage 325e's are amazing cars. great daily drivers too. welcome to r3v.

Comment

Welcome!!! And 75K miles is absolutely nothing for E30s. With minimal maintenance itll go forever. These M20s are bulletproof, but watch the timing belt.

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
              1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
              1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

how come i cant see any pics?
                1991 318iS swapped w/ euro S50B32
                -Michael

Comment

Originally posted by CleanAzzE30z View Post
                  Welcome!!! And 75K miles is absolutely nothing for E30s. With minimal maintenance itll go forever. These M20s are bulletproof, but watch the timing belt.

Mariano
                  I know about the timing belt, if I knew the history of the car it would be better. I'm about to put a cam in the 'Bird and my wife is driving the Lincoln most of the time so it can wait a little bit. I also noticed yesterday thet the owner's manual and "Driving Experience" cassete tapes are still in the trunk. I've also seen when looking up the prices of these that most have over 150k miles on them!

Funny you say that, I have a new turbo/manifold that I'm waiting to put in and I need the downpipe made.

Oh, and the helping concept goes both ways. ;-)
                  Let me know when you are ready, if you let me take some measurements from your turbo, I can make/have made the downpipe flange and we can go to town on it. What are you doing for fuel delivery/tuning?
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

most E30's leak a lot of oil, so look under the engine and such and look for oil. though you may be lucky and have no oil leak.

nice car. and 75,000 miles is fucking awesome!

Comment

most E30's leak a lot of oil, so look under the engine and such and look for oil. though you may be lucky and have no oil leak.
                      What??
                      In 7 years of e30 ownership...I've never heard of such a thing.
                      And I run synthetic oil.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE30325i View Post

nice car. and 75,000 miles is fucking awesome!
                        None of my cars leak, and the F150 has over 175k used and abused miles.
                        if it leaks I say fix it. The only real leaky cars I have owned was the flat four air cooled VW's that would never stop.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          Let me know when you are ready, if you let me take some measurements from your turbo, I can make/have made the downpipe flange and we can go to town on it. What are you doing for fuel delivery/tuning?
                          The car has MegaSquirt I v3.0 and 32lb injectors. I'll be at Tower Shops tonight if you want to meet up... PM me if anything and I'll send you my #.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Too short of notice unless you want to come over here later. I've got four kids and a construction company and tonight is the wife's nite out. Kids go to bed at 8.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Very clean looking car. Reminds me of mine a lot except mine has rust and way more km's. Your wife will fall in love with it im sure and I also predict another e30 added to your large fleet of cars when your wife won't let you take her car and you buy yourself a e30 DD as well. :)
                              Photoshop by O 16581 72452 5

Comment

Working...
                              X