Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1984 318i Resurrection

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    I also needed to reconstruct the inner wheel well. And a little patch to the wheel arch.

    Comment


      #47
      Clamps, welds, grinding and the repair is complete. Since the majority of the welding is hidden by the bumper trim and stone guard you don’t need to get super picky. A little filler on the repair to the wheel arch which will be the only visible aspect of the repair.



      Comment


        #48
        I also repaired the drivers rear rocker. As it was beginning to get cool I decided to put off paint until the spring.

        Comment


          #49
          After finishing these two repair I created a 3-D collage titled “Henna Rot”. (Giving new meaning to Hennarot). Don’t think I’ll get $120,000 like that guy did for taping a banana to a wall.

          Comment


            #50
            This is going to be quite well!, while you're doing all this, get Euro bumpers and weld up the holes that the US Bumpers leave. It will be fantastic with fresh Hennarot
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1986 BMW 325e & 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000
            Previous Car Count : 21 ... and climbing...

            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment


              #51
              The rear inner rockers were also badly rusted and certainly a structural concern.



              Comment


                #52
                The right rear involved some minor rust damage to the outer rocker. I traced the profile of the damaged segment onto a piece of hard maple, cut and shaped the profile I was looking to achieve and used it to shape the patch.



                Comment


                  #53
                  I located a factory replacement panels, what BMW calls a side member. I decided not to separate all the factory weld and replace the entire panel, but to use it as a patch.



                  Comment


                    #54
                    The left side suffered greater damage, affecting all three structural layers. So repair one patch or layer at a time trying to maintain some of the damaged metal to help with proper alignment of the patches. It would not be until I reinstalled the rear subframe that I would know if everything was ok. On both sides I used a backer strip of 16 gauge steel to allow me to use Clecos to position the patches. The plug welds Into the strip further reinforce the repair and the backer allows me to weld the seam with good penetration reducing the chance of blow through.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Sunnyledge great progress! Really like your attention to detail when replicating panels.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Solid work.

                        Comment


                          #57
                          One last little rust repair to show, thought there we many others. The left rear wheel well had rusted through. While not overly important structurally, I couldn’t ignore it.



                          Comment


                            #58
                            Three pieces needed to be fabricated in order to complete the repair.

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Welding completed and in epoxy primer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X