Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, what a difference!

Comment

I’m headed into the home stretch. As I started to put the front end back together I became painfully aware that most of the studs that had held the liners in place broke off due to rust during the disassembly. So I located the position of the studs and welded a half dozen #10 sheet metal screws in as replacements. The liners had some cracks which I repaired with construction adhesive, sheet aluminum and pop rivets. A cheap but effective repair. Many of the various brackets, mounts, etc were rusted or corroded and while still functional, I didn’t want to reinstall them looking like that. So I removed the rust chemically or in the blasting cabinet and did a little home shop zinc plating. Not too bad.

Comment

I still have some rust to repair around the license plate lights before I put the back bumper on and do a little spot painting and see if I can get this 36 year old paint to shine. But I was able to make a run up and down our street for the first time in 12 years.

Comment

The last significant rust repair on the “to do list” was the typical rust around the license plate lights. After light sanding and a month of applying non-acid rust remover I was left with some pretty thin sheet metal with a few perforations. I probably could have gotten by with a skim coat of filler and some paint. But I decided to go a different route.

Comment

I templated the license plate light and made a mini “repair panel” out of 22 ga steel. In hind sight 24 ga would have been better.

Comment

Welding this patch was difficult due to the thin residual metal and difficult access/position. But I completed the repair patch with some pretty ugly welds. For the other side I made a bench with a couple of cement blocks and a 2 x 12 which allowed me to lay down with better visibility and control. But after some grinding, filler and paint it turned out ok. As this was a relatively small paint repair I used a Badger airbrush for the paint work. I’ll sand out the orange peal at some point.

Comment

Excellent work on all of this. Just did a few of these spots myself, stuff like the license plate light repair is super satisfying because you'll be seeing it often! Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

After getting redirected to complete some “high priority” honey-do home project over the last month, I was able to get back to the car and complete reassembly of the last few components. The car’s last state inspection was in 2007. So last Friday, with fingers crossed, I took it in for an inspection and it passed. There were still a few gremlins to address (intermittently functioning speedometer and a drivers window that lowers but won’t raise) and some sorting of the adjustable shocks. I notice that the clutch slips if I gun the engine climbing a hill, which is a problem since I live at the top of a hill.

So after some work I now have a speedometer that works most of the time. Still need to replace the melted odometer gears. I pulled the door card, window and window track and cleaned and lubed it. I bought a $12 switch and it functions like new. The HVAC fan only worked on high, so I bought a new fan resistor. Once it arrived I opened the access panel in the engine compartment and cleaned out a massive rodent nest. Turns out the replacement resistor was cars manufactured from 9/84 and wasn’t going to work with my 8/84 manufactured 318i. So I sprayed the old resistor with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air and reinstalled it. Success.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7DA27A8-74C8-4C45-8B47-0EEA2898CAB6.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	9942195
                  Today I had a chance to try and clean up the car some. I don’t want to get too aggressive so I did a little work by hand. Not too bad for a 36 year old. I have a new clutch kit and will try to attack it in the next few weeks. Right now I just want to get a few summer drives in.

Comment

Car looks great and you should definitely enjoy it. Post some more pics of it!
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Congrats! This really came a long way. Fantastic job on all the rust repair and subsequent work.

Comment

This is awesome, super cool to see how quickly you mastered the patch work!

Comment

The slipping clutch issue was becoming worse, so I couldn’t put it off any longer. I pulled the transmission and replaced the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. It would have been nice to resurface the flywheel, but as there was no scoring I just cleaned it and took some of the glaze off with 3m brown and green Scotch-brite pads on a die grinder. Since I had just had everything apart it was a relatively quick and uncomplicated job. What a difference it has made to drivability.

Comment

Awesome project!

Think you did a really great job - especially with the "battery" pocket in the trunk area.

Comment

love that tube straightener, will definitely keep that in mind next time i have to do a long stretch

Comment

Working...
                              X