February 2021 Car of the Month: uber///m3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February 2021 Car of the Month: uber///m3

***Editors Note: I've been wanting to feature Rusty's car for a while and this has been a "hurry up and wait" type feature because we were basically ready to go for a while now, but wanted to wait for the right moment. Well, here we are and it couldnt have worked out better. After a wonderfully restored Zinnoberrot Mtech1, we get to share a "survivor" Mtech2 in Brilliantrot. This car is ruining me because now I want a Vert haha... Congrats Rusty, you're the February '21 Car of the Month!***

Factory options: M-Technic package (S771A) including M-Technic II aerodynamics package with rear spoiler delete, 15" BBS wheels, lower sport springs and uprated roll bars, M-Technic grill, door sill and rear trunk lid badging, M-Technic fabric in the seats and door cards as well as a leather dash, console, seat bolsters, side panels, map pockets, ashtrays, steering wheel and parking brake/shift boots. Trunk deck lid trunk liner with tool kit, anti-lock braking system (ABS), front and rear torsion bar stabilizers, hydraulic power assisted steering system, independent front suspension with MacPherson struts, independent semi-trailing arm rear suspension, on-board computer with LCD digital quartz clock, temperature warning chime and security code, power assisted four wheel disc brakes (ventilated front), service interval indicator, driver's side airbag, twin tube gas pressure shock absorbers, multi-function active check control, dual electrically adjustable outside rearview mirrors in body color, cruise control, electric antenna (rear mounted), tinted glass all around, tool kit, leather upholstery, air conditioning with recirculating function.

Color: Brilliantrot (308) - Brilliant Red.

Interior color: Black with M-Technic fabric inserts in the seats and on the door cards.

Engine modifications: The intake manifold and valve cover have been painted the same color as the car. There's also an after market electric radiator fan to maintain cooling. Other than that, the engine is bone stock.

Exhaust: Bone stock.

Transmission: This car came to me with an automatic transmission. Shortly after I bought it, I sourced a rebuilt Getrag 260 5-speed transmission and had Matt Schaedler at EuroMpire install it along with a new clutch/pressure plate, rebuilt drive shaft and rebuilt 3.73 ratio limited slip differential. The drivetrain in this car is now bulletproof. (I kept the automatic transmission in case someone wants to put it back to full stock condition.)

Differential: Rebuilt 3.73 ratio limited slip differential from motorsportsmetalfinishing.com.

Suspension: Bone stock.

Wheels: Bone stock but repainted right after I bought the car to perfectly match the factory BBS color.

Exterior modifications: Depo smilie headlights with Ultra CanBus HID kits (35 watt, H1 bulbs, 5500K), new Euro front grill and new center kidney grill

Interior modifications: Alpine aftermarket radio and rear door card speakers (there when I bought the car) and an M logo badge I had to attach to the center console to conceal the 4 or 5 holes drilled in it by the previous owner who evidently just HAD to have a car phone mounted in that beautiful leather.

Story behind the car: I've been an avid BMW fan and member of the BMW Car Club of America for going on 30 years. When I found out that someone had built "The Ultimate Driving Machine", I just had to have one and after that I was hooked. My first one was a 1992 BMW 325i sedan, black on black with a 5-speed. After that, I owned a 1997 M3 sedan (estoril blue - still one of my favorite BMW colors to this day), a 1995 M3 coupe (with a chrome illusion paint job that won multiple trophies at car shows up and down the east coast). After taking a break from BMW's, I got a Mazda for a daily driver and showed the 1995 M3 for a couple of years but it was getting harder and harder to compete. Then I bought a REAL show car - a 2002 M3 known as "The Uber M3" (Google "Uber M3 showcar" images and you'll see what I mean). It was built by Craig Lieberman for the movie Fast & Furious - Tokyo Drift. They never used it in the movie because it was filmed in Tokyo where all the cars are right-hand drive, so to the producers, it didn't "fit". So, I bought it in 2005 (and still own it to this day). A few years later, I found a 2010 E60 M5 (the last year BMW built one with a V-10 engine in it) for sale with REALLY LOW miles on it and bought it as a daily driver. Then a friend of mine took me for a ride in his E30 one day and I just had to have one! I really love the visceral driving experience these cars represent. But like The Uber M3 and my M5, I wanted something unique. That's when I found this M-Technic. When I realized only 149 had ever been built AND it has EXTREMELY low miles on it, I was sold. I didn't even try to bargain with the seller. We got a pre-purchase inspection done, I wired him the money and he shipped the car to me.

And now the pics!...

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Stunning. Just a gorgeous car. Congrats Rusty!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaf.png
Views:	645
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	9972163
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Congrats! This car definitely needs its own photo/journal/build thread!

Comment

Thanks Simon...it’s an honor. I’ll be posting additional pics and a video of the car on 2/8/21. Big announcement about the car pending...

Comment

Epitome of class and style!
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Beautiful car, always great to see these rare cars in the right hands.
              sigpic
              January 2012 COTM

Comment

a wonderfully cared for example. thanks for giving it a good home.

hope your big announcement is that you're keeping it forever!
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

What a great cruiser! Cigar lighter emblem leveled out and everything.

Original survivor?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    What a great cruiser! Cigar lighter emblem leveled out and everything.

Original survivor?
                    Not totally moatilliatta. Swapped the automatic for a rebuilt Getrag 260 5 speed, swapped the headlights (so I could see to drive at night - LOL!) and it's got an aftermarket Alpine radio in the dash. Other than that, yes, it's stock. And that level cigar lighter was planned - LOL!
                    Last edited by Uber///m3; 02-05-2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

What Alpine radio is installed?
                      sigpic
                      January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                        What Alpine radio is installed?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful car, it must have taken someone a lot of restraint not to rack the miles up on something so fun to drive. Congrats!
                          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

For everyone's information...

This car will go up on the auction block at bringatrailer.com on MARCH 1st. Tag all your friends and fellow BMW enthusiasts for this once in a blue moon opportunity and wish me luck. Thanks in advance for your support!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XykEV1Qw7fw

(The only error in the narrative of this video is that this is not an original 5 speed car (1 of 14 in BrilliantRot). The car had an automatic transmission in it when I bought it and I swapped it with a rebuilt Getrag 260 5 speed shortly thereafter.)

Last edited by 2mAn; 02-07-2021, 06:04 PM.

Comment

that's a bummer to hear. i hope you find a worthy home for what seems to be a spectacular example.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                              X