Project Ilse - Mildly Rusty Canadian Slushbox Sedan Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Ilse - Mildly Rusty Canadian Slushbox Sedan Restomod

I acquired Project Ilse (eel-say) May 2022, after selling my glorious E91 which I loved a lot, but the E30 was something I always wanted to tinker with. So as soon as I saw the car, I had to buy it.

1989 325i Sedan, Automatic (not anymore), ~280k kms, bone stock. All things considered, for an Southern Ontario car (nasty rust belt) and general condition I got her for a good deal, albeit a bit overpriced for a slushbox sedan but the options are pretty limited here (being a realtively broke 20-ish year old).

Here's a pic of the ol' E91 (Project Ida), had it for about 4 months before I came across the E30, so I had to sell it. Plus bonus pic of my dream garage that I had too soon :(

Did a little photoshoot with Ilse a couple days after I picked her up.

I figured I'd do some work on the car before posting on here and not leaving you people hanging. It's still in the mechanical restoration stage so I'm not paying attention to the horribly scratched paint job I currently have.

Maintenance + Mechanical Stuff So Far

June 2022 - CLEANING THE INTERIOR.

It definitely wasn't the cleanest so I ripped out all the seats and gave the carpet + seats a thorough vacuum and some carpet cleaner too. PO also had some red LED light strips taped throughout the car, so I had to get rid of that.

July 2022 - Radio/Cluster + Valve Cover

Gas gauge was being a bit funky so I had to clean the usual grounds behind the gauges. Valve cover was dripping oil onto the exhaust manifold so I had to swap that out too.

August 2022 - First Roadtrip!

Took her on her first big road trip, around 1200 km (~750 miles)! Nearing the end of the trip the car started sputtering and dying under load, so I needed to fix that immediately. After I got back it turned out to be a crappy unnamed fuel pump, I installed a brand new Bosch unit + a new Mahle fuel filter.

September 2022 - Oil Leak!

Noticed the oil pan was leaking from the rear end. Oh no! Anyways.

I also took out the front bumper to check the valance for any rust, to clean it and to better align it since that was bothering me since I purchased the car.

October 2022 - Prepping For Surgery!

After months of scouring and finally finding a manual trans, I got one out of another 325i with about 215k kms (with a weird DIY short shifter) and only a clutch pedal.

Started disassembling the old stock shifter linkage and transplanted some new parts. Sourced a Z3 1.9 shift lever (not pictured) locally and got a Garagistic shifter rebuild kit.

Later In October 2022 - Time For Surgery!

I went into the swap knowing it was gonna be a long one because I only had a couple hours after work each day + some time on weekends. And boy am I glad I did.

Taking out the auto trans//driveshaft was a huge pain, exhaust wasn't too bad since I used some PB blaster a couple days before starting. Had to bring out the big guns for the rear driveshaft bolts, heat is a godsend.

The starter was actually the easiest part of the job for me, couple of extensions and u-joint sockets, it was out. After a couple days of fighting with the trans bolts I finally got the torque converter + trans out. Turns out the last bell housing bolt was actually a 16mm e-torx and not a 14mm e-torx. 8 hours spent on that.

Next was the pedal assembly! Now I only got the clutch pedal part of it so I had to make do with the auto brake pedal. A couple minutes with the angle grinder and I was good to go! Mildly proud of that cut. I also got the pedal in without removing the full pedal assembly bracket as well with some struggle.

A day or so later I tackled putting the actual transmission in which was not fun without a clutch alignment tool. I really struggled to get it in the last inch (heh) but ultimately didn't get it fully in. I couldn't get my hands on an alignment tool since I reuse the clutch and I needed the car done by the end of the day so I had to finish it no matter what.

Thankfully e30zone gave me a couple ideas. I got a 6" 3/8 extension, the end fit perfectly in the pilot bearing, and then got 4 thick washers in and kept wrapping it until it filled the clutch plate hole perfectly (or close). And it worked!

And on late October night, it was done!! Filled her up with some transmission fluid and did the wiring using a quick video on YouTube where no splicing was required.

A couple days later I gave her a mildly thorough wash and a new rubber insulation boot.

Next Steps

Getting Ilse ready for winter...
    Last edited by ome30; 11-08-2022, 09:42 PM.

Yay another Ontario E30!
    Following for updates.

I have also done a 5-speed swap on the ground. A lot of work but 100% worth it!
    How would you compare the driving experience now versus with the auto box?

Also, where did you go on your roadtrip?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
      Yay another Ontario E30!
      Following for updates.

I have also done a 5-speed swap on the ground. A lot of work but 100% worth it!
      How would you compare the driving experience now versus with the auto box?

Also, where did you go on your roadtrip?
      Oh yeah the swap was definitely worth it, learnt so much as well. It’s completely transformed the car, from a cruiser to some resemblance of a sports sedan. Going to be refreshing the top end entirely soon as well!

The road trip was near Sudbury, friend owns a cottage near there. Very pretty drive as well!

Comment

Originally posted by ome30 View Post
        Oh yeah the swap was definitely worth it, learnt so much as well. It’s completely transformed the car, from a cruiser to some resemblance of a sports sedan. Going to be refreshing the top end entirely soon as well!

The road trip was near Sudbury, friend owns a cottage near there. Very pretty drive as well!
        Nice, I've made that drive a few times. My sister used to go to university up at Laurentien.

Agreed on the transformation, the E30 just "feels right" when you're in control with a manual!

Comment

nice work. good pick up.

Comment

Check the ratio of the rear end also... might be a 4:10 so definitely lively
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Check the ratio of the rear end also... might be a 4:10 so definitely lively
              Oh absolutely, going 120km/h on the highway at around 3500 RPM is... something, the acceleration is nice though.

Comment

Nice work - I thought in that first shot you might have the e91 as a daily and then your e30 sedan (pretty much exactly my setup, although I have an e92 daily + an e30 sedan and a project e30 coupe, it’s an illness).

Manual swap is definitely worth it. I’ve done two thus far and will also manual swap my project coupe when the time comes to refit the driveline.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  Nice work - I thought in that first shot you might have the e91 as a daily and then your e30 sedan (pretty much exactly my setup, although I have an e92 daily + an e30 sedan and a project e30 coupe, it’s an illness).

Manual swap is definitely worth it. I’ve done two thus far and will also manual swap my project coupe when the time comes to refit the driveline.
                  Ah I wish I could keep the E91 as a daily, would've been my dream garage. However my bank account disagreed with me quite a bit. More pics of the E91 as well, it's a fantastic car that I miss quite a bit. Also excited to the see the M-Tech 1 kit on your coupe!

Comment

Nov 2022 - Winter Time!

Since unfortunately this will be my car for winter, I had to get it ready with some new tires and an undercoating (which it already had but it's all crispy now). I picked up some cheap, rusty steelies because 4x100 E30 wheels are impossible to come by, especially cheap ones.

So I picked up a set of Original 14" steelies + hubcaps for decent deal (100 Canadian Shillings).

I got working on atleast partially restoring them because the inner barrels were really bad. Although it was just surface rust, I did not like it. Got myself a grinding kit with some beefy wire wheels and went to town on 'em. Results were pretty solid considering I wanted it to be a quick job since the temperatures were going in the negatives (celsius) soon.

I picked up a new set of Blizzak WS90's to go with them and boy are they grippy, went with 185/65/R14 since 14" tires are so hard to come by!

Mounted 'em last night and they look superb, I really dig the look!

Comment

Also Nov 2022 - Fixing the OBC?

I got the basic 6-button OBC in my car and the display's been broken ever since I got it, I ordered a cheap eBay LCD a while back and it finally came! So I got to work swapping it in, really only took a couple minutes and it worked! I can finally tell the time in my car!

However that made me realize I don't have a temperature sensor, it's missing since after chasing the wiring diagram and finding the cables, the end connector is missing. So it just shows -30 C, gotta work on finding that so if someone has any leads locally, let me know!

Comment

Nice job restoring those steelies. They look decent with the hubcaps on there.
                        Good set of winter tires, assuming they aren't too old (what's the date code?)

Too bad you need to drive the car in the winter; smart of you to have it undercoated.
                        Be sure to hose off the salt when possible.

On the plus side, it'll be a riot to drive on slippery roads. Definitely practice some oversteer/skid control in a safe environment, as there is no traction control (or ABS depending on model) to keep you out of trouble.
                        Also, be aware that the Ontario laws changed recently, and now (in addition to being trespassed by the property owner) you can be charged by the police for a Highway Traffic Act offense in a privately-owned parking lot.

I know Toronto Motorsports Park (TMP) in Cayuga has winter lapping days. This would be a perfect way to learn the car's limits in the ice/snow without getting in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                          Nice job restoring those steelies. They look decent with the hubcaps on there.
                          Good set of winter tires, assuming they aren't too old (what's the date code?)

Too bad you need to drive the car in the winter; smart of you to have it undercoated.
                          Be sure to hose off the salt when possible.

On the plus side, it'll be a riot to drive on slippery roads. Definitely practice some oversteer/skid control in a safe environment, as there is no traction control (or ABS depending on model) to keep you out of trouble.
                          Also, be aware that the Ontario laws changed recently, and now (in addition to being trespassed by the property owner) you can be charged by the police for a Highway Traffic Act offense in a privately-owned parking lot.

I know Toronto Motorsports Park (TMP) in Cayuga has winter lapping days. This would be a perfect way to learn the car's limits in the ice/snow without getting in trouble.
                          Yeah I'm diggin the straight outta 80s look. Tires are brand new with a late '21 dot code so I can run them the next while, but hopefully not, since I'd like this to be the first and last winter this car sees with me.

Oh absolutely, I've definitely learnt quite a bit about skid control in the rain with this car as well, mostly by accident while turning left at intersections. Very controllable. It does suck about the new laws, though its most probably for good reason. I've usually practiced some wet traction limits at a nearby public parking lot that's always empty.

Might checkout TMP and their winter lapping days, could be interesting and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ome30 View Post
                            I've usually practiced some wet traction limits at a nearby public parking lot that's always empty.

Might checkout TMP and their winter lapping days, could be interesting and fun.
                            Public/private lot doesn't matter, you can still be charged with some pretty serious stuff. I think the "stunt driving" charge is $10,000 along with roadside license suspension?

TMP is a good idea so you can keep your license!

Comment

Small updates + big project coming!

Finally got my shift boot delivered from eBay, solid quality frame and great leather!

Also my giant box of parts to refresh the head + essentially all gaskets throughout this season.

Over the last couple weeks my headlight switch did not want to illuminate any of my lights so I took it apart and saw this piece also completely burnt out, took out some of the plastic around it too so gotta find a new switch soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X