Volvo 5 Cylinder in an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Northern View Post
    I like this swap. I've never actually seen pictures of one of the volvo 5-cyls. I'm surprised with how stout they are, with the split crankcase and cam tray/valve cover combo.

It makes sense why they have the reputation they do.
    They're not too bad, they tend to hold pretty good power once you swap out the stock rods. I'm doing this swap mostly for the 5 cyl noise but I think the car will be pretty quick as well.
    1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
    1988 320i Touring

Comment

V nice work , i envy your welding skills !

btw, engine look robust af

Comment

Liking this. The Volvo 5-pots and how they make power has always been intriguing so appreciate the in depth pictures.

Fine work sir

Comment

thanks guys, just trying to help keep this forum thing alive!

Still making progress. Now that the engine is back together I got the adaptor plate installed for good along with the flywheel. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1595.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	10088315

Then I got the transmission clearenced for the starter and crank sensor.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	10088314

Waiting on a clutch alignment tool so I've been doing some painting. I coated the exhaust parts in Cerakote ceramic coating. That was quite the process as the parts have to be meticulously clean, then you sand blast them, clean again, then paint.

I ended up doing it all myself with the cheap harbor freight outdoor sandblast gun and touch up paint gun. It seems to have come out great, we will see how it holds up.

Name:	IMG_1620.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	10088317

Name:	IMG_1619.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	10088316

Name:	IMG_1621.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	10088313
          1987 325es - Turbo Build - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=379110
          1988 320i Touring

Comment

absolutely love this build. A turbo 5 just feels like the best of all worlds. Great work

Comment

Engine is back in the car with the clutch and transmission all installed. I even replaced the selector seal while it was out because I hate doing them in the car.

Name:	IMG_1630.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	247.2 KB
ID:	10089305

Name:	IMG_1638.jpg
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	10089307

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	10089304

Name:	IMG_1642.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	10089306

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	10089308
              1988 320i Touring

Comment

​​​Still going hard on this thing, wiring harness is about 90% done. I started with the Maxxecu flying loom and went from there. Running a flex fuel sensor, VAG coils, converted to speed density obviously, and some other goodies. I even got it to run for a few seconds on ether. Still waiting on one coil connector and need to go get a few feet of fuel hose before I can actually start it up on all 5 cylinders.
                1988 320i Touring

Comment

It’s alive! This is with the exhaust finished back to the diff with no muffler at all. Planning on a straight through style muffler for now but that might change if it gets annoying.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                  1988 320i Touring

Comment

This is so many levels of cool.
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                      This is so many levels of cool.
                      Thanks!

Still plugging away. Exhaust is totally done, full 3" stainless system with a straight through muffler for now. I also have an E90 328ix driveshaft installed which will work for now, but it only has like 0.75" of spline engagement on the E36 rear driveshaft section so prior to actually giving it real throttle I'll need to address that. I've also installed a cheap PMC chassis mounted shifter for now. I may go back and fabricate a custom carrier if this one is too loud and annoying.

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	10092740

At this point I'm waiting on a -3AN braided hose that I'm going to use for the clutch and it'll be ready for a first drive!
                      1988 320i Touring

Comment

FIRST DRIVE! I finally got that clutch hose in and bled, along with the serpentine belt. Unfortunately the mystery junkyard alternator sounds like it spent the last 30 years on the bottom of the ocean and doesn’t charge, but I was able to take the car around the block.
                        Its still running hot so likely there’s more air in the cooling system, I might need to add a bleed port. Other than that I can tell it’s gonna rip once I get the tune sorted.

1988 320i Touring

Comment

Dude yes. I can't believe how quickly you rip through getting shit put together! I have used a driveshaft guy in East Boulder for years and years, I wouldn't be surprised if he could lengthen either end of your DS to solve the spline engagement issue. I can get you his contact info if you want.

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Fraser View Post
                            Dude yes. I can't believe how quickly you rip through getting shit put together! I have used a driveshaft guy in East Boulder for years and years, I wouldn't be surprised if he could lengthen either end of your DS to solve the spline engagement issue. I can get you his contact info if you want.
                            I'm just having so much fun with this one, the motivation is there! And yeah that would be great, I was planning to find a shaft that's too long to have it shortened but I'll have to see what the driveshaft guy prefers.

I did figure out the alternator issue, turns out when you delete the power steering pump the alternator spins backwards due to the new belt routing, and it's a clutched type that hates that. The solution was to just weld up the clutch and it's working perfectly now. Still overheating though, I'm pretty sure I have all the air out so I'm going to pull the thermostat and test it, maybe try running it without the thermostat as well.
                            1988 320i Touring

Comment

Very nicely done. straight away I can hear that distinctive 5clr sound. It's going to be an animal once you've sorted the bugs.

Comment

small update. Still fighting overheating. It will idle all day at 195* or so but as soon as you give it more than about 2k rpm it starts heating up uncontrolably. It passed a leakdown test, but very slightly failed a 'block test' (combustion gasses in cooling system test).

Soooo I pulled the head off to investigate. Head gasket looks ok but it was likely a tiny leak that only occurs at higher rpm so it may not have actually shown damage yet. I did use an MLS gasket and did not have the block decked so that likely bit me. I just ordered an OEM fiber gasket and some new head bolts (thanks FCP lifetime warranty!) and should have it back together shortly after those arrive. I also splurged on a vacuum coolant fill tool to make bleeding they system easier this time.
                                1988 320i Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X