318is to Spec e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is to Spec e30

Hi all I have a 318is track car that I have been doing track days in. Ive been following spec e30 for a while and recently had the opportunity to buy a convertible as a donor for all the parts needed to swap.

The 318is build includes
    All new bushings
    Complete J stock suspension
    Roll Bar, Seat, Harness
    4.10 LSD
    1.9 Steering rack
    Stromung exhaust
    tons of maintenance

A lot of the stuff I used is going to have to be replaced to get the car legal so if you’re looking for anything for your 318 let me know.

The donor car is a 1989 Convertible with a little over 125k on the dash. Did some research and looks like it hasn’t been registered since 2005. So im gonna assume it’s been sitting. Im in the process of getting the engine out and replacing the timing belt. Hopefully then I can test the health of the motor and if I could drop the motor in and get back on track while I gather more parts.

If anybody has any suggestions or tips on an engine that has been sitting for a while im all ears.

Got the engine pulled out today. Gonna start working on that timing belt. Gotta figure out how to do a accurate leak down and compression test with the engine on a stand.

Comment

Make sure to pull the plugs and throw some light oil in the cyls before turning the motor over (by hand).

I freed up an M20B27 that was sticky with light oil + ATF sitting in there overnight!

Comment

thanks for the tip Ill pull the plugs while im doing the belt and squirt some oil in them.

i’ll probably end up only doing a leak down test and see what it reveals.

Comment

Well after getting everything torn down and getting ready to work on the belt I realized that the belt was broken. After a day of crying I pulled the head to see the damage.

Looks like 3 broken rockers and a nice hole in the piston. Luckily I have a spare block that I can use.

What does a rebuilt head go for ? Would it be more cost effective to do it all locally or send it to a specialized rebuilder ?
          Attached Files

Comment

Inside that head looks suspiciously clean and the rockers look even more suspiciously cleaner.. My guess is, that is the second TB snap for the motor...

If the Rocker Shaft Journals check out ok, and thickness is "OK" I assume the head is good for another round. Everything needs triple checked considering this could be a multiple offender.

What part of the country are you in? I assume South East if you're motivated to build a spec E30..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Yeah that was my guess too, I just finished pulling the rockers, shaft and cam. Still waiting on a tool for the valves.

I took a measurement of the thickness of the head and got 5 inches not sure how thick it should be.

I am in jacksonville FL
              Attached Files

Comment

Should be 6 inches.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                X