Bought a POS, this is R3Vs fault
Collapse
X
-
Thanks for showing the pics on the track. It’s been years since I’ve been on track.👍 1 -
The car was fantastic... absolutely love it. There was several cars with a LOT more BHP that couldnt shake me anywhere on the track except for the long straight but I would be right on them again at the top of the hill braking for Turn 3.
The flat power curve is amazing.
👍 3Leave a comment:
-
Looks like a lot of fun Simon!
I don't know if I would have survived the 2am arrival though.
How did the car run?Leave a comment:
-
Alright... all that needed new GO something to be matched with some SHOW. Plus I really wanted to tell people the stickers were worth some BHP (at least 5, right?). I hinted earlier at the direction I wanted to go, and I actually pivoted once it was time to actually put the ;livery' on the car. I'm happy with how it came out even though its not perfect. I'll keep it on for a little while...


This section was fun. Might still cut out the emblem slot because it doesn't flow over it nice.

Also figured I would snap a pic of the engine bay, even though its just another M20. I asked JMP to spray the headers with some high temp silver paint which I supplied. There wasn't enough time to "do-it-right" and send them off to be blasted and coated so the paint in a bottle had to do. Looks good enough for me... we'll see how it holds up.

With the car prepared and loaded up, I was ready to tackle the 400 mile trip up north on the 'new' setup. I left later than planned, and ended up having a last minute destination change (+ ~100 miles), which meant the accident on the grapevine turned my 350ish mile trip into a ~430 mile trip with the detour. I arrived at 2am exhausted and had a drivers meeting in ~5 hours. But I made it! No. Issues. At. All!
In the middle of nowhere...

Sonoma!

BlackbirdM3 joined us at the track and brought his camera so I wouldn't have to buy the pics of the monopolized- sub-par option. He also jumped in with myself and my brother to instruct as he has a LOT of laps whereas these were our first. Definitely got a lot faster with his help. Thanks Will!
Yea... this is much better than the other options.

Quick side-bar. While in the pit-lane for our first session I was excited and proud of the FD owner for having a Rotary in his car still... (Bonus points for the VW with the Tomas Sport Tuning sticker on it. I think it was a 20vT. ) That FD however must've been responsible for the oil slick that caught a lot of us out. He was towed off the track after that first session and we all got a surprise drift/ car control practice to start the day.

Will caught me mid-counter. I was able to catch it, but others werent lucky. A few cars collecting some dirt.

Car turned over 169k on-track which was a good feeling as to the future direction of this car. Exciting.

Successful Track Day with my brother, our attire matching our cars and no damage to deal with!

Quick second tangent: This was a very sanitary track-car. Big money build...


Looks like the E30 will be my Chariot to the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion in ~1-month so gotta change the rotors & pads, rotate the tires and install the rear speakers. Really need to figure out this tach-issue too, but not really sure where to start short of sending it out to someone else and Im not sure I want to do that right now...
👍 3Leave a comment:
-
Sweet! That'll rip for sure! Finally doing big things with the M20👍 1Leave a comment:
-
Pretty amazing results
honestly kinda hard to believe with a mostly stock head and intake lol👍 1Leave a comment:
-
Alright folks... car is done but I wont be able to pick it up until tomorrow. I figure we can discuss the numbers now and I can share the driving impressions tomorrow... with a lot more this upcoming weekend with at least 800 miles of freeway driving and and HPDE sandwiched between those 400 miles.
Without further adieu. Here are the stock 2.7i dyno results:

Overall, pretty solid and expected for a 'junkyard' motor/ combo. I definitely enjoyed this, but this all kicked off because I had reached out to JMP and a few others about building me a high compression M20. Turns out Jerick already had one ready to go that was claimed to make 'nearly 200whp' ... well, SOLD! I discussed some items I wanted and we made the plan. Bottom end is a eta with the 81mm crankshaft and some 10:1 Ross Racing pistons that were sourced from (I believe) Ireland Engineering years ago. Unknown camshaft and no real headwork. Camshaft is mild because this is a street motor he built for a client a while ago.
Here is the dyno of the '2.8i' post installation

And finally, an overlay of the two. A gain of ~45+WHP & 30+ WTRQ, and look at that torque curve. Jerick said he got it up to about 195whp, but dialed back the tune because he knows I plan to track the car and wanted to give it a safety barrier.
😎 3🥰 1👍 1Leave a comment:
-
Do either of those speakers (Boston or Hertz) have an integrated crossover like the factory speakers? (I assume that's how it splits sound) What's that dangly box in your pictures?Leave a comment:
-
They are a set of HERTZ DSK 130 that I found on ebay for $100. I have some Boston Acoustics 5.25" that I put up front. I also have the Premium tweeters in the mirror panel, but those aren't hooked up. I might be able to do something about that someday, but for now the goal is to get these rears wired up and working so I can have E30Bastard 's approval... and maybe he will update his own thread now that his car is out of Paint Jail after ~2 years...Leave a comment:
-
How about some details on the speaker upgrade?
I put some CHEAP RockfordFosgate speakers in my standard sound car years ago when I wasn't sure how long I'd have. It's not great and I'd love to have something clearer an louder.Leave a comment:
-
-
Nice man. I too have been watching the world cup, at work haha
Untitled by Max Max Rodriguez, on Flickr
I like what you did with the speaker covers. I have some larger speakers in the rear, although I really want to retain the premium sound speaker covers, yet they don't fit anymore.
Enjoy the drive up north, If you manager to hit the farmland/Sacramento area near sunset it is very pretty.
Still the beans already! we wanna know what this 2.7 is up to😂 1Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: