Bought a POS, this is R3Vs fault

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • max.rodriguezzz
    replied
    Looks so good man! the clear glass with the fresh lockstrip looks absolutely amazing. thanks again for trusting me to take on the task, and for helping out with an extra hand. Man that lockstrip installation was PITA but regardless I still had a blast !! I was curious so when I got home I looked it up and believe it or not they make a special tool for the lockstrip its like barley $20. That woulda been good to know before hand, my finger tips are still sore hahah. Also that 2.7i rips ;0

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    This weekend was a HUGE, yet minor change...

    One of the biggest annoying things on this car was the horrible rear window. It had tint on it that was so baked on that would come off in tiny chips and made it impossible to see out of. I'm not on facebook, but luckily for me max.rodriguezzz is and linked me to someone locally who had a rear window for a good deal. I actually ended up trading an AFM cone adapter for the glass. Win-win for both of us. Also picked up a new black lockstrip and convinced Max to tackle it for me.

    Kid brought all the tools to do the job, I setup a canopy so we wouldnt cook.


    FF a little while and new clear glass is installed. So happy with this change...


    and finally, though I didnt take a pic of my car I had to grab this one from the photographer who camps out on ACH taking pics. Love this one.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    lol yea that was totally random Monterey Car Week shenanigans

    I enjoyed a nice cigar while all the kids were influencing

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Wtf… random pull on instagram today

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Panici
    You said it, not me.

    But it's a track toy so function > form as they say.
    I have a bunch of chrome vinyl laying around, I might try and wrap it ... my biggest beef with it is that the grille is black, and now it looks broken with a light missing... Painting it white would be way too much effort haha

    Leave a comment:


  • Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    I’ll be honest though, I hate the way these look 😂😂
    You said it, not me.

    But it's a track toy so function > form as they say.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30m3s54turbo
    replied
    The stripes make it look a race version e30. If you lived close to me I would paint your cow catcher for free. I would like to see your track days on your e30.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Race car sh!t boys!


    3 bolts were supposed to align with the headlight alignment holes, but maybe thats for the Ellipsoid lights


    I’ll be honest though, I hate the way these look 😂😂

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Reichart12
    What was the set up with the camping? Reserved camp spot at the track? That's something I wouldn't mind making the drive down for in the future.
    They have a ton of reserved spots, but you have to purchase the full 5-day package and have to get a track pass for those days. Since I knew I wasn't going to be there the whole time, I bought an open camping spot ($25/night IIRC) and a 2 day track pass. Totally worth it. That total cost was less than one night at a sh!tty hotel. They have showers with warm water available for use too...

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    What was the set up with the camping? Reserved camp spot at the track? That's something I wouldn't mind making the drive down for in the future.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Forgot this part. The car clicked over 170k on my way home bringing the '2.8L' setup to over about 1500 miles logged in about 90 days. Car is absolutely wonderful right now

    ... Anyways, this pic was taken just as I had the Pacific Ocean revealing itself to my right... just like the pic taken in the Alfa when I had reached the same spot years ago...





    Making memories in cars is a great thing boys...

    Leave a comment:


  • JasonWilson48
    replied
    Pictures at the gas station are sweet. You could frame those.

    The one from the rear with the tent is like "EXTRA" authentic if that makes sense. Like not a pristine photo... little blurry on the edges... cloudy skies... dirty car... but a real photo of an E30 getting used and enjoyed. My favorite kinds of photos. I hate when people spend an eternity trying to get the perfect photo, then need perfect editing/cropping, a perfect caption, all for social media. Like just snap one photo and post it real time. Those are my favorite.

    I need to take mine camping eventually. That was on the list for this fall, but we will see if I can even get it running again before it snows this year.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Alright, lots to share about the journey to Monterey, but its easier to share on the upcoming video.

    A few years ago I took my 996 on a 'Targa805' rally through the central coastal area of California. On my way up I decided to pass through and grab a quick pic "stopping for fuel". Cool little historical town.





    Stopped here for a cool little pic of an awesome vantage point, not sure my pic justifies it ... but here it is



    About 12 hours later, after some shenanigans running around Monterey/ Carmel etc my tent was pitched





    Finally, an example of the love the E30 was shockingly getting. I actually just ventured across the street to take the pic and noticed someone else also taking a pic of the car



    He exchanged IG handles and he sent me his pics, in addition to tagging me in the one he took.



    Cool


    Video will come... soon...

    Leave a comment:


  • max.rodriguezzz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Alright, the car is prepped for another ~700+ mile road trip up to Laguna Seca for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (such a mouthful...) ... I will probably hit up some of the Car Week shenanigans, but I enjoy the vintage racing that happens on track and it avoids all the annoying BS. With the brakes sorted, I also had an interior 'clean-up' I wanted to get done. The mess of disconnected wires behind the half-assed dash install meant I really wanted to make sure the cig lighter was at least hooked up and hopefully will work so I can actually have a power source while I am slumming it on track.

    Anyways, so one major milestone I needed to accomplish was to finish hooking up the rear speakers I prepped earlier. E30Bastard is a serious audiophile and harassed me into buying the Hertz components for the rear and some 14ga wires to run to the Blaupunkt headunit. Pain in the ass, but do it once and do it right.



    That was the 'easy' part, and left me with trying to make this mess a little cleaner...


    I was able to route the wiring down to the center console and connected the cig lighter. Initial test showed the cig lighter has power, but we'll see how this all shakes out. Still no lights on the center console, but it looks like all the bulbs are there. Probably a ground somewhere thats not grounded. Fun stuff...

    OBC still has the UHC flashing situation. I am convinced the single yellow un-plugged connector might be the reason its still useless, but I have no idea. There is no female side, though there is a yellow wire in a small loop with 2 other wires that have cut ends... Might see what happens if I connect, probably not until I am sure of it. I am taking my Bentley to the track and something to read also, just to kill the time when Im bored, if that happens.



    With that all done, I washed one month of dust and grime off the car... shes still a POS but she cleans up ok and rips.






    I took it out yesterday and had a mk7 GTI with all the pops and bangs line up next to me at the freeway on-ramp light but I was able to merge onto the 405 quicker than him...
    niceee man, I bet that'll be a fun trip

    behind the dash wiring sure is fun isn't it! For what its worth, back in the day I converted my 6 button to a 13 button obc, and I could never get it completed right. I have like 2 or 3 loose yellow wire connectors on the passenger side too. Genuinely I have no idea what they go to, I think There's a second harness or something that im missing. But just know you're not alone lol. drive safe man, have fun!

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Alright, the car is prepped for another ~700+ mile road trip up to Laguna Seca for the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (such a mouthful...) ... I will probably hit up some of the Car Week shenanigans, but I enjoy the vintage racing that happens on track and it avoids all the annoying BS. With the brakes sorted, I also had an interior 'clean-up' I wanted to get done. The mess of disconnected wires behind the half-assed dash install meant I really wanted to make sure the cig lighter was at least hooked up and hopefully will work so I can actually have a power source while I am slumming it on track.

    Anyways, so one major milestone I needed to accomplish was to finish hooking up the rear speakers I prepped earlier. E30Bastard is a serious audiophile and harassed me into buying the Hertz components for the rear and some 14ga wires to run to the Blaupunkt headunit. Pain in the ass, but do it once and do it right.



    That was the 'easy' part, and left me with trying to make this mess a little cleaner...


    I was able to route the wiring down to the center console and connected the cig lighter. Initial test showed the cig lighter has power, but we'll see how this all shakes out. Still no lights on the center console, but it looks like all the bulbs are there. Probably a ground somewhere thats not grounded. Fun stuff...

    OBC still has the UHC flashing situation. I am convinced the single yellow un-plugged connector might be the reason its still useless, but I have no idea. There is no female side, though there is a yellow wire in a small loop with 2 other wires that have cut ends... Might see what happens if I connect, probably not until I am sure of it. I am taking my Bentley to the track and something to read also, just to kill the time when Im bored, if that happens.



    With that all done, I washed one month of dust and grime off the car... shes still a POS but she cleans up ok and rips.






    I took it out yesterday and had a mk7 GTI with all the pops and bangs line up next to me at the freeway on-ramp light but I was able to merge onto the 405 quicker than him...

    Leave a comment:

Working...