No announcement yet.

M42 Turbo Build (Semi Budget, keepng AC!) No 56k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Woops... little late but, yes DTM was great for help when I was learning the MS. Not sure on any of your RHD questions though... wish I was, that would mean I had one ;). Which I would love.

Ok, so cars are never really DONE right? Been tinkering with mine as always. Got tired of the way I had my wastegate actuator "mounted," and I use that term loosely. So it was time to fab up a bracket out of aluminum. Steel would have been better, but aluminum is easier to cut, I had it lying around, and I didn't want to use the old heatsink from one of my amps.

I did all the cutting with a jigsaw, metal blade of course, and then a file to smooth all the edges. Made a template out of cardboard (miller six pack if I remember correctly), and then transferred to the sheet of aluminum.

Boost is more consistent now since the actuator doesn't move around like it used to. Hitting maxes of 7psi in 2nd and 3rd, 8psi in 4th, and 10psi in 5th. Is that normal to have different boost maxes in different gears? First boosted engine... please bare with the possible newb question.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

Cars are never really DONE are they? Got tired of the way my wastegate actuator was "mounted," and I use that term loosely. So I fab'd up an aluminum bracket. Should have used steel, but I had this lying around and it's easier to cut.

Now my boost is much more consistent with maxes of 7psi in 2nd and 3rd, 8psi in 4th, and 10psi in 5th. Is that normal to have different maxes in different gears?
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
        Now my boost is much more consistent with maxes of 7psi in 2nd and 3rd, 8psi in 4th, and 10psi in 5th. Is that normal to have different maxes in different gears?
        It is if your wastegate can't move enough of the exhaust gases.

Comment

great thread!
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by thedguy View Post
            It is if your wastegate can't move enough of the exhaust gases.
            Thanks for that. I thought the internal waste gate/actuator were to blame but was not sure.

No new updates as far as the turbo setup goes other than I have to change plugs way more frequently... ~15000 miles. I've heard this is normal though so I am not concerned.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
            great thread!
            Thank you sir.
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

I think you've done everything you could possibly do on a nice daily setup. How are those turbos like on a motor of your size, funny enough I was given the exact same one for free from a mate. It's so small I don't know what to do with it at the moment its a door stopper :P

Comment

Originally posted by The Humjet View Post
                I think you've done everything you could possibly do on a nice daily setup. How are those turbos like on a motor of your size, funny enough I was given the exact same one for free from a mate. It's so small I don't know what to do with it at the moment its a door stopper :P
                Thanks. I'd agree about doing just about everything on this motor I could for a daily car. It has AC, some power, and is dead reliable at the boost levels I am running. Just got back from a 3000 mile trip to Miami.

This turbo is very small... which works fine for me with this motor. The m42 starts spooling at around 2800 and has full boost somewhere around 3500. I don't think I would use it on a bigger motor. I am going to be building an m50 turbo car in the near future and it will be getting something larger.
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

Did you ever dyno this? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
                    Did you ever dyno this? :D
                    Nope... I suck. And I haven't gotten track times after the new clutch install either. It will happen but life keeps getting in the way. Between helping my parents remodel their home, the wife, work, and all the other cars I hardly have time for anything.:(
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

msq post

Well, still no dyno or track times. I took the car to the track and as it was pulling up to the line (friend was driving) it started leaking coolant from a plug. No time for me... I was pissed.

Anyway... thought I would post the .msq to help out fellow turbo m42 owners. Or just for those who want to stash it/review it for possible future turbo setups.

This tune is setup on MS1 3.57 board. It is using the factory ICV setup and all other factory sensors minus the IAT sensor which is GM. Injectors are 46lb/hr LOW IMPEDANCE injectors. Spark setup is factory coils.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding it and I will do my best to answer.

CurrentTune.msq - 40.29 KB
                      91 318is Turbo Sold
                      87 325 Daily driver Sold
                      06 4.8is X5
                      06 Mtec X3
                      05 4.4i X5 Sold
                      90 325i Sold
                      97 328is Sold
                      01 323ci Sold
                      92 325i Sold
                      83 528e Totaled
                      98 328i Sold
                      93 325i Sold

Comment

dammit. i really want to download that file but im on a mac... FML ha

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

dismayed that I have not posted in this thread yet..

'cause I sure as shit have been reading it..
                          mad props !!
                          -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

^Thank you. I love driving the car every time I get in it... especially with the air temperature finally hitting less than the surface of the sun.

I've got some things coming for the car in the next couple of months. Was under it tightening a belt when I noticed my engine was sitting suspiciously low. You guessed it, collapsed motor mounts. Sooooo... I am going to do a bunch of stuff at the same time. Going to do head studs, new OEM head gasket/kit, possible o-ringing of the head, fix the stripped valve cover bolt holes (about half of them, thanks PO), new water pump, new chain tensioner, and inspect timing components.

Anyone know of a solid motor mount for these cars? I don't much care for hydraulic. Also anything else I should take care of while the head is off?
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

I just replaced my motormounts today with the green 535i mounts. Haven't really driven with them yet, but they're solid rubber. If you're replacing a bunch of gaskets, stay away from VReinz. Replaced every stupid paper gasket on my car with them about 3k ago and they're leaking. Bad. :(

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the gaskets. I couldn't remember which gasket brand it was that leaked.

When you get a chance to drive on those motor mounts let me know how they feel if you don't mind. Are they the same height as the m42 hydraulic ones?
                                91 318is Turbo Sold
                                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                                06 4.8is X5
                                06 Mtec X3
                                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                                90 325i Sold
                                97 328is Sold
                                01 323ci Sold
                                92 325i Sold
                                83 528e Totaled