• Show
Clear All

Got sick of looking at it

- Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
      Got sick of looking at it

I feel like this every time I work on my E30. I can pretty safely say I most likely wont endure another turbo build after this one is complete. My car is starting to become like yours and fight me every step of the way. ETA on when yours will be running again?

Turbo M42 Build thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

when everyone has running motors again we should have a day 'half way'... Winton anyone??
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

I'm in burkey. I was nearly aiming for the Fiat nationals at winton in January....as you can see I gave up on that quite sometime ago.

I know what your saying Ben, I've got no idea will happen if it all goes to shit again but I'm pretty sure everyone on the east coast of Aus will know about it! I'm running outta steam very quickly....coming up on being playing this game for 12 months! Imagine the grumpy M42 I'd have if the time and money had gone that way. The lessons we learn.

Just pulled the old oil cooler and lines.....metal sards everywhere. I can't be bothered. The braid was half buggered when I installed the lines and it spiked me a few times. Just going to buy new shit.

Tuner is going on Holidays March 12 so I am pushing to be on the dyno before then. He is keen to do an E85 tune so I might chase down the 300 mark if things are going well :)
          Last edited by e30guydownunder; 02-20-2012, 01:18 AM.
          - Chris

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
            I'm in burkey. I was nearly aiming for the Fiat nationals at winton in January....as you can see I gave up on that quite sometime ago.

I know what your saying Ben, I've got no idea will happen if it all goes to shit again but I'm pretty sure everyone on the east coast of Aus will know about it! I'm running outta steam very quickly....coming up on being playing this game for 12 months! Imagine the grumpy M42 I'd have if the time and money had gone that way. The lessons we learn.

Just pulled the old oil cooler and lines.....metal sards everywhere. I can't be bothered. The braid was half buggered when I installed the lines and it spiked me a few times. Just going to buy new shit.

Tuner is going on Holidays March 12 so I am pushing to be on the dyno before then. He is keen to do an E85 tune so I might chase down the 300 mark if things are going well :)
            Sounds like you'll get somewhere earlier than I will. Even though mine doesn't have much to go still a lot of small fiddley stuff to do. Then there's the wait for my ECU which had a fault in the board and still waiting for the Diagnostic to get back and issue sorted. Depending how mine goes with the M42 over the next year will determine whether or not it gets changed over to a m60 at time of respray or not. If it does I'll need to acquire myself a half chassis like yours to set it all up in :P

With any luck mine will be running sometime in march I hope. Still got no idea of power figures yet, Really just looking for it to run and be reliable.

Turbo M42 Build thread:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

So, you're going back to an M42?
              M20B23 Euro 323i - The Legend Of Ron Burgundrot

Comment

Originally posted by Reap3r View Post
                With any luck mine will be running sometime in march I hope. Still got no idea of power figures yet, Really just looking for it to run and be reliable.
                Pretty much where I'm at. Just want to drive it again. getting on boost and going sideways was fun :)

Your plans sound nice :)

Originally posted by OniKyan View Post
                So, you're going back to an M42?
                No I just finished reinstalling the built SR20.
                - Chris

Comment

I got excited recently.

No picture but also cut 2-3kg of wiring out of the car, didn't delete any features just left over wiring that was not required! working towards having the car alot neater.

Also bought a few bits and bobs that are in the mail:
                  - New Cam spray bars
                  -GTiR Oil Pump Drive (current supplier is being a dick bought one from Canada :/ )
                  - New CAS because my brother knocked the original one and smashed the plug :/

Also been formulating a plan for the oil accumulator and this is probably going to lead to the purchase of new oil lines. Just cause.
                  - Chris

Comment

Ohh yeah. E85 will prolly be happening :)
                    - Chris

Comment

I'm dragging this thing along to the finish! Tuner has given me till 12th of March before he goes on holidays so been busting some balls getting cracking.

Go to install turbo....opps theres that exhaust stud that was fucked. Another day another part. All fixed with a Seal lock threaded insert.

Some more wrinkle black was applied. Loving it!

Hey hey, the power unit has landed

And so has the oil pump drive collar!

Some extra steering column gauges...heaps sick aye

So the list of custom modification is looking like this:

- Move Alternator forward 5mm
                      - Make Oil Lines (picked up some black nylon braided lines and earls fittings)
                      - Finish off the electrical side of things
                      - Reassemble the engine bay!

Getting close now, it's a lil bit exciting.
                      - Chris

Comment

The alternator has been moved forwards, the oil lines are made and I went to Melbourne for the weekend! Atleast that's what people tell me. BIG weekend was BIG. But now I'm back and we are full in the swing of making this jigger go. My Old man has put some time into the electrics over the weekend and that is getting closer.

Put some heat shit on the tank and installed the exhaust:

EARL's!

Lines and Wrinkle black everywhere

Few extra turbo lines and heat wraps

Closing in on the assemble everything and turn the electrics on mark!
                        - Chris

Comment

We have motorvation! Got the car running 11pm Saty and dragged it down to the dyno on Sunday. Spent all day there finding lots of little problems and fixing them. Called it quits when the fuel pressure began to become inconsistent. I have a piece of fuel hose (10mm opps) between the surge and the 044.....making life a bit hard for the old pump. Working out how hard I want to tackle the fuel system but we will be back for more power.

In any case the engine is run in nicely it would seem, the E85 is going well and the engine sounds sweet. No strange noises like the other two and has no problems revving right out :)

I forgot to take the dyno plots to work to scan but should post them tomorrow. In the meantime we have 190kW @ 9 psi boost. Very happy....given last time I left the dyno I had this figure at 14psi! Have also picked up a bunch of response with the new engine / turbine housing. have boost much earlier than previous.

Here is a short video after the dyno tuning.

- Chris

Comment

- Chris

Comment

hmmm skid vids not loading
                              88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

didn't you see the 13sec video? :p just tried to take one of my new exhaust with a muffler but go pro wouldn't play ball
                                - Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X