Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ttrousdell's Project Thread (E30 M3 & S38 swap content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOOOO good. skipped around the first few pages till i saw the m30 and was like "oh, ok". that pier shoot makes your car look like it's owned by a hitman. and lastly, you want to boost an s38!!?!?!?! only good things are happening in this thread, very nice

Comment

any updates? I am loving this build and hoping you stay naturally aspirated. Have you decided about how to fit it in the e30 yet? What cooling setup, engine height and how far close or into the firewall?

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
        any updates? I am loving this build and hoping you stay naturally aspirated. Have you decided about how to fit it in the e30 yet? What cooling setup, engine height and how far close or into the firewall?
        Thanks man. Waiting on the machine shop to get the Ross pistons in which should be soon. Sorry darksideofwill, will take your advice on the next one. I have the e30 to s38/m30 block mounts from my m30 and another set that came with the s38. My m30 is 2.5 and the ones that came with the swap are unknown but i have two sets to work with to get me a good position. Im not too worried about getting it to fit. The radiator is custom and will fit in the radiator support where the AC condenser normally is. Im going to use the stock s38 t-stat housing, coolant piping on the front of engine and run a mechanical fan off the water pump. It will be tight. I have yet to make the subframe spacers. I will not be running the stock airbox which might be the higest point so the hood will hopefully clear if thats the case. Megasquirt 3, wideband O2, and Adjustable FPR are here. As a result the MAF and airbox are getting tossed. I will now have space for the stock brake MC. Plannnig on running 6 conical air filters off the ITBs. The exhaust will be 3" to a single flowmaster muffler. Single 3" inlet to a dual 2.5" out.

Non s38 update, picked up a Ryan G. splitter.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20120414-01636.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	7142935

....and my clutch master died after 3 months. Guess I should stop buying the cheap ones.

Name:	IMG-20120414-01637.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7142936

The Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Tom how many of these have you gone through? Didn't you just change MC recently?
          Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

Just 2. Changed out the slave,mc and rubber line 3 months ago.

The Build:

Comment

Mmmmmm. S38. You are doing it right.
              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

What a good build, love your attention to detail and how thorough you have been. Props dude

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                  Thanks man. Waiting on the machine shop to get the Ross pistons in which should be soon. Sorry darksideofwill, will take your advice on the next one.
                  Eh...
                  It's not my car. ;)

Good luck with it! :D
                  Hard to go wrong with an S38...

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                    The radiator is custom and will fit in the radiator support where the AC condenser normally is. Im going to use the stock s38 t-stat housing, coolant piping on the front of engine and run a mechanical fan off the water pump. It will be tight. I have yet to make the subframe spacers. I will not be running the stock airbox which might be the higest point so the hood will hopefully clear if thats the case. Megasquirt 3, wideband O2, and Adjustable FPR are here. As a result the MAF and airbox are getting tossed. I will now have space for the stock brake MC. Plannnig on running 6 conical air filters off the ITBs. The exhaust will be 3" to a single flowmaster muffler. Single 3" inlet to a dual 2.5" out.
                    I have not seen of heard of any stock BMW mounts working but that's not to say it can't be done. You are correct that it will be a tight fit with the stock cooling pipe and tstat in the lower front passenger side. You will likely need to at least hammer the firewall back for header clearance. With the rad in the AC housing spot you will be running the stock engine fan I assume? That is my setup but I'm tempted to switch to a puller fan which may be more efficient for both cooling and minimal hp loss recovery. I don't have megasquirt experience but it will be nice not having the huge airbox, MAF, and distributer cap as well as much easier access to vacuum and coolant hoses. Without the intake plenum, you might get away without needing subframe spacers but the throttle linkage is nearly as high. Using subframe spacers does give you a less extreme angle for the driveshaft as well as slightly lowers COG obviously but the engine brackets and mounts you use will determine if you'll need them or not. Note that if you use spacers thicker than probably 15mm, you'll want roll center spacers to compensate for the difference in suspension geometry. I made 23mm spacers and used VAC 19mm RCS which require at least 16" rims.

Comment

So what's new with this thing?

Comment

sick build. Wondering what happened to the m20 and what will happen to the m30. I love the dorm room shots by the way.

Also a guy with 700 hp s38 turbo m5 lives less than 50 miles from me. He rebuilt the whole motor and it took him a couple years to build. You may be interested to see his build/process. The car is known as lucifers hammer and the build is on mye28.com.

Would love to see updates.
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Any up dates?
                          Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
                            I have not seen of heard of any stock BMW mounts working but that's not to say it can't be done. You are correct that it will be a tight fit with the stock cooling pipe and tstat in the lower front passenger side. You will likely need to at least hammer the firewall back for header clearance. With the rad in the AC housing spot you will be running the stock engine fan I assume? That is my setup but I'm tempted to switch to a puller fan which may be more efficient for both cooling and minimal hp loss recovery. I don't have megasquirt experience but it will be nice not having the huge airbox, MAF, and distributer cap as well as much easier access to vacuum and coolant hoses. Without the intake plenum, you might get away without needing subframe spacers but the throttle linkage is nearly as high. Using subframe spacers does give you a less extreme angle for the driveshaft as well as slightly lowers COG obviously but the engine brackets and mounts you use will determine if you'll need them or not. Note that if you use spacers thicker than probably 15mm, you'll want roll center spacers to compensate for the difference in suspension geometry. I made 23mm spacers and used VAC 19mm RCS which require at least 16" rims.
                            I have not heard of any stock mounts working either. The ones I'm using were custom made. For cooling, I'm planning on using a spal puller fan controlled by the megasquirt. I haven't made the spacers yet. Once the engine is in ill see how much space I need and fab them up. I never considered roll center spacers but if the spacers are greater then 15mm ill have to do some research on those.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                            sick build. Wondering what happened to the m20 and what will happen to the m30. I love the dorm room shots by the way.
                            Wow that engine is beautiful. M20 was sold to F34R last year who hasn't done shit with it. It must suck to be that lazy. :razz: I'm going to leave the m30 in the car until the s38 is done then sell it. Ill be using the 260/6 with the s38. Im glad you appreciate the dorm shots. The response of my schools housing department to an engine in the dorm was quite the opposite.

I took the car to an auto-x event for the first time in June. I have a lot to improve on but I recommend it to anyone because it is insane fun. One of the first runs...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9LC3nCkDY

Name:	IMG-20120616-01771.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	7147526

I finally picked up the S38 parts from the machine shop this Friday after what has felt like an eternity since I dropped it off. The block was hot tanked, over bored to 94.6mm, decked. Crank was polished, new valve guides, valves and seats reconditioned, decked. The rotating mass was balanced.

Name:	GOPR0750.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	7147527

Name:	GOPR0754.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	7147528

Old rods and piston.

Name:	GOPR0755.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	7147529

Name:	GOPR0756.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	7147530

So now that most of the peices are here ill be starting the assembly soon. Stay tuned.

Recent picture of the car with my buddies 540i.

The Build:

Comment

Yawn.
                              ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                              ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                              ~ '87 535
                              ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                              ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Evening r3v. Took a break from the s38 to install ground control coils on my car this weekend. Ordered the kit with 440/650 spring rates

[ATTACH]62297[/ATTACH]

Cutting the strut tube with a pipe cutter. I removed a 2" section.

[ATTACH]62298[/ATTACH]

Used my 110V mig to weld the new perch on the housing. Used the highest amp setting on that little thing to get the best penetration.

[ATTACH]62299[/ATTACH]

Rears installed

[ATTACH]62300[/ATTACH]

Fronts installed.

[ATTACH]62301[/ATTACH]

The Build:

Comment

Working...
                                X