No announcement yet.

M20B29 w/ Triple Webers into my '71 2002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, just the undergrad right now (Aero Eng. w/ Astro emphasis). Very fortunate to be in a great group at Northrop where I've been able to work as an engineer without the degree. Similar to how Jeff was at Ireland ... whatever I can handle, go for it. Little intimidating, but not boring!

As for the wire, it's just basic stuff I had on hand. Stiff enough to hold the shape, but not too stiff where it's tough to bend. The wire gets you 90% of the way, but the last bits of adjustment are done on the car. Once you start working with it, you'll be amazed by how easy it is.

Comment

This should be a cool package. I plan on doing titanium exhaust when I do a 3.5" system.

The premier supplier and manufacturer of titanium tubing, titanium mandrel bends, flanges, and components for titanium fabrication(exhaust intake custom).

I looked at specing everything out from them.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
        No, just the undergrad right now (Aero Eng. w/ Astro emphasis). Very fortunate to be in a great group at Northrop where I've been able to work as an engineer without the degree. Similar to how Jeff was at Ireland ... whatever I can handle, go for it. Little intimidating, but not boring!

As for the wire, it's just basic stuff I had on hand. Stiff enough to hold the shape, but not too stiff where it's tough to bend. The wire gets you 90% of the way, but the last bits of adjustment are done on the car. Once you start working with it, you'll be amazed by how easy it is.
        Nice!

The only ones I've done were new cunifer rear lines on the E30 trailing arms. It's pretty fun to work with. Did you use big sockets for tight curves, or a bending tool? I just kind of shaped them with various sockets and shaped by hand using the old one as a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          This should be a cool package. I plan on doing titanium exhaust when I do a 3.5" system.

The premier supplier and manufacturer of titanium tubing, titanium mandrel bends, flanges, and components for titanium fabrication(exhaust intake custom).

I looked at specing everything out from them.
          Nice, best of luck. I'm curious to hear it on your setup. I chose Vibrant for parts because a couple of their people are bimmer guys who have been friendly for a while.

LateFan - you're set then. I do all bending either by hand or with this tool. It's my favorite bender to date (yes, the 5/16 size gives the bends a little breathing room).

Comment

Unreal! Just now catching up on the last several updates of yours, and really cool to finally see a sneak peek at what the roof rack looks like. This whole build is unbelievable, it is so well done. Was thinking about this car the other day and I'm stoked to see that you're making progress

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
            --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

What a thread!
              Car is an absolute stunner, and you have fantastic attention to detail.

Subscribed for updates.

Comment

Cubby, that's high praise! Thank you. Eager to put the roof rack to work. Hope all is well.

Panici, thank you sir. Any advice on how to remove the initial wrinkles from the gold foil? Mine came folded, and it's a PITA to get it to look cohesive.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time ago a friend called in a favor on my initial set of KW's. KW was kind enough to make a second set to my spec with a little tweaking of their own.

With the coilovers back in hand, it was then go time to get the car back on the ground! First time since 2016....oof.

FC00332A-4313-4B16-9B00-A95CB296D51A.jpeg.1a5d8c08d97283166e234bccfa6b26f3 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

The rear was relatively straight forward, but it did need a little clearancing on the mounting tabs to fit the finned differential cover.

5F4A578B-9859-49FC-B35E-4C4455A0A681.jpeg.1720437fa991ab43868e06cd4c6d0040 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

FA4A407E-FD62-4E44-82AC-179B2AAEB96A.jpeg.e9886c5e386cfa13c58271dad09638fb by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

A94BCC79-F502-4037-BBF0-EE9ACBCCE513.jpeg.400a6b428eb83d6cdef136e034c43b28 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

The fronts were more of a challenge, but then it was a big ask to fit the bumpsteer spacers and big brakes behind the 13's. To fit the purple-tastic bumpsteer spacers I needed to grind the control arm ever so slightly.

EE13A5B1-3FE7-477E-A3F4-FE873DD19973.jpeg.f0eec38fcf78caa65207ed3f3ec7c0d1 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

C906B646-5886-400A-B41E-CABDB64EC60C.jpeg.c9ad2237b8e33b0d6c1a7e5b03915822 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Here are a couple teaser shots of it on the ground! So excited! I should be able to get a number of little things done along with the engine in by next week. Then it's off to exhaust!

44EC5B34-ACFE-4F43-BB1F-1925DDF99732.jpeg.54581ffed64beee0cd4b1f44dd220da4 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

1FE702D0-A023-43EF-B82B-9D260E4D18BC.jpeg.3bd79d0aee2fef283e67b650976efafb by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

The car with completed exhaust (and new fun headers) will be at the Ireland Engineering open house on September 24th. They'll also have free In and Out truck out as well....that.convinced my wife to come, lol.
                Last edited by AceAndrew777; 08-10-2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this masterpiece at Ireland Engineering.

Comment

stunning.

What mods have you to your diff to get it to handle the torque that the M20B28 will be throwing at it? My cousin already blew up the diff in his TurboM10. Any help is appreciated
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
                      Panici, thank you sir. Any advice on how to remove the initial wrinkles from the gold foil? Mine came folded, and it's a PITA to get it to look cohesive.
                      I never did get my firewall gold foil installed without wrinkles. So much of it is hidden behind the engine that I wasn't concerned.
                      Peeling back the protective backing and sticking on small sections at a time (while keeping tension) seems to help.

For my intake charge pipes, I used a 2" roll of DEI gold foil tape. Cut strips slightly longer then your pipe diameter, and keep tension when applying.
                      Cut the strips in half or thirds lengthwise when wrapping around bends, as the thinner strips work better in that case.

Great thread update by the way. With the restoration work in the background and all the new shiny aftermarket bits mounted, it looks like you are modifying a brand new zero-mile car!

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        stunning.

What mods have you to your diff to get it to handle the torque that the M20B28 will be throwing at it? My cousin already blew up the diff in his TurboM10. Any help is appreciated
                        For now I've got the E36 318ti center section in the E21 open case. It's the strongest possible small case setup save for a Quaife. It should be able to handle the power. However, if it does go pear shaped, I'll go for the 2002 Underground rear subframe and a medium case diff.

Comment

He's having trouble connecting with 2002 Underground
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hmm... I know Ken sold it semi-recently and I have not talked to the gentleman who is now picking up the reigns. Assuming there's a steep learning and supplier curve, but don't have any insider info unfortunately. Hopefully it works out.

Comment

Easier in a roll.
                              This 6 mil thick foil has a fire resistant pressure sensitive adhesive that incorporates a fiberglass backing for strength and tear resistance.

Exciting to have a car back on its feet! :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Back to engine bay prep. Installed the E21/E30 Brake Fluid Resivour and made a new clutch master feed line. Zip tied the brake residual pressure valve in place and connected the steering column.

8F321FB6-0FE9-4D7D-8D84-017B415503E9.jpeg.61fd4f103cff2c2f5bbe61262a3675f2 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

58B8C8C4-FA58-49A6-A9D8-359C2F18B422.jpeg.fa439989036fbb6dffd61e8ea2c541ca by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Note that with the 02 Underground mounts, I'll be using stock E30 motor mounts and the motor will be cradled between them. Andrew at IE welded them in place (along with doing some more reinforcement),and hid a little easter egg in there.

1FBD6DFB-9EFF-498C-AEC1-76973EDEB396.jpeg.a3057c286229e1bf798d7b243779508e by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Then without further delay it was time to put the motor in! Ran into a number of fitment issues, but overall it's so nice to see it sitting there!

C54D2A14-A255-4F8E-B274-F59D40FE21E2.jpeg.524c0fb3dc7b8303b281a7ec8ccf8643 by Adams Autosport, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X