No announcement yet.

1991 318is from California on wide 15's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car looks clean! Come out Sunday night to the south bay meet.

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Out with the old leaky whiney 4.10, and in with a freshly done 4.27! This thing made the car feel so much better. I was wondering a few months back why my Girlfriend's sister's 318i Vert pulled better than my 318is even though it's heavier. After some research I found they used a 4.27 in those to account for the extra weight of the vehicle. The good thing is the convertible gets very similar mileage to the coupe (personally compared them both from LA to SF). The difference is just way more noticeable when you are getting up to speed. It doesn't feel like the car is revving hard all the time or anything... just that little something extra it needed.

I also had the rubber gas lines replaced from the tank that goes to and from the fuel filter. I didn't know the rubber was on its last leg, but after running some seafoam through the tank it let me know real fast that the rubber was on its way out. I feel a little better now knowing I have no leaks.

over 180k miles now... still runs like a champ, and I got over 33mpg on my last roadtrip up North a couple months back before the car was even lowered. I think with everything running real smooth now, a fresh oil change, lowered ride height (better aerodynamics), and steady pace I could push 35mpg highway. That would probably be with the 4.10 though. I am hoping I can stay around the old 33mpg with all that stuff I just mentioned and the new 4.27.
      GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

The intake manifold and valve cover have always bugged me since the day I started working on the car. It isn't exactly a big priority though with all the other thing I have on the list of things to do. I had some time today so I put some new paint on them. What an improvement!

GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Very nice build, subscribed. I have the the same engine/tranny mounts as you and I love them.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Great progress.

Comment

Isn't 205/50 a little undersized? With your rolled fenders, you can fit a 225/50.

You'll like the 4.27 diff. I got a smoking deal on my 4.44LSD and love it for city driving and hills.
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

^ only a little and it is perfect. 225's would not fit as I run -4 offset in the rear.
                GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Subscribed! I've just ran into this great build thread. Your car's looking awesome. I'm glad you were able to use the donor door I sold you (sorry it wasn't in better condition but that's just how I bought it) and thanks again for dropping off the dash. Keep up the great work while I follow all the progress.

Comment

Props on the 4.27 swap.
                    sigpic
                    January 2012 COTM

Comment

This is one sexy car

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                      Bluebird Bus Conversion
                      New Oregon Trail

Comment

Looking good Josh!

'04 Toyota Sienna AWD (sold)
                        '86 BMW 325 coupe (owned since 10/11)
                        '05 Subaru WRX sedan (sold)
                        '86 Subaru GL-10 wagon (sold)
                        '98 Acura Integra GS-R hatchback (sold)

Comment

A 4.27? Thats gotta be awesome for spirited driving, but how is it on the highway? I already pull over 3.3k doing 75mph haha. Valve cover and intake mani look great though!

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyvb View Post
                            Looking good Josh!
                            KENNY! thanks man

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
                            A 4.27? Thats gotta be awesome for spirited driving, but how is it on the highway? I already pull over 3.3k doing 75mph haha. Valve cover and intake mani look great though!
                            same diff that came in the 318i Verts...

I just got 402 miles on a tank with the 4.27 in driving up to SF from LA and around a little before putting 12 gallons back in my tank. I think it balances out the car better. Where you would typically be having to push the gas more to keep the car going now the gearing is making up for that little extra gas. This is actually the best rated MPG I've gotten so far. My 4.10 was worn and probably caused some extra drag, but from 380 to 402 miles on a tank is a good jump.

The car pulls like it should now. I really love the car with this diff now.
                            GRIPPY'S*GARAGE

Comment

Originally posted by kennyvb View Post
                              Looking good Josh!
                              wtf? kenny got a 30 too? ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by grippymonkey View Post
                                KENNY! thanks man
                                jhooks!

Originally posted by d_elson0 View Post
                                wtf? kenny got a 30 too? ha ha
                                danny! what's up? i was inspired by josh's build. i'm gonna sell the subaru soon.

'04 Toyota Sienna AWD (sold)
                                '86 BMW 325 coupe (owned since 10/11)
                                '05 Subaru WRX sedan (sold)
                                '86 Subaru GL-10 wagon (sold)
                                '98 Acura Integra GS-R hatchback (sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X