Robbies alpine sedan 5cyl swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
    Wow how have I never seen this before when I spend basically 24/7 lurking on here.
    This! How the hell has this passed me by??

Looks awesome! Loving the fab work.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
      Wow how have I never seen this before when I spend basically 24/7 lurking on here.
      I've never seen a volvo engine in an e30 this is pretty cool that you're doing something that's never been done.
      it doesnt get alot of interest on this forum so it generally falls a few pages back, hope to be making some good progress this month!

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
      This! How the hell has this passed me by??

Looks awesome! Loving the fab work.
      thanks =]

Comment

looking forward to this!

Brings me back to my 850 days. When I thought I was the shiz with my 16t turbo swap haha!

Comment

Alright so...you bought and m50 but never swapped it, then decided to slap in a 5cyl volvo engine? That sir, is just bitchin...
          Fuck you buddy

Comment

nice

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
              looking forward to this!

Brings me back to my 850 days. When I thought I was the shiz with my 16t turbo swap haha!
              lol, still a pretty popular swap, god knows why

Originally posted by gooseadrian View Post
              Alright so...you bought and m50 but never swapped it, then decided to slap in a 5cyl volvo engine? That sir, is just bitchin...
              lol, yep, got the m50, was planning the swap and getting ready then a buddy at work was mentioning the idea of swapping this motor into his 944 and it sparked a little fire in my mind lol, next thing i knew the m20 was out and the volvo motor was hanging in its place

So i still didnt like the way the back half of the pan turned out so i re did it again haha, much happier now, got more aluminum today so i can do some work on the sump tommorow, maybe have this sob wrapped up by the end of the week!

Comment

got quite a bit done this evening after work, although as soon as i looked at this picuture i was pretty bummed, looks horrible in picture, actually looks great and very proportioned in person =/ but oh well, once its all welded up it will look great under the motor where no one can see it except the protruding sides haha.

Comment

most of the pan is welded, probally should have welded in the baffles/trap doors before fully welding it but it shouldnt be hard to do now. One weld on the bottom cracked, dont think i had enough filler on it, so when i did a water test i found that, will go back over that and any other welds that look like they are lacking filler like that one and then test again.
                  Left to do:
                  get some pipe and weld in around the pick up tube area
                  weld in baffles/trapdoors
                  weld in drain plug and an fittings
                  weld to flange

atleast im making a little progress, i feel like i got a big chunk done already, still slightly worried about whats left to do, hoping it doesnt get too tricky.
                  only this pic for now, will take some better ones when its done.

Comment

Bolting that on looks like it's going to suck!

Comment

Aquired one he351ve turbo, this has the variable vane turbine and when the vanes are closed allows for 5cm2 and when all the way open 25cm2! Just need to be able to control the vanes which is possible mechanicly or electronically, will be setting up a manual controller at first.

Also finally split my space g260 so i can do a nicer job of modifying the bellhousing

Decided the position of the turbo and made a simple jig to hold in place so i can bolt it to a spare head and block and build the header at work.
                      This makes me so happy, i love big turbos :rofl:

and yes i accounted for the 1/4" lower that the turbo will sit because of the jig.

Comment

The turbo is now mocked up at work on a spare motor, i will take the water pipe and motor mount there tommorow and bolt them on so i can use them for mock up. Will proballyh start on making the collector tommorow and figure out the plan of attack.

Today i had a second shot at modifying the bell housing to fit, this is what i came up with...much better than before! Still want to do some welding to clean it up but im much happier
                        Clearance for starter, crank position sensor and heater hose coolant port.

Comment

not much of an update since i kind of gave up on this forum but the car came out of the cave today and got some sunlight right before going in the trailer. Of to the paint shop tommorow. The next time its back here it will have a fresh bay, very excited!

Comment

Don't know why your depressed about this forum.. My build thread hardly sees any traffic, but I keep chugging away because I love documenting what m doing, no matter how small

That being said, I'm really digging this swap. Just did the timing belt on my friends 850, and it's pretty simple and you don't need to slosh coolant everywhere either to do it. This is one cool swap; definitely not something you see on r3v typically. +1 for originality and +2 for the Snowflakes; some of my favorite stock manufacturer wheels

Your doing great work! Love it! Keep it up!

Comment

You've made a lot of progress since I saw it. Nice work.

Comment

I have a Volvo and an E30, and now I subscribed.
                                Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X