Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been gone for a couple days on a work-related trip. Some new brake pads and a few other little things showed up while I was gone.

In the meantime, here's a few pics from my travels that you might enjoy

First, a wierd tow truck made from an e21 bmw....spotted down near Yorktown, Va. what the hell....

At the Hermitage art museum in Norfolk, where I used to hang out as a kid.

On the flightline at Oceana, the Navy's Master Jet base.....F/A-18s are louder than anything you've ever heard when 15 feet away and at full military power...

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

got the A035's mounted. Damn this setup is heavy. And loud. Drove just down my street on them and my neighbors must have thought it was a big rock-crawling 4x4 coming by, haha...

then, for no reason other than "because rally car" I painted the bottlecaps. Didn't have more than half a can of any paint color in the cabinet, so just did two black and two white. Hey, why not, lol....

Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

You and your fancy rallycar tires... She's lookin' good :D

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Wow.... im slacking.
          sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
          Build Thread:
          Current ongoing build. Check it out!
          1991 318is 4dr rallycross
          Rallycross Build Thread.
          1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
            You and your fancy rallycar tires... She's lookin' good :D
            Will make it twice as embarrassing if I lose to one of the other e30s "not" on rally tires, lol...

Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
            Wow.... im slacking.
            yes, yes you are. But then again, I only have one car project at the moment.
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
              Will make it twice as embarrassing if I lose to one of the other e30s "not" on rally tires, lol...
              Challenge accepted

Go here be happy!

Comment

Deep thoughts: Just an offhand guess, but I think I've spent maybe $3500 on this entire project, including the purchase price of the car, SCCA membership, season of rallycross pre-paid, a set of rally tires, a set of Star Specs, and a pair of used and a pair of new Konis. Add that in to all the smaller stuff and that's my guesstimate of overall cost. I've also sold off about $500 worth of parts that came with the car. Not too bad. Were I to sell the rally tires and the euroweaves, I could be pretty close to the GRM $2012 Challenge budget, actually. Not that this car would do well in the GRM Challenge...

Anyhow, another quick one: install of the rear mudflaps. I used the RallyArmor basic universals, so had to do some trimming and fab up some basic brackets. All in all they turned out pretty good I think.

the brackets

installed. I'll put some rubberized undercoating over all the bolts once I'm sure everything is lined up how I want it.

had so have a bit of fun, just because this is not a serious car, so it shouldn't look too serious.

Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I know this car is for rallycross and a good audio system is not necessary or desired. But I have to drive to the track, and the Blaupunkt deck that came in this car is simply atrocious. The sound is simply pathetic and it can't even drive the so-so Infinity speakers in the front kick panels. I've always hated Blaupunkt and been amazed that anyone ever bought them.......So went digging into the parts cabinet to pull out an old Pioneer deck that was pulled out of my 1992 Accord almost a decade ago (it was a nice deck at the time). Had some display issues, which I fixes with a little ghetto-work with the soldering iron. Hooked it all up, and damn....the 2-speaker system actually sounds very good now. me = pleased. Still no iPod input, but I have about 600 CDs in cases in the hosue, so I'll just listen to old-school stuff to and from the track.

Also disabled the security tabs so I can pull it out quickly before the event starts and put it back in easily afterwards.

old:

new(er)
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I will have full interior and be almost completely stock and still beat you. :nice:
                    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
                    Build Thread:
                    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
                    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
                    Rallycross Build Thread.
                    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

ooo im going to have to make a trip up to summit.. .

Comment

you'll be sidewayz around every turn, and then your trunk will fall off....

and it's not me you have to worry about. I'm not in your class. It's the eta with the two drivers who won that class last year you have to worry about, lol.

aside from the fact that I"m more or less just as much a n00b at this as you are, in a car with way less power and a little bit less weight. So really, you *should* beat me.

but you won't. ;)

and if you do, I'll make some excuse about my clutch slipping or something out of my control. lol.....
                        Last edited by irish44j; 03-03-2012, 06:37 PM.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

dem fightin words yo.

jk this shall be interesting!

Comment

Hey spencer, is stuart going to drive too? I didn't see him signed up.
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                              Hey spencer, is stuart going to drive too? I didn't see him signed up.
                              Yessir, signing up this week. And man! We even had almost had the same head units in our Accords

Go here be happy!

Comment

forgot about a few other little things I did today. Pretty small stuff, but might as well post it up anyways.

First....I left the car outside yesterday during the big downpour and found that I still had a leak, since there was a ton of water on the passenger floor (which luckily is Rhino-linered, so no big deal). Thought I had fixed all the leaks, ugh.

Luckily, the dust on the inside of the firewall showed exactly where the water trail came from - the seal around the HVAC unit. Hmm....not going to rip apart the whole dash to pull it and replace the seal, so investigated from the frontside access panel to the heater fan. Clearly leaking through the foam seal, which sits only like 1cm above the drain route from the intake vents.....so any heavy rain overwhelms the drain. Also cleared some junk out of there that probably didn't help with drainage.

Ended up just using some leftover silicone from recent bathroom caulking work and just put it all over the top of the seal, in the gaps, etc. It's really tight in there so used a small flathead screwdriver to smooth it and make sure it filled all gaps. Dumped a bucket of water in to the vents (slowly) and no leaks, so we'll see if it's a good permanent fix

Second. Thinking back to an eduro I crewed for a few years back, where our front-running car's day ended when a chunk of asphalt kicked up and pierced the gas feed hardline. The e30 hardlines for gas and brakes are pretty exposed. THe rally flaps will help, but wanted a bit of secondary protection on that side of the car. So, cut out more of my trusty plastic storage bin top, lol. bolted on with a second nut onto the bottom of one of my seat bracket mounts.

More on those lines, the fuel line wraps around the front of the subframe runners right behind the front wheel, totally unprotected by the mudflaps when turning left, and prime for a hard gravel/rock kickup (am I sounding paranoid yet?). So I cut out some hose from an old fluid transfer pump, and wrapped the line (held in place with zipties). Probably pointless, but peace of mind at least

and a few other random pics I took with the car out of the rear mudflaps, etc

oh, and painted the front center caps black, just because...

Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X