Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    kind of cool, I got an email from the director of the RG 318is Rallye series in Germany, which is kind of a "SpecE30" series but on rally courses. I think it's more like rallysprint (single-stage) than a full stage rally, but it's very cool.

He said:
    "The BMW is a full Cup Series, the cars are all Built on Cup Rules.
    To keep costs low, we drive all the Bilstein B6 Series shock absorbers [Bilstein HD's in the US] and springs or springs from one E30 325ix.
    Preferably, the springs from the 325ix. I am happy to send you a sticker set, it is an honor.
    If you come to Germany, you're happy with invited us to ride.
    You can find on our home our rules under "Articles" The yes you can with a translator (Googel) Compile.
    Since I can not speak English I do that as well.
    Please send me your address. Your picture will be put on our home.

Greetings from Germany

Norbert"
    That's awesome.

Comment

So as mentioned above, was chatting with Rallye Gruppe 318is Cup, and they put us on their homepage (:D)

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

^^Thats really cool!
        S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
        What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
          got some swag from Carlos at CondorSpeed :)

Did you get your shirt too?

•• Powersteering Deletes • M20 Motor & Trans Mounts • 24V swap mounts • UHMW Offset CABs ••
          •• Rear Subframe Bushings • RTABs • Facebook ••

Comment

Originally posted by silence View Post
            Did you get your shirt too?
            yep, but it was in the wash when I took the pic :) Thanks!
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

nothing real exciting, but small victory so I guess I'll "document" it :)

Got the rest of the shorter flywheel bolts in from blunttech (thanks for the fast shipping!), so finally able to get the flywheel onto the car. To hold the flywheel still while I torqued the bolts to spec I rigged up a little "holder" with some angle aluminum. Bolts go about 80lb-ft.

yay

no pic, but there is a slight clearance behind thanks to grinding the ribs on the rear oil pan down.

and with some new clutch bolts, torqued to spec (20ftlb), the clutch is on too. This is a new Sachs clutch. The flywheel and pressure plate surfaces were milled by the previous owner and are very nice...

and on goes the transmission. still need to clean up the casing some...

so that's it for now....need to get a few more tranny mount bolts and some starter mount bolts....

also need to get the rear transmission shaft bolt off and do the rear tranny seal, since it looks like it leaked at one point and not sure of its current condition. I have a spare seal that came with my old M10, so that's free anyways.
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

some minor tranny work this evening...

replaced the output shaft seal. The old one looked pretty fresh, but I had a spare new one that came with the car when I bought it, so might as well while I'm in here.

pulled off the crossmember and old tranny mounts....yum

cleaned up and replaced them with some UUC "black" urethane mounts. I'm using the Condor solid engine mounts, but since I like to drive this car around and have to drive it to events, didn't want solid tranny mounts. I thought I had some urethane tranny mounts in my parts box, but as it turns out they apparently are not for an e30, lol....whoops.

UUC had a thankgiving sale going, so I got these cheap anyhow, so that's good...

all cleaned up

also pulled off the selector nub to look at the little seal there. The seal looks to be new and I don't see any evidence of degradation, so I'll just leave it....I don't want to bother ordering a new one anyhow.

But, the selector rod wobble joint was cracked....I guess the P/o was pretty aggressive shifting, lol

luckily I had a couple good ones sitting around on my 2 spare G240s, so use one of them. All put back together.

one question: RealOEM shows the main output seal nut to have a lock collar (like the CV axle nuts). None of my three transmissions have this lock collar on them. So all have probably had the rear seal replaced and they didn't reinstall, I guess. All of them were still torqued to spec. So do I need these, or will some Loctite RED do the trick fine?
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So now I've posted all the M10 stuff up for sale, so I need to get moving on getting it out of the car. Tomorrow is supposed to be a rare 70-degree December day here, so I'm burning the last of my use-or-lose leave at work to stay at home and wrench. Will probably take the car for one last drive with the M10, check compression for the next owner, whoever that is, and then start getting stuff ready to get the engine out....drain the coolant, take out radiator, take off exhaust and driveshaft, clamp off and remove fuel lines.....we'll see how much I actually get done.

In the meantime, picked up a partial M42 exhaust system from a local for a few bucks. It's broken/cut off just behind the resonator (which was rusted out anyhow). The guy's car was LOOOOOW so it has a lot of scrapes on it.

also a cut in the y-pipe from a dremel....not sure what's up with that but will get it welded up.

the cat shield had a lot of nastiness inside of it. The cat substrate looks like it's breaking up and not all there. The plan is just to cut the cat out and put a test pipe in or something....don't want a re-do of my last cat disintegrating and clogging the exhaust...

or if I get lazy, I'll just gut the rest of it.

mock-up :)

one other little thing.....the one throttle body elbow I have is brittle and cracked. The other one (in this pic) is still pretty good rubber, not brittle or anything. But it does have a crack where the ICV hose goes. Hopefully a couple zip-ties and black RTV silicone will work here :)

Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I also now have three good M42 headers, so if anyone needs one, let me know!
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Today was beautiful weather so I took the day off work. The plan was to get everything prepped for pulling the M10 out at a later time....all wiring disconnected, fluids drained, radiator out, driveshaft detached, etc etc.

Spent a couple hours this morning doing that, and various other things related to the other cars and house....

mmmm....coolant. For some reason I hate anti-freeze with a passion. Far worse than any oils or lubricants. Don't ask me why....

all the wiring disconnected

exhaust off (a good inch of caked/baked-on clay on the front pipe sections)

Did a few other tasks once all that was done, and planned to come back in a week or two to pull the engine. Then my wife gave me a birthday present early - an engine/lift leveler. So it was only 2pm....might as well just do this now, with the car on an incline, by myself :)

Started lifting the engine out, and for some reason it wouldn't clear the passenger-side motor mount. Sat there for like 10 minutes racking by brain before remembering the dumb little "shock absorber" that attaches next to the passenger motor mount. Couldn't see it from above so i forgot all about it...duh.

So once that was disconnected....

empty bay....will get a good cleaning and maybe some random paint color before I put the new engine in. I really hate the black bay paint, since it makes it "dark" to work in, and doesn't show leaks that I want to know about....

now we be rolling rally-kar style yo...

with the car on an incline, I was able to just let off the brake and roll it out of the way of the engine. Then dragged the whole hoist into the garage since I'm already using my two ghetto-rig engine dollies for the M42s...

It's getting pretty crowded in here. I need to get rid of some engines!

The plan of attack for the next couple of weeks:

1. Finish up the new engine....need a couple tranny bolts and a few other random things.
                      2. Figure out if I can use the M10 driveshaft. The M42 output flange is about 1" farther back relative to the one on the M10, so I'll take a look and see how much available splined section I have left on the slip-joint on the DS behind the center support bearing. And if the CSB can move back far enough, for that matter. If not, may just use the front section of the M42 DS and leave the M10 rear section in place since I know it's good. We'll see. Trying to avoid unbolting it from the diff, since that's a hassle.....
                      3. clean up the engine bay
                      4. replace a couple PS hoses that look a bit leaky.
                      5. make some new mounts for the M42 radiator, since it apparently doesn't drop into the M10 rad mounts, I dont' think.
                      6. set up the Spal fan on the M42 radiator.

and other things I'm surely forgetting.....
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

:slowclap:

Very impressive Josh. So you're expecting to have something like 40% more power than before with this M42, right? Should make next year interesting :)

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                        2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

lol......in my defense, I had less power than any of the BMWs out there this year, by a wide margin.

you guys going to get that car on some proper-height springs so you don't bash things every event?
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

just ordered up a run of next season's "team" stickers. I give these away to the other local e30 drivers, and also send them to other e30 drivers around the country that rallycross, in swap for their team/local club stickers. Kind of a fun way to meet other people. Will have to send one to Caswell for his rallycar :)

Last edited by irish44j; 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM.
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Moving along with some projects before I put the M42 in.

First, going to clean up the bay and repaint it a light color (or several, whatever i have in rattle-cans sitting around the garage). Having a black engine bay sucks because it doesn't show up leaks, and it's dark when working in there. So this one will end up a tan/beige color. And hey, it won't look so dirty since the paint will match the dirt, lol

wife caught me working...

So looking at what i have to do here, looks like I'll have to make a few changes. The M10 power steering line is oriented wrong for the M42, since the M42 PS pump is rotated 90 degrees down from the M10...so I need to score up another M42 line. Also will replace the LP hoses since they look pretty old.

Also mocked up the M42 radiator and the lower mounts are totally different location and height from the M10, so will need to fab up some new lower brackets or something.

In case anyone cares what an m10 vs m42 radiator look like...

bay a bit more cleaned up.

also ordered up some delrin bushings for the shifter carrier (where it attaches to the transmission) to eliminate some slop, and need to get a new shifter bushing, since the M10 has the sheet-metal carrier/console and uses a smaller bushing than the aluminum carrier on the M10......
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Took yesterday and today off so I could head down to Richmond to see a show. Total non-sequitur to this thread, but I've seen 200+ concerts over the last 20 years or so, and this one ranks in the top-10 easily. At least, the headliner Halestorm. Great show, great musicians, really it was a perfect show.....bands played top-form, perfect soundboard, and overall entertaining.

and frankly, Lizzy Hale simply rocks. She could be Joan Jett's daughter, lol...

had to come home early this morning since the kiddo had a high fever. While she went to the doctor's office with mom, I took the opportunity to.....

PUT THE M42 in!!

yup, that's an engine in the car again :)

Got most of it hooked up, except for the PS system (still need to find a HP hose that fits), and didn't do any wiring yet. But it's in there so now I'm just hoping it runs well once I get everything ready to start...

Condor Speed Shop (silence) solid motor mounts

UUC poly transmission mounts

also looks like my M10 driveshaft will work fine with a minor adjustment in the slip/splined joint, so that's excellent....since the two m42 DS's I have have pretty un-smooth feeling U-joints and shot CSBs.

Also just hooked up the old clutch slave cylinder, since they're all interchangeable. Tested it by turning the output shaft by hand with the clutch in (turned freely) and then let the clutch out and of course it wouldn't turn. So that's good :)

got the fuel lines hooked up, but still have a few things to clean up and hook up.

so.....that's it for now
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X