Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    Pics of the head gash or you made it all up...
    even though you could just look on my FB page. Gabe said the same thing, lol...

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Nice. I stayed off FB most of yesterday due to the political crap and 9.7 BILLION Sandy pictures.
      Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by spoth View Post
        Thanks for the stud ideas. I'm missing two on my eta, so I'll grab some of those e-torx ones.

Also, we're planning on fixing our shock tower correctly. I'll try and grab some photos of the process.

Here's some other photos from this weekend:

Man those are some nice pictures! Any chance they're all hosted somewhere? I would love to see some more glory shots of the E28.

I took the E28 out in the middle of Sandy on Monday night and had a blast! Aside from not being able to see where I'm going (no heater core...) the car barely noticed there was a "hurricane" going on. I'm hoping to get the skid plate repaired, M-Tech wheel installed, and possibly raise the seat up and fix the body rust before the final event. I can't wait! Then it's on to getting those custom F+RSTBs made, and starting on the 885 swap! Oh, and line the rear seat area with some duct insulation, because the drone from that muffler on the highway is unbearable....

Oh, so does everyone else also go home after an event and blow their nose to find that only dirt comes out? Yeah, starting to think I should wear a dust mask when I'm working the course....

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
        2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 95maxrider View Post
          M-Tech wheel installed
          How are you going to do that?
          Patrick Henry

Comment

Nick, are you going to go to the event the next week in York PA? I'll be there as will James and some of the blue e30 guys I think. Plus some other interesting cars signed up so far....
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by phenryiv1 View Post
              How are you going to do that?
              22mm, on and off. ;) Oh, did I not mention I got another wheel for $40?

Josh, I haven't signed up yet. Who else is going? I'm going to assume Patrick won't be trailering his car up there....
              Last edited by 95maxrider; 10-31-2012, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Josh, I haven't signed up yet. Who else is going?
                I'm going, a few of the subie guys are going, James Spoth said he's going (not sure how many of his co-drivers are, but probably 1 or 2 others). There's some other random e30 already registered. I'm sure Stuart/Spencer are going since it's only like 45 minutes from them. It's on a dirt circle-track and infield, so could be interesting :)

Pat and Jason are not going, I don't think, since Pat doesnt want to tow that far.

Plus, it's cheap for a rally-x, like $40.
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                  I'm going, a few of the subie guys are going, James Spoth said he's going (not sure how many of his co-drivers are, but probably 1 or 2 others). There's some other random e30 already registered. I'm sure Stuart/Spencer are going since it's only like 45 minutes from them. It's on a dirt circle-track and infield, so could be interesting :)

Pat and Jason are not going, I don't think, since Pat doesnt want to tow that far.

Plus, it's cheap for a rally-x, like $40.
                  Is it Saturday or Sunday? I was hoping to work on the car Saturday...

Comment

Good deal- bring that Momo and I'll try it out.
                    Patrick Henry

Comment

Is it Saturday or Sunday? I was hoping to work on the car Saturday...
                      sunday. It's listed in myautoevents.com....one of the 3 rallycrosses listed on there, and the other 2 are in Michigan.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

ok, so time for some more actual work.

Mail came today with a fuse box and round C101 connector from an early-ish M20 car courtesy of Dave (the admin over at M42club.com).

Why do I need this? Because my early '85 car has the square 19-pin C101 main bus connector for the engine, and square don't fit with the round 21-pin C101 on the M42.

Here's the M10 rectangular C101

Here's the M20/M42 circular C101

Instead of direct-splicing all that wiring, I decided to do a hybrid setup.

I have a spare M10 harness sitting around, so I took the female C101 plug off of that and spliced it to the M20 round C101 female connector. That way I can keep my old fusebox and not have to deal with all that wiring too, and I can plug the M42 engine harness into the M10 connector at the fusebox.

There are a few complications here, since my very early car has a few non-matching wires with the M20 car (a couple diagnostic plug wires, and one I haven't been able to identify yet). And then the M20 plug has a few differences with the M42 plug, so I'll have to move 1 pin (I think) and also add a couple other pins for wires that are seperate in the M10/M20 setups (like the DME control wire).

Anyhow, figured it's something to do while watching TV, and so I don't have to deal with it once I actually start the swap itself in a month or two.

Luckily, there are some good resources out there. I'm using in particular this page:

which deals with M42 swap into a 2002.

Also this one, a nice diagram of the two different C101 plugs that someone posted on photobucket

here's my new wiring, and my box 'o wires

and these are my conversion notes for the three different connectors. Need to clean it up a bit, but getting there...

In other news, I happened upon my PS pump for this engine. I totally forgot it had one when I bought it.....had stuck it on the back of a shelf someplace and was actively looking to buy one on the forums. Happy I found it before I bought another one, lol

Next rallycross (the last of the WDCR season) is just over a week away now. I'm also starting to work on "recruiting" for next season, as I talked to Adam (the guy running rally-x program now) and said I would take the reigns for some "marketing" of sorts. So my first try was on Miata.net. This is a tough sell since to run the miata guys have to have a hard top, and most of their cars are set up for track or nice-weather cruising. But there were several Miatas at nationals this year, and running in other regions, so it's time to see if I can recruit some more locally.

I'm using Evan's turbo miata build in DirtyImpreza as inspiration for them :)

Last edited by irish44j; 11-02-2012, 06:33 PM.
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Nice bit of info with the wire`n.
                          E30/ 318i m10, e30 m50 & E34/ 520i m50

Comment

Originally posted by pazza View Post
                            Nice bit of info with the wire`n.
                            I'm sure I'll screw it up anyways. I can do a lot of things on cars, but electrical has always been my weak point :P
                            Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Jason and I went down with the trailer to pick up the other engine about 2 hours away in tappahannock. Loading it was interesting and the engine was in a wood shipping crate, and all the other stuff was in another crate. A lot of swearing, sweating, and improvising and we finally got it up on the trailer and back to my place.

Anyhow got this engine because it has several parts that I still needed: M42 radiator and hoses, uncracked lower oil pan, plug cover, shifter linkage, and some other parts. IT was supposedly maintained by a good shop and is low miles (120k, IIRC), so I'm hoping when I open the case I'll find updated timing components and oil pres. relief valve. We'll see.

Also came with the MAF assembly/elbow in good shap, another ECU (now I have 5 of them...), driveshaft, transmission, clutch/flywheel/etc, and all the hoses look to be pretty new and feel pretty firm. So hopefully for what I paid for it half of that is covered by stuff I had to get anyhow.

Also has all accessories, a couple AC compressors, two good rear shocks, some rear springs (not sure which), spring pads, and other parts that I won't need and can either clean up and sell to recoup some money, or take to the scrapper and get a few bucks for them (I have full AC system from two M10 engines here too, plus an m10 block and head, and other heavy metal stuff from old British cars that is rusting away)....need to do a scrap run.

Also like the sturdy shipping crates. I think I'll use them as a base for a new workbench :)

Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

A bit of late-night parts-pulling from the new engine and I've found the following:

- it has the spark plug "BMW" cover. Not that I care much about the engine cosmetics, but in rallycross would rather have a cover on anything I can to keep it clean. That will get prettied up and put on the other engine.

- plug wires appear to be nearly new (will use them)

- there is oil in one plug cylinder - probably from the valve cover gasket leaking, i'd guess.

- pulled the oil pan. It's in great shape. No cracks, no scrapes. A rare unmolested pan, lol. Unfortunately, the oil left in it is pretty nasty. I can't tell, but there is a bit of look like it might have a bit of coolant in it. Not "chocolate milk" as I've seen before, but maybe......or it could just be old nasty oil that's a bit soupy. I guess when I pull the head on this at some point I'll see how the HG looks.....not really concerned about that right now.

dirty, and shocker there's a bolt from the upper oil pan sitting in there.......big surprise, not.

all cleaned up. I am a bit annoyed though. I ran out of Dawn, which I always use to clean up dirty engine parts. Went up to the kitchen to get some from under the sink......and it seems my wife is now buying some trendy dish soap of some sort. I tried it, but it doesn't attack grease nearly as well as Dawn does. Grr.

my old oil pan....JB weld repaired, scraped to hell. car it came out of was slammed, I know that for a fact

and one fail: realized that I forgot to put the oil pressure relief valve back in before installing the upper pan on the rebuilt engine. Need to figure out if that can be installed via oil reservoir/pump removal of if I need to pull the upper pan....again ;p

other things...the "new" engine has good adjuster ladders for the alternator and PS pump - mine on the other engine were all stripped, so those are good to have.

pulled the valve cover. Looking down in there it looks like it has the old-style chain guide (I have a new-style one on the other engine, brand new, but was hoping this one had the updated parts....)

hard to see here...

In better news, the timing sprockets in the "new" engine are in excellent shape - they must have been replaced at some time, or the timing tensioner was always kept good. EIther way, good-condition timing sprockets is an added bonus, since I wasn't expecting them.

ok, that's it for now....
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X