Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I did *something* today at least. Still waiting for th e21 to get out of here (and money in) and I'll immediately order the new suspension. I think I have it all decided what exactly I'm going to do but more on that once I have it in hand.

Carlos at Condor Speed Shop is also sending me some UHMV rear subframe and diff bushings, which will tighten up the rear end a bit. I've shied away from a lot of solid bushings in the front, to try to reduce impact shock on the front suspension and chassis - especially since on dirt it doesn't matter all that much. I'm doing it in the back though because first of all my diff bushings is kind of shot anyhow, but mostly to tighten up throttle response a bit and get a bit better feel on the rear end. I'm not doing the RTABs though, since I want them to be able to deflect a bit on hard side impacts.

So will be dropping the subframe and diff to do that, and doing all four corners of springs sometime here in January I think.

And talking to Ozgur, who is building the Rally America cage on the e30 I'm crewing for at the Waste Management Winter Rally this February. So far it looks like a great cage, and the plan is to do my car next, sometime this Spring perhaps :) We'll see.

In the meantime, stumbled upon a local selling the cover for the engine wiring loom. M10 cars didn't have the firewall harness holder, and I had the bottom section when I got the engine, but have never had a cover. They're surprisingly not that easy to find....junkyard cars always seem to be missing them. In any case, picked one up locally for a few bucks. Doesn't quite fit (since I have some extra wires and stuff jammed in there) using the stock clips, but I just used some zipties. Not really consequential, but it cleans up the engine bay a bit and keeps mud and stuff out of the electrical area, including the relays.

Don't think my engine bay is gonna make it into any import tuner magazines any time soon though...

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

That cover is an M3 cover. The regular M20 E30s didn't have those either. They had this weak ass J thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
        That cover is an M3 cover. The regular M20 E30s didn't have those either. They had this weak ass J thingy.
        IDK, from what I've seen, M42 318s had that cover stock. My M42 harness came with the inner section of it that fit with the cover perfectly.

stock 318is bay:
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I think M42s came with them too. That model is special. I don't know much about it since I hate 4 bangers :*

Miss you buddy. I need to rally soon. Too bad I can't steal Ted's 2.5rs anymore :(

Comment

Screw Ted's boring RS anyhow....Subies are boring to rallycross :)

Go get yourself a stockish cheap e30 or e36 of any kind and run it, son! You have until March or so ;) Craigslist is full of people trying to dump RWD cars for the winter!
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

lol eh. No room for multiple project cars. Got to get the V8 car in better shape.

Comment

lol, doesn't need to be a project. Chris and Stephen and those guys have been running an essentially stock ETA for 4 seasons now with very little work done on it at all - and they've won 4 class championships with it :)
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Cool stuff! Nice find on the harness cover, looks much better!

I need to get out to some of the local events to just watch. I know there is a group of maybe 4-6 iX's that rally pretty regularly out here. I think their name is Dsport? Either way, awesome stuff.
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                    Cool stuff! Nice find on the harness cover, looks much better!

I need to get out to some of the local events to just watch. I know there is a group of maybe 4-6 iX's that rally pretty regularly out here. I think their name is Dsport? Either way, awesome stuff.
                    Interesting.....to be honest e30 IXs would not even be close to competitive against any of the GCs or WRXs (or Evos), I wouldn't think. But who knows....Almost all the e30 guys in our group (about 40 of them nationally) run RWD e30s.

Definitely get out though. Steve Warren (Warren rallysport) puts on some of the most excellent rallycross events in the country. It's not SCCA, they're all "creative" events (part tarmac, or part banked racetrack, or big water/mud pits, "ProSolo" style mirror-courses, and other cool ideas).
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I know I can google but any easy ways to see local events here in PNW?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

If you're on facebook, join this group: https://www.facebook.com/WarrenRallySport/timeline

Else browse around the Pacific Northwest regional forum in NASIOC. Rallycross events are ALWAYS posted on Subie forums :)
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

btw, Nick was "nice" enough (lol) to capture some photos of my SNAFU while loading after just losing the season. Since I've got to own the stupid shit as well as the good stuff, here is the photo evidence.

Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Ah, what the heck. How about a Christmas Eve project, because I've seen It's a Wonderful Life enough times :)

I was just doing some engine bay cleaning, but then decided to have a bit of fun...

For some reason I really want to do Martini livery on this car now, lol

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Really digging the blue stripes. Looks great!!!
                              My Garage
                              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Just some measurements for posterity/future use after I change the suspension. This is with the H&R sports (with 1" spacer in front and 1/2" spacer in rear), M3 offset CABs up front, and M3 offset top hats in the front)

Current measurements (with winter wheels/tires on the car) on flat/level surface:

Height from hub center to wheel arch
                                LF: 14 1/8"
                                RF: 14 3/8"
                                LR: 13 3/8"
                                RR: 13 1/4"

Static camber
                                LF: -1 3/4
                                RF: -2
                                LR: -2 1/8
                                RR: -2 1/8

Static caster
                                LF: +8
                                RF: +8 1/4
                                Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X