the Aluminum Monster. a 318 with a special 24v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, we have another installment of "I swear, the car is safe"

In todays update, my agenda was fairly simple. Install the rear brake pads, throw on the garagistic rear toe hooks and add the bump stops that I somehow forgot to install when I did the rear Konis. Should be easy, I figured I would be done in an hour, max.

rear_fixes by 2mAn

Started with the bumpstops, cut them down a little and sliced them down the middle too. Installed them, and threw a zip-tie around them so they wouldnt find a way to come off. Yes, I could've taken the shock out and disassembled everything, but I wanted to finish this stuff quickly, so BOOM done.

On to the garagistic tow hooks.

I've had these for a while, and recently decided it was finally time to put them on. Sprayed them with the same Kawasaki Green that I painted the front tow hook and went to install them. However, they didnt slide over the lower Koni as well as I liked, so I will have to take a stepped bit to them to enlarge the hole a little. BOOM, not done. Lets move on though, I have places to be...

Now it was time for the rear brakes pads. Should be cake, right? ... well, lets pause for a quick history lesson.

My car came from Germany (West Germany?) in 1984 with drums in the back. Sometime between 1984 and 2012 somebody converted the rear to discs. When I bought the car, this was already done and the brakes overall looked like they had been attended to. They had drilled rotors already and stainless lines, so I never really worried about them much. This was the first time I was taking the brakes apart. I recently had become a little suspicious about these rear brakes because the rear right rotor had rust forming on the rotor face itself. A functioning brake will eat up this rust with one application of the brakes, but this wasnt happening, and I was about to figure out why...

(back to our regular broadcasting)

Pulled the rear caliper off and saw the worn pads, threw them aside and went to install the new pads. Immediately something seemed off. These new pads looked shorter, and upon closer inspection of the old pads, there was a section along the top of the pad that wasnt making contact with the rotor so the pad was worn down with a big step up.

Semi-ignoring this I pressed on.

Put the new pads on the rotors and went to reinstall, but these new pads didnt quite sit perfectly on the caliper bracket. Did I get the wrong pads?... Comparing the pad to the rotor, these looked like the correct pads....ok.... So, do I have the wrong calipers on the car?... How is that possible??... After fumbling around a bit and talking with my friend who was there helping, and talking to a few other r3v members, it was obvious something was wrong. There was no possible way to have the wrong rotor and the pad I ordered was for a 325i, so the pad must be correct. At this point the only thing I could think of was that the caliper isnt correct. How is this possible?!?!

Heres some pics of what I was dealing with:

When you see it... :hitler:
    old_rear_brakes1 by 2mAn

Heres a new pads / old pads side by side comparison:
    pad_comparison by 2mAn

Here the new pad is sitting on top of the old pad, you can see how the old pad is taller, and also at one end its not exactly the same in how it sits on the bracket

wrong4 by 2mAn

Here you see several problems, rusted rotor and how the pad doesnt fit on the bracket at the bottom

wrong2 by 2mAn

Heres the old pad in the bracket, fits the bracket perfectly but is too tall for the rotor

wrong1 by 2mAn

Made a few calls and finally JMP saved the day (again) and I was able to pick up a set of used rear calipers and brackets. We compared the brackets and mine definitely sat the pad up a little higher. Im just guessing but I think a previous owner installed E28 rear calipers and brackets thinking its "good enough" but what was happening was that now that the pads had about 20% left the overhang of the pads that wasnt getting in contact with the rotor were actually contacting each other so the rear brakes were barely functioning, if at all... Scary shit.

I was too eager to drive and be done with it to take pics when we finished, but we bled the brakes and its all good now. Luckily, its all fixed (5 hours later!) and the car feels like it stops on a dime! Thats good because Im taking the car to the Streets of Willow Springs next Saturday.

Anyone want a pair of (I think) E28 rear brakes?
    Last edited by 2mAn; 07-29-2017, 11:42 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

e28? are you sure?

interesting that those bolt up. wonder if that could be a easy slightly-bigger-brake kit if you get the correct rotor for it..
      cars beep boop

Comment

That's pretty impressive. I've seen some dumb brake stuff on cars over the years but that's a new one.

As for E28 brakes on an E30 for "big brakes" I don't think that would be worth the effort even if one was fast enough on the track to need bigger rear brakes.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 3-17

Comment

Lol your rear brakes were probably not even working, which is why the rust didn't clear up

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            e28? are you sure?

interesting that those bolt up. wonder if that could be a easy slightly-bigger-brake kit if you get the correct rotor for it..
            I have no idea what they are, any tips on how I can figure this out???

Originally posted by varg View Post
            That's pretty impressive. I've seen some dumb brake stuff on cars over the years but that's a new one.

As for E28 brakes on an E30 for "big brakes" I don't think that would be worth the effort even if one was fast enough on the track to need bigger rear brakes.
            Yea it was a head scratcher for sure. They arent going back on, but I would like to get another set of rear calipers to rebuild, I already have a front set that I will be rebuilding.

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
            Lol your rear brakes were probably not even working, which is why the rust didn't clear up
            Yea, I think once the pads were contacting each other I no longer had rear brakes, or at least the rear right... though the rear driverside didnt look so hot either, but the caliper was clean.

Today I joined a few other members and after a brief supercar sunday thing we went driving on mulholland and I definitely got a chance to test the brakes. They are definitely working now. Rear right caliper is clean now
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

+1 for the PO loll

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Simon, Do you need rear Calipers? I have a set off of my 91' parts car if needed.

You know how to reach me baby boo
                -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
                  +1 for the PO loll
                  Seriously, I know it wasn't red46, who was the guy I bought the car from, maybe the PPO
                  Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                  Simon, Do you need rear Calipers? I have a set off of my 91' parts car if needed.

You know how to reach me baby boo
                  For sure :up:

Was procrastinating on homework and decided I wanted to get this shift boot on the car. Needed to glue it to the shift frame so thank God that I had a ton of these clips. I'll probably install it this Friday as I do my final minor prep for the Alfa clubs HPDE on Saturday. I'm excited

I'll post an after shot of everything once it's installed. Can't wait to go push this thing on the streets of willow springs
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Was browsing the web last night and remembered that when we went on our drive on sunday there was a photographer setup on one of the corners, so I went on a search. I found the pics from Sunday and then found our cars. He got a pretty good shot of my car so I figured, might as well toss a few $$ his way to buy a digital copy of the pic without the watermarks. Cars looking pretty fly if I say so myself.

_D8C7651-(ZF-6041-14057-1-001) by Simon Tuman, on Flickr

In other news, I installed the shift boots and they look good. Didnt take a pic today, maybe tomorrow, who knows. I did spray a few more coats of white paint and made the arrangements to get the bar welded in next month. In the immediate future, I am very excited for tomorrows HPDE at the Streets of Willow Springs with the Alfa club. My helmet arrived today and it fit, so Im a happy camper. Everything is looking good on the car, no sketchy things to keep me off the track. New tires, new brakes, everything functions as it should so I am looking forward to a fun day. I will have some more pics tomorow
                    Last edited by 2mAn; 11-22-2016, 11:01 AM. Reason: proof read Simon! sheesh...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Lovin the LTW style decals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                      Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
                      1967 2002 parts car
                      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Was browsing the web last night and reemmber that when we went on our drive on sunday there was a photographer setup on one of the corners, so I went on a search and found the pics from Sunday and found our cars. He got a pretty good shot of my car so I figured, might as well toss a few $$ his way to buy a digital copy of the pic without the watermarks. Cars looking pretty fly if I say so myself.

In other news, I installed the shift boots and they look good. Didnt take a pic today, maybe tomorrow, who knows. I did spray a few more coats of white paint and made the arrangements to get the bar welded in next month. In the immediate future, I am very excited for tomorrows HPDE at the Streets of Willow Springs with the Alfa club. My helmet arrived today and it fit so Im a happy camper. Everything is looking good on the car, no sketchy things to keep me off the track. New tires, new brakes, everything functions as it should so I am looking forward to a fun day. I will have some more pics tomorow

Good luck tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Less brakes = go faster! lol PO knew you were going to track the car and was helping you out hehe.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:
                          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by JeLani View Post
                            Lovin the LTW style decals!
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            Good luck tomorrow!
                            thanks guys :up:

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                            Less brakes = go faster! lol PO knew you were going to track the car and was helping you out hehe.
                            :rippedoff:

Today was a BLAST! Chasing a NSX up the hill and him not being able to pull away from me was the highlight of my day. It was a different story when we hit the turns, but Im ok with that right now. I seriously had so much fun, I cant wait to do it again.

Had to capture some pics in front of some iconic stuff
                            willow1 by 2mAn

willow2 by 2mAn

Also got the majority of the BMWs in this pic. The Bronzit E30 next to the Red Miata in the back is Gilles' Miata & his girlfriend, the French guy from the SoCal Vintage drive & BBQ a few weeks ago. So cool to see them again. Hopefully they will be more active in these parts, we'll see...

willow3 by 2mAn

I love this plate, its a shame that I cant use this unless Im "off-road"

willow4 by 2mAn

Parked up with my buddy and his wife, we all hit the track today. He was having almost too much fun in that monster, and her diesel was actually pretty good too

willow5 by 2mAn
                            Last edited by 2mAn; 07-29-2017, 11:46 AM. Reason: fuck photobucket
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

So jealous. Looks like fun. I'm strongly considering December 3rd streets of willow with speed ventures. Color you interested?
                              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                So jealous. Looks like fun. I'm strongly considering December 3rd streets of willow with speed ventures. Color you interested?
                                You should definitely do it, but I'm out. I'm shooting for a big willow event in February as the next track day, with the roll bar and harness installed. Maybe the front Konis too. December is all about getting the bar in...

Streets of willow is a blast with a 24v E30

Here's a few more pics my friends wife took, he has some pics too and a few videos that I need to get my hands on

I was loving this turn, power sliding into 3rd going up the hill

2800fun indeed.
                                Last edited by 2mAn; 11-13-2016, 09:21 AM.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X