No announcement yet.

Porsche 911 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overall amazing project, I have to say though, Fabricating your own spark distribution system = 1 blown mind. Amazing stuff there.

great work, the car will be amazing!
    Originally Posted by ACMF74
    i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

wow, subbed. keep the updates coming! those carbs look unreal. I want to hear some induction sound when you get it running...post some Videos!

Comment

Made some small progress.

The odo was inoperative so i took the speedo apart and replaced the bad gear. It's the dark colored one in the first pic. Took the opportunity to polish the lens and generally clean and inspect everything in there.

I zeroed the odo because i wanted to and the mileage is unknown (even on the title).I feel like the car is starting a new life now anyway.

The main oil feed line to the oil cooler was really crimped flat from improper jacking, the line that's wet with oil . It's a common problem on these cars.

There are several spots but this one is the worst.

I came up with a brilliant idea to save the oil line. Mostly because it's a $500+ piece of tubing from porsche! I ordered some steel ball bearings a little smaller than the ID of the tubing and drilled a hole through one. I put a cable through it and welded a nut on it so i could pull the ball through the line like a mandrel and gently open the line back up.

So far, so good. I inserted the cable through the line and clamped it in the vice so if i pulled on the oil line, the ball would be forced up the line. I tried it cold at first and it didn't work but i didn't really think it would.

Next, i heated the deformed area up to around 400 degrees and pulled on the line again. It moved this time! But...

EPIC FAIL! !

The line totally shattered and let a bunch of nasty, stinky burnt oil vapors out and stunk the whole house up.

Emailed Steve at Blunttech to see if he could pull porsche parts out of his hat like he does with bmw parts. 20 minutes later there is a new line on the way to be delivered tomorrow (thats ONE day) for a price so good i'm pretty sure it's stolen. Oh, this part is like 7 feet long as well. Promptly ordered some more parts from him to make a set of plug wires. If you don't know about Blunttech check it out, you will not be disappointed.

Kinda glad i'm getting a new line in the end.

I couldn't find any 5mm crush washers for my new sync ports in my intake manifolds so i made some out of an old aluminum cookie sheet.

Finished. Simichrome tube to show scale.

Last edited by LJ851; 02-07-2013, 09:06 PM.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Subscribed. This is looking epic.

Comment

My new oil line from Blunttech showed up just like Steve said it would. 23 hours from the order til i was installing it.

Installed with 2 more new oil lines.

This is the engine harness off the 3.0 engine. It is in pretty sad shape and has a lot of extra crap i dont need on it (CIS injection). I eventually will make a whole new harness for the engine bay but i am trying to stay focused on getting this thing back on the road so i will repair, strip down, and tidy up this harness for now.

Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Harness stripped down to only what i need. The pile to the side is what i removed.

Installed new rubber seals all around the engine bay.

Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

keep it up. love these cars

Comment

Just posting to subscribe myself.

Great work man, I appreciate the ingenuity.

Comment

This thread is my new favorite. Excellent work!!

J

Comment

this thread makes me want to sell the m3

Comment

Great work, I'd love to start working on the flat six's. I work at Elephant Racing, if you haven't heard of us, we got some good stuff, what do you plan on doing for suspension? Torsion bars or coil overs? I build the parts/coilover and we have some nice stuff, things to check out, Polybronze, Finned Oil Lines, we even have a GT3 front suspension for older 911's.
                        (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
                        1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

this is a fantastic thread. I love all the little custom fabrication. You are a true gear-head and enthusiast!
                          95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                          Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                          LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Appreciate all the comments. Should have some more pics soon, my goal is to be driving in a couple weeks from now.

Originally posted by 88SuperETABD View Post
                            Great work, I'd love to start working on the flat six's. I work at Elephant Racing, if you haven't heard of us, we got some good stuff, what do you plan on doing for suspension? Torsion bars or coil overs? I build the parts/coilover and we have some nice stuff, things to check out, Polybronze, Finned Oil Lines, we even have a GT3 front suspension for older 911's.

I am certainly familiar with ER. Very nice products and if i wasn't on the other side of the country would have prob bought an ER finned oil line to replace mine.

I have not decided on suspension components yet, the car has fresh bilstein shocks/inserts and bilstein front struts with the rest original at the moment.

I actually have ER 22/29 torsion bars on the shelf and poly bronze bushes are tempting.

I am going to run the car pretty low so i will need to do some work to keep suspension travel and bump steer in check.

I'll send you a PM.
                            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Damn lorin!
                              Yours truly,
                              Rich
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Rigmaster
                              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by 88SuperETABD View Post
                                Nice! We've got your suspension on our shop's track 911sc.

Shameless plug: Foreign Affairs track car.
                                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                                X