318 reborn into e30 335

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318 reborn into e30 335

Never really done a build thread before on a project of this scope. I am a little late on getting this thread started, and it will be missing a lot of pictures of the progress that has already happened, but I would like to log the evolution of the car.

I have never had a project car before, and have several friends who love their e30's, so I started looking for one.I found this "gem" on craigslist. A 1991 diamondschwartz sedan. The exterior was pretty rough, but the tan cloth interior was in decent shape, minus the dash. M42 mated to a 5 speed, started up fine, and went through the gears. I figured why not, and handed the guy $900 bucks.

He said the car would over heat after a while, and thought it might need a new head gasket. At the time, I didn't realize that these things crack like glass when they get hot.

I drove it about halfway home (~30min) before I noticed it was pretty hot. Pulled over in downtown Atlanta and let it cool down. After it was cooled off, drove it all the way home. On this trip, I realized that EVERYTHING in the front end needed replacing. Shocks were non-existant, and every bump in the road sent the front end wandering all over the road. It was a little unsettling at 70mph to have 20 degrees of steering play in a front end that was barely attached.

When I got it home, I pretty much immediately tore into the motor. I was a little confused by the god awful coolant lines and vacuum lines. I was then even more confused by the head gasket. Head gasket looked new, a thorough look over the head revealed a heathy crack in it. Damn.

Here is the 318 in the garage with my roommates. I was pulling out all of the interior because it smelled like ass. The carpet was filthy, but a few hours with a steam cleaner fixed that.

I searched for a head and a motor and was coming up empty, so I decided to take care of the shitbox front end. The little 318i received new control arms, m3 offset CAB's, bilstein sport front shocks, h&r race springs, and an e36 steering rack. It took me a little while to get it all in, but it wasn't difficult, nor really that expensive.

After I got all that in, I picked up an m42 for 200 bucks, dropped it in, and started playing with the car a bit. I couldnt really get into the 4cyl. It is kinda buzzy, sounds weird, and is terribly under powered. I did find out though, that someone had dropped in a 410 LSD. So that make the car fun to slide.

Annoyingly, a pretty serious oil leak, and a shot CSB kept me from driving the car for a while, and I still hated the way the car looked.

My dad has been in the auto refinish industry my whole life. My parents had a date set to move across the country, so I bit the bullet and put two weeks of ass busting into painting the car with his help before he moved. So at this stage, I have a better looking car that sits in the garage.

I toyed with the idea of turbocharging the m42, and fixing all of its other problems. I tallied up all I would need and even started collecting parts.

Thats when I discovered the m30, and scrapped that idea completely. I spent the next 8 months turning any and all spare cash into parts to get the m30b35 I had bought, ready for my 318. It was a painfully long process, but I lucked out on some awesome parts along the way.

not done yet...
    Last edited by chance; 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM.
    1991 335is in progress

Finally, as of a few weeks ago, I ordered the final parts that I needed to get the swap underway: Otis's m30 swap mounts. This was timed perfectly with spring break to give me a week off school to try to get the motor in.

The first weekend of the break, I was able to pull off the hood, fenders, bumper, etc and pull the m42 out. I then spent a day cleaning up the bay, removing unnecessary brackets, and repainting it. I was about to drop in the motor when I found out that my friends e30 had a tree fall on it, and he was looking to get rid of some parts. He had just gone through all the bushings in the rear, camber/toe correction, new brakes, wheel bearings, stainless lines, axles, the works. So I bought it all off him, including a 3.25 lsd, and spent two days swapping all the parts between our cars. While I wasnt going to do the bushings till after the car was driving, I couldnt pass on this deal.

Here is his car now
    Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

So finally I got everything in the rear end installed, and could focus on the motor again. The m30 is a damn tight fit in the bay! It took quite a bit of encouragement to get it in the bay, and a lot more to get it in the rearmost position on the mounts. Liberal application of a hammer was applied to the firewall, and I was able to move the motor rearward.

Now I am in the process of making the trans brace. I swung by UUC today and met Rob. Hes an awesome guy, gut me hooked up with an EVO3 SSK and their isolated trans mounts.

I also dropped my driveshaft off to be shortened. It was a deal at 40 bucks. I will be picking it up tomorrow.

Heres some pics from the spring break overhaul. Unfortunately, I didnt take any of the subframe swap.

This picture was taken in the forwardmost engine position. Wayyy to close for comfort.
    Last edited by chance; 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM.
    1991 335is in progress

Comment

Looks like a Subaru color with that gold flake, looking good! Nice progress.

Project log -- DIRTY 30

2.7i * Megasquirt tuned * E85 powered

Comment

Originally posted by Cronopoulos View Post
        Looks like a Subaru color with that gold flake, looking good! Nice progress.
        Thanks!
        I bought the car a year ago, so its been a while in the making. I have barely even driven it for various reasons :( I cant wait till I get this swap done and have a solid car.
        1991 335is in progress

Comment

Here is the UUC EVO3 short shifter, and the black poly isolated trans mounts.

The shifter is pictured next to the very tired stock e28, presumably original from 1985.

The trans mounts are pictured next to the UUC race bolt through mounts that I picked up a while back. There was a hilarious increase in NVH with the red ones with the naturally buzzy m42. I am hoping that the UUC isolated trans mounts matched with the blue isolated revshift motor mounts, will help keep the NVH down.

Pic time.

The trans mounts seem to be made well, but good god that EVO3 exudes quality. I cant wait to start banging gears with it.

I am getting stoked, this car is going to be a completely different animal than the last time I drove it. The whole rear end and braking system will be nice and tight, and the m30, well, its going to be gods engine in gods chariot according to the general opinion on r3v haha
          1991 335is in progress

Comment

Wow! Nice job on respraing that car! Props

Comment

^Thanks man. The color turned out different than I was expecting. I was going for a diamondschwartz with more metallic, which I did get, but in some light, it reflects gold instead of silver. weird.

Anyway, I cut up my shifter after class this morning, and will be making sure its the right length and welding it tonight.

1991 335is in progress

Comment

Which trans are you using? I have pretty much the exact same parts right down to the shifter, how much did you have to shorten it? lmk once you get it done, as I'm about to do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by navytapaul View Post
                  Which trans are you using? I have pretty much the exact same parts right down to the shifter, how much did you have to shorten it? lmk once you get it done, as I'm about to do the same thing.
                  I have a getrag 265 out of a 1985 535i. When the motor was on the forward position of Otis's mounts, the shifter was exactly where it needed to be. The two positions are an inch apart on his mounts, so I cut the shifter an inch. We will see how it lines up tonight. If it is where I want, then I will be making a DSSR so I can fully appreciate that awesome shifter.
                  1991 335is in progress

Comment

We have the exact same setup lol. Just got Otis's mounts too and am using pos. 2 as well. I don't have a dssr but got a z3 shifter instead. At least you don't have a square c101 like i do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Sorry if you mentioned it but...

Are those Integra LS mesh wheels? lol I always wondered what they'd look like on an E30 with the FWD offset.
                      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                      Originally posted by mbonanni
                      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

We have the exact same setup lol. Just got Otis's mounts too and am using pos. 2 as well. I don't have a dssr but got a z3 shifter instead. At least you don't have a square c101 like i do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                        Nice! I have the metal shifter console with my g265, so the z3 i had doesnt work. Does yours have the aluminum shifter console/carrier thing?

The round C101 definitely made things easier. Only a handful of wires actually needed to be jumped in the jumper harness. A good number of them matched up. Is your e30 a 318 or 325?

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                        Sorry if you mentioned it but...

Are those Integra LS mesh wheels? lol I always wondered what they'd look like on an E30 with the FWD offset.
                        Yes they are. I have caught some shit from people for putting them on, but since I payed like 60 bucks for them with used tires, I am ok with it. They are on rather large spacers BTW. They would look massively sunk in without the spacers.
                        1991 335is in progress

Comment

well crap, guess I won't be using the z3 shifter after all since I have the plate style as well. I have an 84 eta that was an auto. I'm doing the whole auto to manual/m30 swap all in one go. I have everything except the rad and coolant hoses and the late model reservoir. I'll hold on to it if I find the other style carrier at the yard, but for now it's e28 shifter.

Comment

well crap, guess I won't be using the z3 shifter after all since I have the plate style as well. I have an 84 eta that was an auto. I'm doing the whole auto to manual/m30 swap all in one go. I have everything except the rad and coolant hoses and the late model reservoir. I'll hold on to it if I find the other style carrier at the yard, but for now it's e28 shifter.
                            I don't think there is any way to adapt the aluminum carrier to the sheet metal carrier trans, butt I could be wrong. You could always just get a short shifter for the metal plate
                            1991 335is in progress

Comment

I'll try that, I saw a guy on e30zone who used the m3 adapter. How did you attach the passenger side engine mount? I'm not sure if I lost some bolts or need to go buy some.

Comment

Working...
                              X