Originally posted by kronus View Post
    updates! surprisingly!

painted tank

Bruh where's the hole for the fuel pump carrier

Comment

it's taped up
      cars beep boop

Comment

sorry for off topic.. I know you can swap in m3 hubs in the rear pretty easily, but what's the story on the front? it's alot more involved than that right? full strut swap? also m3 front wheels have a wider track than normal e30. then there's the wider track on the IX... Maybe going 5 lug m3 on an IX isn't as hard.

i have a headache now.
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          sorry for off topic.. I know you can swap in m3 hubs in the rear pretty easily, but what's the story on the front? it's alot more involved than that right? full strut swap? also m3 front wheels have a wider track than normal e30. then there's the wider track on the IX... Maybe going 5 lug m3 on an IX isn't as hard.

i have a headache now.

I think most do m3 hubs in the rear and the. Either swap to m3 struts up front or go to the e36 front suspension

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post

i have a headache now.
            What exactly are you trying to do? 5lug ix conversion?

Comment

that's exactly my question. and a poor man's bbk of course. anyway don't want to pollute the thread. just thinking here.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

For the front I am using max399's hub sleeves, e36 bearings, e46 328i rotors and calipers. E30 m3 stuff is too expensive, e36 stuff has geometry issues, and e46 m3 stuff does not fit over 16" wheels.
                cars beep boop

Comment

THAT's what I wanted to know, plus IX specific info thanks Kronus.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

M3 wheels have a wider track to fill the wider fenders.

There was an option in development to use e28 strut housings, but it required a totally custom lower bracket and I don't think the guy ever got too far designing it. Sleeves are easier and far cheaper to machine.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Also, most don't do e30 m3 hubs in the rear, they use e36 to stuff but that results in a wider track that requires e36-offset wheels to work right. Z4 hubs have a similar issue.

E30 and ti trailing arms are identical afaik, but e30 m3 hubs are narrower and require different caliper carrier brackets. Ti ones are modifiable to work with e30 m3 brake rotors, but it's a pain and kinda sketchy. I lucked into a set of carrier brackets off blunt's m3 so I went with e30 stuff in the rear.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

I am working on getting the wiring sorted. For posterity, here's the pinouts of a early square C101, a late round C101, and a '95 X20:

and here's the transformations needed to adapt an early body plug to a S50 harness

I would adapt the body to a male X20, but the amount of pins that would go unused bothers me, so sticking to a C101. new pins are on their way from BMW, and a DIY on packing an S50 harness into an M42 harness housing will be forthcoming.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Yesterday I pushed the 5-lug M3 hubs into the trailing arms. It was straightforward, and ultimately not significantly more expensive than 318ti arms would be.

bearing going in

yup it's in

hubba hubba

done!

I can't put on the brakes yet because the e-brake cables are still on the car and I'm not sure if I want to remove them.

next up, getting the old ass end out of there!
                          cars beep boop

Comment

soo, bad news (sorry 2mAn)

I took the S50 apart further and had a good look at the cylinder bores. It has deep scoring down 3 of the bores, and most of the pistons have valve contact. The valve contact is not a huge deal breaker (they're mostly intact, ring lands don't look crushed), but the bore scoring is deep enough to require an overbore.

I'm thinking to overbore to S52 specs and find an S52 crank and pistons. Sadly this expands the timeframe of the car's completion by a lot.

Anyone have an S52 rotating assembly hanging around?
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              soo, bad news (sorry 2mAn)

I took the S50 apart further and had a good look at the cylinder bores. It has deep scoring down 3 of the bores, and most of the pistons have valve contact. The valve contact is not a huge deal breaker (they're mostly intact, ring lands don't look crushed), but the bore scoring is deep enough to require an overbore.

I'm thinking to overbore to S52 specs and find an S52 crank and pistons. Sadly this expands the timeframe of the car's completion by a lot.

Anyone have an S52 rotating assembly hanging around?

Why not sleeve those three cylinders?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

ugh.... this sucks.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X