No announcement yet.

6/83 grey market 323i.. mtech I S50 5-lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

323i is like e30 gemstones pretty expensive and rarely go up for sale. I had a 84 323i Baur, the car is still in the family but everytime I see it the heart hurts.
    Great Stuff Kronus progress is progress even if it takes 8 months to paint a subframe lol

Comment

ah crap I'm doing stuff now I guess

cars beep boop

Comment

wait. you didnt paint the engine bay first?.... WTF

Im just kidding, Im excited for any progress and this is definitely progress!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So I tried to get the 262 dogleg I have sitting around onto this motor. Turns out that it doesn't actually fit over the 240mm-sized pressure plate assembly, so, well, that was all for shit.

however, thanks to wworm and also the internet, I've now placed the following parts near the car:
          - ZF310
          - E36 328i driveshaft
          - E36 radiator
          - new rad hoses
          - a variety of other rubber stuff
          - treehouse CABs with new delrin sleeves
          - NIB axles
          - the repackaged OBD1 harness I made a while back
          - the old 3.25 motorsport diff out of my mcoupe

maybe progress this weekend?
          cars beep boop

Comment

lol, "place the following parts near the car"

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              lol, "place the following parts near the car"
              can confirm, about tripped over them the other day
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Feels. My parts pile is bigger than the car itself.

Comment

ok check it out. car went up.

tossed some studs and a spacer kit at my old mcoupe diff

also swapped the output shafts out for E30 units, which are noticeably smaller

launched it into the hole

also the ZF310 went in

so, now I'm figuring out the fuel tank situation. This car came with a early tank without a lift pump at all, so the wiring and vent situation is completely different than the late-model tank I have waiting to go in. That blocks the driveshaft from going in, which blocks a bunch of other stuff from happening.

Here's the top of my late model fuel pump.

Clockwise from noon:

fuel send
                  vent
                  fuel pump connector
                  fuel return
                  level sensor connector
                  other vent?

This tank has a second level sensor as well. From the diagrams, it seems that the level sensors are wired in series.
                  cars beep boop

Comment

Heard you got a cool muffler too... what car is it going on?
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

that one's going on the ix

I don't know what I'm going to do for exhaust on this car yet.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        ok check it out. car went up.

tossed some studs and a spacer kit at my old mcoupe diff

also swapped the output shafts out for E30 units, which are noticeably smaller

launched it into the hole

also the ZF310 went in

so, now I'm figuring out the fuel tank situation. This car came with a early tank without a lift pump at all, so the wiring and vent situation is completely different than the late-model tank I have waiting to go in. That blocks the driveshaft from going in, which blocks a bunch of other stuff from happening.

Here's the top of my late model fuel pump.

Clockwise from noon:

fuel send
                        vent
                        fuel pump connector
                        fuel return
                        level sensor connector
                        other vent?

This tank has a second level sensor as well. From the diagrams, it seems that the level sensors are wired in series.
                        You and I are pretty much at the same point, on the same car. BTW, that pump is an early style lift pump holder with the additional tube for fuel return. It's my understanding, the later setup has the return on the tank so the pump holder only has one tube. Just run the early style tank and you won't have to deal with having to change your gas gauge to the later style due to the dual senders, etc.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          You and I are pretty much at the same point, on the same car. BTW, that pump is an early style lift pump holder with the additional tube for fuel return. It's my understanding, the later setup has the return on the tank so the pump holder only has one tube. Just run the early style tank and you won't have to deal with having to change your gas gauge to the later style due to the dual senders, etc.

he didn't believe me when I pointed that out
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

On my tank the 5/16" metal hard line on the tank is the fuel supply, connects to filter on one side and the small nipple on the carrier on the other.
                            There was another separate much smaller 1/4" hard line that is the drain for the expansion tank.
                            Theres also a plastic hardline that runs across the fuel tank that provides vacuum from the engine, runs up to expansion tank.

So total there are 3 lines that run up to the expansion tank, 1/2" large vent and 2 very small 1/8" plastic hardlines.
                            It was a pain right in the dick to get all 3 through the hole in the fender. Good luck

FYI theres a fuel pump carrier from a 318is with a send and return in 5/16" size, makes it way easier to get the return working. Then again it's also way easier to just use a late model tank with the siphon return. I went that route.

Comment

Semi-Annual Bump
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

i put the hood on
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X