No announcement yet.

6/83 grey market 323i.. mtech I S50 5-lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the rear coilovers installed like that?

Glad you used that S52 crank
    Much wow
    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
      Why are the rear coilovers installed like that?

Glad you used that S52 crank
      the adjusters are easier to get to like that, IMO

speaking of the S52 crank..

got my block back

taped it up and primed it

found the only can of engine enamel we had left in the shop

tossed the mains and crank in to plastigage it

all good :)

couldn't resist setting up a The Reassembler style shot for the bottom end

then I got the whole bottom end together but forgot to take a photo because it was late. womp womp.

waiting for a chain guide, then the build continues.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Motor guts!
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I like this.
          My Feedback

Comment

Are you finally using the S52 manifolds?

I need to make an appt with the BAR sometime soon
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Are you finally using the S52 manifolds?
              yup. hoping the smog guy doesn't think anything of it, but we'll see how well that will go. I have a set of cast manifolds as well, in case these are not acceptable.

Still working out what I will do for exhaust. I've got a OBD2 center section on hand that I can trade out for an OBD1, but the rest of the exhaust will need to be fabricated. I've been idly looking for a B&B muffler, since I like their sound the most.
              cars beep boop

Comment

Shiny orange update!

Bottom end all together.

Shiny new Mahle pistons in their shiny new homes

Applied some Hylomar sealant to the timing cover seams and water pump hole.

New HG goes on... It's a VR. Am aware of all the bad stuff that's been said about them. Could not get my hands on an elring so this will do. One has been holding up in my m50 car without trouble.

finally, head is on and torqued with new bolts.

Tomorrow, cams, vanos, and a blingy surprise.
                cars beep boop

Comment

Nice!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                  --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

cam trays went in, a few days later..

cams followed. these are M52 cams reground to S52 specs, in S50 trays. Weirdly, despite everything I've heard about OBD2 cams not fitting into OBD1 trays, these do.

started putting together the vanos timing stuff..

and snap!

in retrospect, I should have gotten new ones of these anyway, so I'm glad it was weak enough to go right away during torquing and not while the engine was running. Now I have $130 of random small bolts on their way to me in the next few days before I can continue.

in the meantime, I sandblasted the magnesium valve cover and am making preparations to paint it. Annoying orange?

and the aforementioned bling: a Economotorsports oil cooler sandwich plate, lines and cooler made their way to me. This will let me run real temperature and pressure gauges as well as not worrying about temps as much.

cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      in the meantime, I sandblasted the magnesium valve cover and am making preparations to paint it. Annoying orange?

and the aforementioned bling: a Economotorsports oil cooler sandwich plate, lines and cooler made their way to me. This will let me run real temperature and pressure gauges as well as not worrying about temps as much.

Might as well since the block is that color, I dont think there is any other color that goes well with orange without it looking like a halloween car.

How much was that sexy oil cooler sandwich plate?!? I need to get me one.

Thanks for buying me more time, Im about to try one final time with the BAR before I say fig it and go fuhraze
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I picked it up used from a friend's blown up racecar. You can get new ones from Gutenparts for 300ish IIRC.

Annoying orange it is!
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          I picked it up used from a friend's blown up racecar. You can get new ones from Gutenparts for 300ish IIRC.
                          Its a pretty sexy piece, wow. It has all the upgrades Im looking to add, all in one. I was originally looking at the S54 or even the MZ3 oil filter housing to keep it OEM, but this looks better.

What oil cooler are you going to use?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

the one that came with my plate! I think it is this one

and yeah, this is a pretty sweet solution. one downside to it is that there's no oil thermostat. I'll be monitoring temps..
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Does the sandwich plate have an oil thermostat, or would you be adding one in?

S54/Z3/S50Euro ones all have a thermostat on the cooler circuit that doesn't open (much) until ~180-190F. My oil cooler is totally cold to the touch below that temp.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

your cooler is totally cold because there's no oil going through it below that temp, yes.

this one doesn't have a thermostat. If I see the oil not really getting up to temp, I can plumb in one of these
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X