84 318i to 340i - The Slow Slow Transformation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 318i to 340i - The Slow Slow Transformation

I’ve finally made some progress, so I figured it was time to make a build thread for my $450 84 318i’s transformation.

For the record, my plan of attack is interior, suspension, engine, then paint.

It started life as an abused 1984 318i two door, Baltic Blau with tan comfort interior sporting roll up windows, no check panel, and an almighty m10 backed by a 5 speed and ?3.64? LSD differential.

Upon my receipt of it, 29 years had taken its toll. It was only $450, so I couldn’t expect too much, but it ran and drove with a blown headgasket; but much love was needed.

Not even 24hrs after taking ownership, the head was off, cleaned up, and slapped back on with a new gasket in hopes it would last long enough until the engine swap. Amazingly, it started up after my two hour head gasket job (first time messing with an m10), and has been reliably running since, though not yet tagged.

Since then, she’s been in waiting, starting and idling mostly. Suspension is in a bad state as was the interior…but…slowly but surely…eventually leaving me with an m60 swapped e30. Don’t try and talk me out of it, a v8 e30 is my dream. It will happen come Hell or high water, which is bound to happen, but still this car will be completed-ish.

That being said; onto the progress…mostly stemming from junkyard parts. I am a college kid after all making all the dough working part time at Auto Zone. So bear with me on this build.

Any who, not even a week into owning the car I made a pretty large score at the junkyard. Something that brought a tear to my eye but was a great donor was a Bronzit 1982 323i. Having been long since swapped of its original 2.3L, the drive train left nothing special, but all the euro parts came home with me.
    Euro Bumpers/Valance
    ONE Euro Grille :/
    Federalized Euro Cluster
    German Check Panel (Mine doesn’t have one but I’m keeping it anyway)
    BMW Radar Detector
    Rear Headrests
    Fog/Rear Fog Switch
    Taillight Circuit Panels
    Larger ?Euro Toolkit
    Black Door Pulls (my tan ones were yellow)

I think that’s all I raped off of it. But all of that (minus the check panel) came home and went right on my 318i allowing me to ditch the diving boards. Total Cost - $115. 

About two weeks later, I scored a set of Ground Control Coilovers and a Racing Dynamics adjustable front sway bar. Total Cost - $40.

The suspension stuff has been in waiting for me to collect additional components. I picked up a set of Bilstein Sport struts for a good price in very good shape. I know they’re not optimal, but they’ll work for now. Suspension should be going on not long after the New Year.

Then, just two weeks ago I scored a lighted mirror and US Ellipsoids from another junkyard. Total Cost there - $65.

As far as the interior goes, I’ve picked up a very nice dash out of a vert in the junkyard, a nice set of sport seats off Craigslist, and a RHD radio panel from here. Also she is now sporting an Mtech1 Wheel thanks to tonerrr here on r3v.

During the dash install, I had to install a steering column for reasons relating directly to my stupidity. But mine bolts in with standard bolts now, so, I suppose that’s an upgrade. With the dash install, once again, thank you tonerrr for the huge help!

Anyhow, that about leaves me where I’ve left off for now. Pics of all the above stated progress will be posted below. Hope I didn’t bore anyone too badly.

Keep checking back occasionally for random little updates. Soon as the suspension is revamped and the coilovers are on (stock bottle caps for now), I will finally be tagging it since it qualifies for historic in 2014 and I’ll be driving it until all the swap parts are collected…so random pictures will ensue.

Anyway…I’m done for now…onto the pictures. I apologize in advance for some of them being taken with what looks like what must have been a prehistoric toaster.

When I was looking at it.

Interior needs some serious love. The comfort seats were leaving hair in the carpet.

The powerhouse.

Home.

Euro Bumper install.

Much better.

Last edited by strang3majik; 04-29-2015, 10:12 AM.

Sorry for the delay. Didn't realize the site went down for maintenance every night.

Last edited by strang3majik; 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Then here's some pictures following my interior cleanup and dash/sport seat/lighted mirror/mtech1/etc swap. I still need carpet and kick panels, but otherwise, I consider the interior pretty much done. I'd like to change some things with the cluster like the rings, maybe pickup a set of faces to change the clocking of scale, but for now its fine. And best of all...since it was a federalized cluster, it only shows 30k miles! Lol.

Stereo for now is a Kenwood headunit with Premium rear speakers and Pioneer up front with all new 16ga speaker wiring (since the original was hacked).

And then my struts (not sure if I should shorten them or not)? I don't want crazy low, just lowered to minimize wheel gap. But I plan on running a 16x8 with a decent tire on it.

Comment

That's where I'm at for now. Just picked up a remote booster setup off of a 740i, so slowly collecting swap parts.

My engine plan is an M60b44, mismatching parts off of either. I read somewhere about swapping m60 heads on an m62 block to raise compression? Sounds like a nice idea to me.

Idk. But stay tuned! Sorry for my long winded posts.

Comment

great start!!!

Comment

Love it man:) I think all e30 dashes crack in the same spot lol

Comment

Thanks guys. She's getting there little by little. Might have a line on an m60 so I can start piecing all that together! Will keep you posted.

Comment

Been a long time since I have updated this since I took a different direction at first, and a much better job about 8 months ago has allowed me to do much more. But I finally ended up doing the v8 swap...so, here are some pictures from throughout its transformation. Finally got to drive it this past Saturday, and have been driving it a little more everyday. Getting exhaust on it today as well as installing a Z3M radiator, so, I'll be driving it my 1hr commute to work for the first time tomorrow! Trying to get it done in time for SOWO.

But quick synopsis:

Originally an m10 318i, swapped in a 1997 M52B28, wasn't content with the power, acquired an M62B44 and 6 speed from a guy on the other coast of Florida, tore the top end and front down, every gasket has been replaced, heads resurfaced, all new timing components, every sensor is new (besides the MAF), new dual mass flywheel and clutch, and converted all to OBD1. Hoping to not have to worry about it for a long time.

Also, sold my 42DD adapters and did a 5 lug conversion with e46 m3 front brakes and e46 325 rear brakes with the Wilwood pedal setup.

Anyway...here are some of the pictures. I will fill all the in between pictures as I upload more (some on my phone, some on my camera, some on my other computer, etc). More will be added as I complete it as well!

After coilovers and wheels installed.

Its a lot more buttoned up then it is in this last picture, but...I'll upload those tonight. Haha. I will add some desciption with all of them as well.
                Last edited by strang3majik; 04-29-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Reserved.

Comment

Reserved 2.

Comment

Reserved 3.

Comment

Thats a great combo! I am a big fan of the '84 M10 cars, especially with roll up windows. Its the lightest model. Im guessing with the M60 you are still only around 2500lbs. Quite a combo considering you are probably going to make over 300bhp fairly easily.

Quite the score on the Euro bits, I would just add the Euro clock as it really looks great in there and its a literal bolt in to replace the crappy digital clock.

Keep me posted on the Radiator install because our (the 84s) radiator support is different from all the later models. I think they just sit lower than the others
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Thats a great combo! I am a big fan of the '84 M10 cars, especially with roll up windows. Its the lightest model. Im guessing with the M60 you are still only around 2500lbs. Quite a combo considering you are probably going to make over 300bhp fairly easily.

Quite the score on the Euro bits, I would just add the Euro clock as it really looks great in there and its a literal bolt in to replace the crappy digital clock.

Keep me posted on the Radiator install because our (the 84s) radiator support is different from all the later models. I think they just sit lower than the others
                          Yes! It is quite light, I want to get on a scale so I can see how light it is. Even with the m52 it scooted quite well. But yes, roll down windows, no sound deadening, no anything except for ac and cruise control. Lol!

And yes, that was pure luck. I do have the Euro clock now as well, was definitely a must have and looks far better. Since my car is the base model, I didn't want to do a 13 button as it would kind've be out of place.

And will do! I have an e36 m3 Mishimoto now that I had with the m52 and its inadequate in keeping it cool at idle. During cruise it is okay, but, I need a little more cooling. But yes, the radiator just sits there and is kind've held in by the hoses. Its the top mount that is the problem as the plastic mount isn't large enough. I haven't figured out anything yet to deal with that, but its held pretty tightly.

Will keep you posted though!

Comment

I gotta say that your car just looks fantastic. My first car was a Baltic/Tan coupe and that paint color remains my favorite for the e30. Hope you're keeping the same color! If it were up to me I'd leave that ratty patina as is :razz:

Comment

Originally posted by strang3majik View Post
                              And will do! I have an e36 m3 Mishimoto now that I had with the m52 and its inadequate in keeping it cool at idle. During cruise it is okay, but, I need a little more cooling. But yes, the radiator just sits there and is kind've held in by the hoses. Its the top mount that is the problem as the plastic mount isn't large enough. I haven't figured out anything yet to deal with that, but its held pretty tightly.

Will keep you posted though!
                              You might just want to get a more powerful fan in there if your issue is only during idle.

If you are having cooling issues under heavy load and high speeds, then it's time for a new rad.

Also holy hell, you got a set of GC coils for $40?! what a score!! plus finding a fresh set of euro bumps at the yard? those wouldn't last for a minute in socal.
                              Last edited by thatphysicsguy; 05-18-2015, 07:01 PM.
                              '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                              X