Clear All

I can't imagine how hot it will be under that hood
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
      You said it, but dang it looks good, totally functional in style.
      ^ this. OEM+ ftw
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Good lord that's a full bay.
        Ya. It's going to make working on it a complete PITA, hence why I'm trying to get everything 100% sorted now (as opposed to cutting corners) so that I don't have to fuck with it down the road.
        Originally posted by the imitator View Post
        You said it, but dang it looks good, totally functional in style.
        Thank you! I'm fairly happy with how it's come out. Not 100% happy with the valve cover vent line routing, but I'm not sure how I would improve it. I'm also going to get her up in the air and see whether I can run an air filter that comes straight off the end of the turbo, as opposed to going up and over the IC and then down behind the headlights. This would allow for a more direct route, save come complicated piping, reduce the amount of heat the air picks up on its way to the turbo, and even let me put the high beam back in. If it will fit...
        Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I can't imagine how hot it will be under that hood
        Yes that's one of my primary concerns, hence why I had all the exhaust ceramic coated to keep in the heat. Plus I now have 3 temp gauges so I can keep a close eye on things. If I run in to problems, I'll have to change some stuff up, but for now this is as much as I can do without getting really deep in to custom cooling shit.

Comment

As you once commented to me, it is now my turn to say that you have a very nice looking turbo setup ;) Congrats man!
          1990 325i Touring - The Bonsai Bimmer - Patiently Waiting
          1984 316 Coupe - The Base Model - Pain in the Ass
          1988 750iL - The Daily Driver
          ...And a couple others...

Comment

Real clean bay

Comment

:up:
              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Did one small thing last night. I needed to extend the MAF plug, so I hit the wrecking yard and snipped one out of a 525i.

Cut off the original plug, Peel back the insulation, and solder wires together

Heat shrink individual wires

Then heat shrink the whole thing to finish it up. In total I added about 12" in length and it now reaches the MAF. All that's left is to run it through the wiring harness cover, though that means pulling the intake tube and ICV, so it won't happen till I get back from vacation

Comment

And that's how you do harness work. solid.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

In other news, the shop i was going to have do my exhaust, http://www.r-sportinternational.com, is apparently shutting down in the next month (or at least moving) so they're not taking on any new projects. So there goes my plan to drop the car off for exhaust while I'm on vacation for the next 11 days

I contacted 2 other local shops and gave them descriptions of what I was looking for along with tons-o-pictars. Hopefully one of them says "yes" without also asking me to take out a 2nd mortgage.

Comment

Had a meeting yesterday with a guy who runs a custom exhaust shop out of his home. He's been building headers for over 30 years and still does custom exhausts form Pro3 cars, including Chris Rohm (http://www.rhominnovations.com/). We looked it all over, and actually the front 1/2 (up through the resonator) is in really good shape and probably not worth rebuilding. So that will help save some $, as it's really only the cat-back that needs to be rebuilt. Once the turbo-downpipe exhaust gasket comes in from Germany, we should be good to go. Hopefully I can have it back and ready for a test drive by the 2nd week of June. Cutting it really close to the picnic :drink: :crazy:

Comment

I got quoted 2k for an exhuast on my 325is going to be doing it on my own after getting that quote.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Just for reference.. I had a custom exhaust and downpipe built on my old 318is turbo. absolutely stunning work using the original mounting brackets. $900, I supplied cat, muffler and original hardware.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Welp, I got back from 10 days on vacation and found a large puddle of both ATF (power steering) and oil under the car... Before I left I added oil and ATF in preparation for starting her up once the exhaust was finished. Time to get her up on jackstands and see what is leaking

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              Welp, I got back from 10 days on vacation and found a large puddle of both ATF (power steering) and oil under the car... Before I left I added oil and ATF in preparation for starting her up once the exhaust was finished. Time to get her up on jackstands and see what is leaking

Gonna have to guess you didn't get all your lines tightened up?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                                Would you say it was seeping?

Comment

Working...
                                X