Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the follows guys!

So I have been busy. Didn't manage to finish paint last week, but hopefully tonight is the night for basecoat and clear. I was sad to miss another drive and BBQ this past weekend so I'll be damned if I miss the IE open house on Saturday.

Part of the delay was that I really dislike bodywork, the other part was that my garage tent ripped

That was a little bit frustrating and kinda killed my mood early last week. Regardless, I managed to spray primer. That was also a little frustrating because somehow when I bought the debilbiss HVLP gun kit, I didn't realize what CFM monsters they are. Big gun 12 CFM @ 30psi, little gun 10 CFM @ 30 psi. So needless to say my 2.5 hp HF 11 gallon air compressor couldn't keep up. Last time I used the bigger gun I didn't really notice it because I was spraying the engine bay which is not a lot of heavy spraying like say a hood. I didn't really find a good technique until after I finished spraying it. Figures right? The most prominent, flat, large surface is the one that I did the worst job on :P At least it's easier to sand. After the hood, I would let the air compressor build pressure, spray a short length, let it catch up, spray etc. and that worked very well, especially for the smaller pieces aka everything but the hood.

I bolted up some of the pieces because I thought it'd be easier to wetsand them this way with them firmly mounted. It wasn't really. Made a mess. But the car looked much better in a matte white/grey than I thought it would!

So I put the parts back in the garage and sanded them there. Made another mess. Now I have to clean up two messes. BUT everything is sanded and ready for paint.

And in other news, some cool parts arrived!

Ferodo brake pads - DS2500. Bought on the advice of another member who had the polymatrix E's like I did and hated how loud they were. These should have good cold bite and relatively low noise. We'll see!

This guy I've been waiting to receive for quite a while. It's a custom hand made catch can by a company called saikou michi. 6-7 week lead time but totally worth it. Price is very reasonable as well. Best FUNCTIONAL catch can I have been able to find so far. And that it is totally customizable is very cool. I had it made with two inlets to support boost. One will go to the valve cover, the other will go to one of the big plugs on the front of the vanos assembly - this is kind of an experimental idea, not sure how well it'll work :) The outlet will be plumbed to the exhaust evac and when it comes time to boost, I will be plumbing an e36 SAP pump inline with a hobbs switch to supplement vacuum when the IM sees boost.

And lastly the fittings and hose arrived for the PS system. Very lovely :D

And lastly lastly, some more annoying shit to deal with.... I slapped a few pieces together on Sunday so I could drive the car and take a visiting friend for a ride. One of the zip ties currently holding my radiator broke and when I went over some section of bumpy road in the mountains the radiator bounced off it's plastic seat on the bottom driver side and contacted the PS pump pulley which resulted in a tiny hole in one or two fins. It doesn't even leak when cold. I'm hoping a radiator shop could fix that being that the radiator is only a few weeks old :hitler:

I'll probably throw the koyo back in so I can drive on saturday to the IE open house. Speaking of the koyorad radiator... the warranty claim is still pending :(
    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 09-22-2016, 08:01 AM.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Dammit, you already banged up your MZ3 radiator!! :hitler:

btw Im thinking that you, Glenn & I can meet up and take 101 to The Canada meeting point, I'll text you details
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Dammit, you already banged up your MZ3 radiator!! :hitler:

btw Im thinking that you, Glenn & I can meet up and take 101 to The Canada meeting point, I'll text you details
        yea...... well it was my own damn fault. I've had a 2/3rds finished radiator bracket sitting on my workbench for weeks

I was gonna text you asking about that. Shoot me the details.

I'll be up all night Friday if that's what it takes to finish this in time.
        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

And in other news, some cool parts arrived!

Ferodo brake pads - DS2500. Bought on the advice of another member who had the polymatrix E's like I did and hated how loud they were. These should have good cold bite and relatively low noise. We'll see!
          Not low noise, SILENT!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
            Not low noise, SILENT!
            You are getting me very excited. Even the BP-20s make some noise, though I'd consider it to be "tolerable". Hopefully I'll slap them on tonight along with another quick bleed.
            Shadetree30

Comment

just sent you the details of the drive to your email

its like we dont have to time to go to work to many pending projects on our cars.

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                just sent you the details of the drive to your email

its like we dont have to time to go to work to many pending projects on our cars.
                Thank you sir!

I know.. the summer was quiet then all of a sudden there's an event every weekend for like 2 months. Normally that's good motivation to get things done week by week, but sometimes it backfires when I put too much pressure on myself, come home tired, and opt to read a book, grill some dinner and drink a nice beer :P because that's far more relaxing
                Shadetree30

Comment

So I did work. Or should I say my friend did work :P My partner-in-crime/enabler/consultant all things automotive was offered beer and pizza to lay the paint since he used to work at a bodyshop. He's the man. It all looks pretty damn good for being painted in a glorified tent with an under powered air compressor, a cheap HF paint gun and being attacked by two moths, a fly and a few gnats :D though I think part of the reason it wound up looking so good was because I did not skimp on paint quality $$$

I opted to wait on painting the hood. The primer just wasn't looking good enough. As I mentioned before, I had a lot of trouble when I was first laying primer with the bigger devilbiss gun and the hood was the learning curve. Lots of pinholes that weren't coming out with sanding and some spots with really uneven orange peel. So I plan to prime it again, sand and paint on Sunday (maybe Saturday?)

Shadetree30

Comment

rock the car with no hood tomorrow!

Im getting my gameplan ready for today. Luckily a short day of work and a long list of stuff to do...
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      rock the car with no hood tomorrow!

Im getting my gameplan ready for today. Luckily a short day of work and a long list of stuff to do...
                      Damn straight I'll be there! With all the guts exposed :D At least it's all painted and pretty now! I'm also hoping to paint my euro trim tonight and maybe tack together a proper radiator mount
                      Shadetree30

Comment

Damn straight I'll be there! With all the guts exposed :D At least it's all painted and pretty now! I'm also hoping to paint my euro trim tonight and maybe tack together a proper radiator mount
                        Like "madmax" style or just no hood "hot-rodder" style?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

I hope mad Max style
                          sigpic

Comment

Asking for a ref ticket with no hood

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                              Asking for a ref ticket with no hood
                              For reals?

I've rolled without a hood before a few times, twice on my way to buy a replacemwnt hood, to bimmerfest because I truly ran out of time to reinstall it, and once or twice more. Passed cops they *didnt care*

Now you scare me. You really think thats a serious risk?
                              Shadetree30

Comment

For reals?

I've rolled without a hood before a few times, twice on my way to buy a replacemwnt hood, to bimmerfest because I truly ran out of time to reinstall it, and once or twice more. Passed cops they *didnt care*

Now you scare me. You really think thats a serious risk?
                                You're going to be on a ride with a bunch of modified cars. Are you bar'd? I mean if you're really worried I have a hood you can borrow for the day... Seriously I do.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X