The Malaga Bomber (no rust this time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Malaga Bomber (no rust this time)

It's about time I started a thread for this car.

I picked up this '02 from Carlos at Condor Speed Shop down here in Florida in October 2014. My turbo e30 had just been totalled & I was searching for something new. This popped up and I found it tough to say no. The car is a 1973 malaga 2002 with unknown mileage. The m10 it came with was supposedly “built”; apparently it had cams & some head work.

The car when I bought it had been sitting for a few years. Somebody before Carlos had decided to paint the hood, roof, and trunk with house paint in a poor attempt to stall the spread of some rust. Hopefully I'll get around to refreshing the body later this year.

Next I pulled the old m10. It only took a couple of minutes to get out.

M10 removed:

Next I cleaned the car with a pressure cleaner; I rolled it out of the shop & snapped a few pics.

Of course I had to test fit my old RS's!

And then I decided to widen them a little......so to help them fit I ordered some turbo flares for the car.

After thinking my options over & perusing a few good threads, I decided to drop in my old turbo m20 motor. Before I dropped it in I'd do all new seals/gaskets and refresh it. SO I ordered my parts & once they were on their way I started prepping the motor/chassis.

The wiring harness was an easy enough task. After stripping the body harness of all the old loom I was able to trace the wires back a few feet to see their original color. Using the “6 does go into 2” DIY, I was able to locate the wires that I needed and wire them up to an e30 c101 body harness side plug. Then I ran a few new wires, like the fuel pump +12v wire, and labeled them all.

I ended up using Sin City mounts, which place the motor pretty high up. I had a very tough time getting these to work, and after exchanging many emails with the company I had apparently been sent the wrong mounts, which explained why they didn't work. I was getting tired of waiting around though, so I ended up modifying the subframe to make these work. I had to push the passenger subframe holes out about an inch and then modify the drivers side motor mount.

Said motor mounts:

I decided to mess around and run barrels as lips on my old RS's to see what it would look like on the car

Tons of to-do lists help me stay organized lol

Here's the trans brace I made

Picked up some decent seats. Still need to make brackets for them

Drilled & tapped the compressor housing for a barbed nipple instead of the dumb press in plastic fitting it came with

The transmission tunnel widening made this swap nearly impossible. I realize that not a lot of people run a g260 transmission because it requires a "little bit" of extra hammering, but I didnt realize just how much that was until I got everything in place.

Pre BFH:

The beginning of the trans tunnel surgery

Here's a pic of how high the trans sits in the tunnel

Had to cut out a few rusty spots on the floor board & replace them with some good metal

I ended up drilling the firewall to run the harness thru

Of course I'm gonna need some great bushings to run on this car to support the m20 and keep everything from falling apart........

I test fitted the turbo flares to motivate me to finish the swap lol

Then comes the wheels...........

Transformed my old barrels into lips with the help of some friends at Spintech

Rear:

Front:

While the motor wasn't in the car I figured it would be a good idea to refresh all the seals & rotating parts on the driveline. So I installed a new rear main seal, timing belt, SS brake/clutch lines, new center support bearing for the driveshaft, new guibo, a fresh, non cracked oil pan, I resealed the whole transmission(input, output shafts and the shifter selector rod seal), all new turbo manifold gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, and a variety of other things.

Got the flywheel resurfaced while everything was apart & also did a new clutch/pressure plate

Test fitted the motor again for the 20th time

I'll post the rest of the updates tomorrow

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Dang.

Comment

Wowzers!

Comment

Sweet build. Sub'd.

Comment

about time you made a build thread. Instagram was getting old ;)
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Trust me it stock :yawn:

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk View Post
            Dang.
            Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
            Wowzers!
            Originally posted by E30NJ View Post
            Sweet build. Sub'd.
            Appreciate the enthusiasm

Originally posted by knuklehead92 View Post
            about time you made a build thread. Instagram was getting old ;)
            I'v been meaning to for a while ;D This is so much better than Instagram haha

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

You have my attention.
              world renown Harry Potter expert
              sigpic

Comment

It's tomorrow. Nice build, subscribed.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Will definitely be watching this. Those BBS's are |________________| wide on there.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

awesomeness. looks crazy wide even with the turbo flares.

The Build:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Jesus, you're not fucking around. Nice work!

Comment

<3

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                          You have my attention.
                          Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                          It's tomorrow. Nice build, subscribed.
                          Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                          Will definitely be watching this. Those BBS's are |________________| wide on there.
                          Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                          awesomeness. looks crazy wide even with the turbo flares.
                          Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                          Jesus, you're not fucking around. Nice work!
                          Thanks guys. They're 10" wide with 4.5" barrels as lips(my old barrels)

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          <3
                          (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Comment

Incredible start

Comment

Okay, so time to catch you all up to the present.

After many more test fits & trimming of the chassis/hammering the living crap out of the tunnel, I got everything to fit. However, even though it physically fit, the motor sat crooked & didn't allow the driveshaft to line up with the differential. So again I had to drill more holes into the front subframe.....

Finally straight!

Now with my crooked motor problem fixed, I was able to make the CSB mount for the driveshaft. So as of now, the motor sits in the car perfectly straight & everything is solidly mounted with Condor Speed Shop bushings.

With that done, I messed around with the wheels some more, the color of the centers have really started to grow on me. I think that it goes well with the body color of the car & gold hardware.

To try to fit as much as possible in the bay, you have to cut out a LOT of stuff

Seeing as the hard part was done, I took the car out of Condor Speed Shop & had it towed back to my house by a friend (E-Racing). So I began to wrap it up & finish the smaller details.

I started to mess around with the charge pipes, oil catch can locations, etc. I was really trying to figure out how I was going to be able to fit this massive amount of stuff in this tiny engine bay.

Then, about a month ago I started the car for the first time. It fired right up after figuring out that I needed to bypass the e30 on-board-computer circuit lol. Man did I miss the sound of a turbo m20. I proceeded to take it for a spin around the block. No gas pedal, no seat, no brakes, open downpipe. It was ridiculously fun hahaha.

As of lately I've began tidying things up. I adapted an e30 gas pedal linkage/pedal to the 02 & have it all mounted/functioning properly. There are quite a few small details I've left out in the build, but that's what happens when you start a build thread 4 months into the build
                              Last edited by AbsorbantNut; 02-14-2015, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X