• Show
Clear All

• itskingsteelo
    replied
    This has to be one of my favorite threads. Awesome work on everything man

Leave a comment:

• semaj4712
    replied
    Well it fades for sure, not sure ab ut breaking down but yea its covered when im not working on it, and once a section is done i usually do a light coat of primer over it anyway, but there are products out there that is essentislly por15 with uv protection in them, its sort of an alternative to powder coating

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    Just in case you didn't know. POR15 breaks down when exposed to uv light. So I would keep the car out of the sun until you paint over the POR15.

I was worried this thread was dead. I am glad it is not. I look forward to reading your progress.

Leave a comment:

• semaj4712
    replied
    Alright so I know it has been well over a year...lol but I have an update, not a crazy update but I am getting a big itch to really make big progress on this project his year.

First, let's catch everyone up on what I have been up to for the last year.

I built a radio, that's always fun...

Made some improvements to the M3

Bought a 3D printer

which turned into this

There's a lot more going on but nothing that is too crazy, I did, however, start selling automotive enthusiast gear online if anybody is interested. Would love to hear feedback from the BMW community and suggestions on other things to sell or other designs you would like to see.

Check it out at http://shop.champsspeedshop.com

This is personally one of my favorites

Okay and now onto the 02...
    To continue with the trunk work, I welded in these side bars.

Left a small gap... For...

To make matching plates for each side I got a little creative

And all welded in...

Now I need to do the other side and place some sheet metal to enclose the fuel cell. Going to start jamming on that this weekend.

But I finally cleaned up the trans tunnel and got it covered in POR-15, I still need to coat the underside and that should happen possibly towards the end of the week or weekend.

Once I finish the trans tunnel and trunk area my plan is to tackle the rest of the fender flares. But I have not yet done so because since I am already fabricating flares, I feel that I should probably make sure that the wheels and tires fit good at the ride height I would like and then make sure the flares are mounted at the perfect location.

So I have been doing my homework on suspension setup, and I could simply order the IE front Coilover kit, but I think I am going to build my own, using their larger strut tubes, Koni Adjustable Race Shocks, and Ground Control Camber Plates. I am planning to go with 7 in Eibach Springs at a spring rate of 400Ib in front. The rear I think I am going to do IEs Coilover setup, It is fairly inexpensive and does the best job from what I can see, and I cant piece together my own set very easily. I think a spring rate of 350ib for the rears is a good starting place.

Leave a comment:

• ThatM20Guy
    replied
    We need updates :hitler:

Leave a comment:

• ndelage
    replied
    Amazing thread! You really manage to a get a ton of projects done -- and your taste is so varied it really keeps it interesting. Can't wait to see your 02 project! That e46 looks incredible. And my nephew would just die if I showed up in that red truck. He'd think I stole it from the set of Cars ;)

Leave a comment:

• semaj4712
    replied
    Yea I think straps are ok for me, since this isnt really going to be a racecar but rather a weekend at the track sometimes car mainly fun streetcar...but I may play around with a different design than the current straps...well see

Anyways got the m3 back, still in breakin mode but so far so good and running nicely...Right before it blew up I had ordered a new steering wheel shiftboot and ebrake handle and boot from Coby wheel so I was able to finally get them installed on the car...

The airbag sits sort of strange in the steering wheel for whatever reason, slightly to the right, but I need to bring the car in for a recall on the airbag anyway so ill do that first and then address the issue.

I have a few parts on order for the car that should be here in the next few days but my overall plan with the m3 right now in order of importance are

- Replace front cracked lip, new one is on the way
    - New floor mats, also on the way
    - Different OEM looking head unit (possibly android based, just something that has more capability than just fm/am radio and cd
    - Replace all bushings
    - Redo window tint
    - Swap interior for black
    - Swap seats for a comfy set of recaros or the like
    - Exhaust
    - Fix wheel rash / new wheels

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Those cages around the fuel cells is to protect them in an incident, and a lot of times cells are added as per competition rules (and/or extra capacity) not necessarily to save weight.

Been fun reading this thread :)

Leave a comment:

• rturbo 930
    replied
    Well, I might not be the person to ask, but IMO, your straps are probably fine. The stock fuel tank was held in with straps, wasn't it? The tank on my Datsun had two straps holding it in. Done right, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. And yes, those cages are going to add weight. It's interesting that some people will remove the stock tank for an aluminum one for "weight reduction" and then mount it to a cage like that, which weighs a ton. Additionally, the straps you have there look like they're pretty thick. I'd say they're quite a bit thicker than the ones on my Datsun, as well as wider. Only thing is I'd put some rubber between the straps and the tank, and some straps to go over the top as well. As is, doesn't look like there's anything holding it down, just the two straps keeping it from falling out.

That hood ornament is very, very impressive. I'm guessing he liked it.

Leave a comment:

• semaj4712
    replied
    Quick question for some of you racing guys, I have my fuel cell the frame is made for it, as you probably have seen in my last update...but what I am wondering is if simply straps is enough to hold to fuel cell in...

Reason I ask is a see crazy contraptions like this posted on the interwebs

As opposed to simply straps like these setups

The first ones seem a tad overkill and truthfully probably weigh a lot. I was planning on doing two straps. But not sure what to think with some of the crazy mounting contraptions I see out there.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    WOW very well done

Leave a comment:

• semaj4712
    replied
    Got the m3 back today...I havnt taken a picture of it yet because it was raining but I realized I totally left out the pictures J.Rizo took of the car last summer...feast your eyes

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    Awesome update. I was worried this thread was dead.

Leave a comment:

• paynemw
    replied
    i hate this thread.

You know why, because squirrel.... that's why.

You have all of these FREAKING AWESOME toys coming in and out of the picture. I see one, then I'm like, where's that build thread? Oh, and what about this build thread?! There's no way I could manage what you do man. Keep up the craziness and the cool work.

Leave a comment:

• semaj4712
    replied
    I could have probably sourced it locally although they were the ones offering the complete process, they printed it in wax and went straight to the sand casting of brass. I am pretty sure if I had it printed in wax and then shipped to me or a foundry it would have been destroyed in the shipping process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X