1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
    I would scuff and shoot the new piece of trim along with the old , sem trim black is the only way to go

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yea I have SEM trim paint as well. I am going to shoot the old pieces and if they dont match up I will shoot the new ones too. Hate shooting perfectly good pieces but oh well.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

The rear window trim is held on with rivets if memory serves me right, so you'd have to drill it out and then reinstall. Looks like you chose the least evasive option
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by oekundar View Post
        The rear window trim is held on with rivets if memory serves me right, so you'd have to drill it out and then reinstall. Looks like you chose the least evasive option
        Thanks, glad I didnt keep trying to pry it off.

Comment

Picked up a new shift knob for the swap today. I was going to get the ZHP 6speed knob, but I wanted something that looked close to the OEM knob but was leather and obviously 6 speed. Got this one on Ebay, its not exact but its a very similar shape to the OEM knob just shorter. The leather is pretty nice on it too.

Comment

Feel some what accomplished tonight.

First finished shadowlining the trim on the car. The rest of it is still sitting in the paint room in the basement, its done I just need to attach the new clips and get it on the car.

Next to the part that took me over an hour. Someone at BMW is sadistic in their engineering! A few posts back I spoke about my evap hose that went from the back of the fender through the car back out and then to the top of the fuel tank, it was eaten up by a chipmunk.

So through this tiny ass tube you need to get the evap hose, which is not even rubbery on the outside its like a material which has tons of friction, then the other two rubber tubes that also go to the tank. The two rubber tubes were already through the hole so I tried to get the evap tube through there while they were in, no dice it barely made it an inch in then got stuck.

Long story short I had to put the Evap tube in together with one of the other hoses, then pull the last hose through. It barely made it, hope those never every need to be changed again!

Next replaced the T junction and the hard and soft brake lines. I should have bought steel ones but I already had these so new OEM ones go back. For anyone ever attempting to remove brake lines definitely buy flared wrenches!!

Next I got the new tank up, that actually was the easiest part of the day, balanced it on my jack and it went up pretty easy. I will say that the spectra tank fit almost perfect, the front middle bolt hole was a bit off, I had to do some adjusting to make it fit. But other then also not having a drain plug, it is well worth getting this for $200 vs the OEM for $1100.

Also got in the shiny brand new ebrake cables after beating the old ones into submission!

Last but not least cut some new rubber fuel lines, hooked up the tank as well as a new fuel filter.

Im done for the day! Feel pretty good, once I get my trailing arms back from Garagistic I will put the subframe back together and mount it back up. then finally get the car back on its wheels.

After that its finally time to pull the engine!!

Comment

Getting a lot closer to putting the subframe back in the car.

First the refurbished/reinforced trailing arms from Garagistic, love these things all fresh and strong.

Next to get push in the new bearings. So much easier the pulling out the old ones. Reused the tool I made to remove them. I also found out that my aluminum centering rings for my wheels are the exact diameter I needed to press my bearings back in!

Some minty fresh new half shafts from GKN. They slide in so smooth.

Test fitted everything back together. Need to get the brake lines back on the new trailing arms, then bolt this thing back up in the air.

After that I will put the new ebrake shoes on followed by the BBK and get this thing back on the ground for the first time in quite a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                Getting a lot closer to putting the subframe back in the car.

First the refurbished/reinforced trailing arms from Garagistic, love these things all fresh and strong.

Next to get push in the new bearings. So much easier the pulling out the old ones. Reused the tool I made to remove them. I also found out that my aluminum centering rings for my wheels are the exact diameter I needed to press my bearings back in!

Some minty fresh new half shafts from GKN. They slide in so smooth.

Test fitted everything back together. Need to get the brake lines back on the new trailing arms, then bolt this thing back up in the air.

After that I will put the new ebrake shoes on followed by the BBK and get this thing back on the ground for the first time in quite a while!

Absolutely beautiful, please please refurbish the bolts...

Current Cars:
                2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                CLEAN E30'S
                S54 DRIVETRAIN
                E30 DASH
                E30 PARTS

Comment

Dude that looks great! The GKN halfshafts are awesome quality for the money. Just got done doing the same project.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
                    Absolutely beautiful, please please refurbish the bolts...

I plan on it, the new ones havent come in yet.

Comment

Returning the subframe bits is so satisfying isn’t it?!
                      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

So question for everyone on Differential fluid. Right now the case is empty. I have brand new diff fluid ready to go in, but i am seriously considering going to the MZ3 cover, if I do I probably wont change until the spring. Would it be ok to leave it empty over the winter? All I will be doing is rolling the car out to the driveway to store.

When I mean roll I actually mean roll since there is no drive shaft to drive it out.

I would just hate to put new fluid in just to drain it out later.

Comment

I would absolutely not leave a diff sitting dry/exposed to the environment without lube in it.
                          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

z3m diff cover just for style points? I know a few (older) guys who say those covers are a waste unless youre building an all out endurace race car. Not trying to be a dick just trying to potentially "save" you money lol
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                              z3m diff cover just for style points? I know a few (older) guys who say those covers are a waste unless youre building an all out endurace race car. Not trying to be a dick just trying to potentially "save" you money lol
                              Pretty much, you just talked me out of it lol.

Yea Brad I'm going to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                                Pretty much, you just talked me out of it lol.
                                haha I had the same experience

subframe assembly looks mighty tasty by the way.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X