Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lira (euro DS mtech II 318is reshelled, 24v swapped, also now BAR'd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man you hauled ass with this car. Good work dude.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Great job. You've inspired me to find a nice Dschwarz 318iS.

Ok I just bought one.
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
        Glad this car is on the road. One of my favorite builds!
        Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Man you hauled ass with this car. Good work dude.
        Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
        Great job. You've inspired me to find a nice Dschwarz 318iS.

thanks guys! it came together really well and I'm enjoying it throughly.

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
        Ok I just bought one.
        lol goddammit
        cars beep boop

Comment

the original car

Do you remember the original car that you took all the parts off of???:) Sure has come a long ways. Are you going to make any changes, or just drive it for now?
          jm

Comment

I enjoyed your build and the car turned out awesome. I thought you mentioned before that there was another set of wheels you were going to put on it. I am curious to see what you have in mind. And now thanks to the pics of your car, you have me considering a Mtech II kit. Keep up the good work.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
              Do you remember the original car that you took all the parts off of???:) Sure has come a long ways. Are you going to make any changes, or just drive it for now?
              jm
              Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              I enjoyed your build and the car turned out awesome. I thought you mentioned before that there was another set of wheels you were going to put on it. I am curious to see what you have in mind.
              it's actually very similar to the car that donated all the fun stuff, except for having a real motor and being significantly less worn down.. and being legal to drive in CA.

for changes, I am continuing to waffle back and forth on installing the 245/11 dogleg it came with. the flywheel rattle is driving me bonkers, so the solid disc needs to come out for a sprung one no matter what I do. after some shenanigans I'll have a 3.25 Torsen. That diff and trans works out to be a fancier version of a 260 and a 3.73, gearing-wise.

and yeah, wheels. need to get them to KIRIEW to get the lips refinished, and then I'll show em off. not a common set ;)

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
              And now thanks to the pics of your car, you have me considering a Mtech II kit.
              I didn't like mtech II for a long time, but it's grown on me. definitely better in some colors than others.. I think I've seen enough poorly-maintained Alpine tech II verts that look like beat-up marshmallows to not like it in that color.
              cars beep boop

Comment

I had an oil leak coming from the oil filter housing, so the whole shebang had to come off. turns out, it was the o-rings, not the profile gasket, but everything was replaced and is now dry.

off:

on:

I put this off until the first oil change. The car has now officially done 4000 mostly-functional miles with its new powerplant!

I also put in a thermostat with a hole drilled in it while everything was out. This solved the majority of my overheating issues, so that's good. Unfortunately, the M42 radiator's bleed screw housing cracked while I was bleeding it, so now I need a new one. It's currently held closed with a hose clamp, but is liable to blow at any time.
                cars beep boop

Comment

:)

This is a great project. Thanks for posting all the information....I know it takes lots of time, but it is appreciated!!
                  jm

Comment

bump from the dead and a tiny update.

My passenger side headlight stopped working a few days ago, and last night I spent two hours tracing everything, thinking that something shorted in my harness. The harness was fine, so I reluctantly dug into the fuse box. It was most of the way apart when I got curious and looked at the ellipsoid connector.

yup, that's the power and ground wires connected together with solder. I think something got hot, it gooped down and the current made more of it melt and get even more connected.

So that was dumb. FYI.

Also, coming soon - S50 cams, a torsen diff and a dogleg transmission.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Wee update, I cracked the oil pan :(

I did mange to get the dogleg in, which fucked me over since they don't have access holes for the oil pan in the bellhousing. (neither do 260s, though)

So, out it came.

After installing a clean oil pan and slapping my other 245/11 on it (gotta test em), everything went back in. Not sure if this counts as a motor swap.

Of course, the very last thing I was tightening broke off. As fortune would have it, it was the bleed screw in the radiator, in which it is now stuck. Sigh.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

Can you use the brass bleeder screw upgrade?

-
                        Project
                        Parts for Sale
                        Feedback
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

you can, but I ordered the plastic one. With my luck, the brass one would chew up the plastic threads.
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Glad that oil pan finally made it onto a car! Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesnt get smacked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Spotted you in SOMA today.. car looks amazing

Comment

Originally posted by raj View Post
                                Spotted you in SOMA today.. car looks amazing
                                thanks! I'm weeding out some issues still but it's been driving.

did you see it in the alley? are you the guy with the fjord roundie that's started parking around here recently?
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X