Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e30 316 build x2 (m52/m50, turbo, 3pcs bottle caps etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see the flare was ripped off. And I assume those black marks are just burned tire. How badly damaged is Petri's E30? Both of these car are amazing.

It is too bad about your car. I guess it is time for another upgrade.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

What do you think it is?
      i had a problem like that it turned out stock ring gaps don't like the heat and broke every land.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
        I see the flare was ripped off. And I assume those black marks are just burned tire. How badly damaged is Petri's E30? Both of these car are amazing.

It is too bad about your car. I guess it is time for another upgrade.
        It will buff out :D The tire just lost the whole thread section and it flapped against car. Destroying the flare and made the black marks.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
          What do you think it is?
          i had a problem like that it turned out stock ring gaps don't like the heat and broke every land.
          Well. Spoiler alert!

I already pulled the engine:

And tore down the engine. Number 1 and 5 pistons had cracked ringlands. No signs of piston rings binding so rising the boost at max torque point was what killed the engine. Too much cylinder pressure for the stock pistons. The stock pistons seem to handle about 600nm of torque. The 1.1-1.2bar of boost is 700nm or more which was too much.

Otherwise engine was mostly ok. No scratches on the bores and bearings looked normal. Only few had marks of some piston fragments going through the bearings.

Should be easy rebuild and I have already started gathering parts, now that I know what I need to get.

Comment

10.8 is good numbers, unfortunate about your engine but I guess it's a good excuse to rebuild bigger and better
            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

What rods are you planning to run?

Did you hear anything from Racing Diffs about why your caps needed to be modified? I just bought their kit for 2.79~3.07 and wondering if I'll have the same issue.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                What rods are you planning to run?

Did you hear anything from Racing Diffs about why your caps needed to be modified? I just bought their kit for 2.79~3.07 and wondering if I'll have the same issue.

I also have forged pistons coming. But the setup will be bit special, so not just upgrade to forged internals.

Haven't contact racing diffs about the problem. But I heard from few other guys that they will change the LSD cap dimensions for better. But don't know if they have actually done that. In any case, measure the thing, before bolting it together.

We also took the ONE for dyno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3zlwrN3B4

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Any concern about those ARP2000 bolts being fake? I doubt ARP would produce them with like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Thanks for the info.

Any concern about those ARP2000 bolts being fake? I doubt ARP would produce them with like that.
                    Those are genuine.

https://www.mgexp.com/forum/mg-motor...2265921/page-2
                    I Just got off the phone with Zack at ARP, he works in the tech dept., he confirmend that Maxspeeding is indeed using ARP rod bolts, and confirmed the batch number on the bolt in these very rods, all ARProd bolt will have ARP (model number), in this case 2000, the a dash and manufactuering batch number, that tell ARP, what batch they were made in, by checking that number they can confirm the exact size of bolt that made in that batch, according to ARP, the batch number would make it nealry imopssible for them to faked, they could put a batch number on there, but it would not match ARP records, in this case it did.
                    Rod bolts are ARP 2000 part# 200-6209, 3/8" diameter, 1.600" under the head length.
                    The actual bolts in this set of rods, batch number matched ARP's records, and were confirmed as authentic ARP 2000 rod bolts

Comment

Wow that's some good power!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                        And I am genuinely surprised! Good stuff!

Comment

Okay. Here's video of the investigating the failure in my engine: https://youtu.be/Gb5ksPDoE2Y

Then to Petri's car. Last burnout of the summer:
                          Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

hmmnn..

Well yeah. The engine did smoke little bit right from the beginning and it got worse over time. Petri got fed up with that and we pulled up the engine and took it apart. All ok otherwise but the bores were really shiny.

Bit strange. Maybe the rings didn't seat properly because we did spend weeks tuning the idle only and didn't get any load on the rings. Or just that we used the shitty drill operated honing tool. Well in anycase that needs to be fixed and for that Petri bought new block that all machining done for it.

Then Petri also started making new exhaust manifold. With equal length primaries hoping for nicer sound.

And also to make the turbo sit lower and not peak through the hood:

Exhaust manifold getting finished:

Petri also decided to upgrade to this "Holset":

To be exact that's only made on Holset base, but has some nice features like extended tip billet compressor wheel, water cooled core, ceramic ball bearings and stainless steel twin scroll exhaust housing with V-band connection. Model: HTX4064B1.

We also started assembling the engine to the new block. With new bearings and rings:

Video of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqwFXhisSw

Comment

"A cheap bastard could re-use these rings" had me cracking up.
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Love your work, here's hoping it's all ready for next summer
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                                Love your work, here's hoping it's all ready for next summer
                                Thanks! Both cars should be ready when summer comes, if nothing catastrophic happens.

Petri got the exhaust manifold finished:

Comment

Working...
                                X