Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
    Awesome build! This thing is going to be killer. Following this one
    Haha. Thanks, but Nothing compared to yours! I read every page of your build. Sad to see you sold it...I read yours so many times. Loved it.

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
    What are your goals for boost, HP, TQ?
    Whatever 15psi brings. I'm guessing 370whp/tq? Just want to build a fun car.
    (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
    1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

1970 BMW Gruppe 2 2002 (M20B29 Turbo) Build

Received my 84mm IJ Crank scraper, this thing is pretty intricate. It has flap doors and beveled edges. Only complaint is i have to grind off quite a bit because the counterweights interfere by atleast 2-3mm.

Ended up returning it...

Also still need to weld my oil drain bung in the oil pain and rivet in the oil pan baffle.

I disassembled the oil pump and inspected everything and found the gears were worn so I ordered new ones from Blunt and "rebuilt" it. I have a new shaft and stoppers/seals.

So, through work I was lucky enough to go to Germany to pick up a part for one of our projects. I got to have 2 days to myself so you know for sure 1 day was devoted to going to the Nurburgring. I flew in to Frankfurt and drove to Landau to pick up the part, got lost, found the place finally and my work was done in Germany. I was now a tourist :)

I was so jet-lagged form the 11 hr flight that I didn't end up sleeping for the past like 28 hrs, so I passed out for a few hours just in time for a night in downtown Frankfurt. That was fun...then the next day got to go visit a very nice R3v'er Mike in Bamberg. He was AWESOME! He showed me around his town and basically made me want to move to Germany. I still want to. We drove to the Ring early in the morning and it was raining. Was kinda sketchy having your very first track day on the "the most dangerous track in the world" in the rain in a rented caged race car that is on Ohlin's with R888's. It was probably the best day of my life.

Here's the car I rented. It was the cheapest. I didn't get to plan for this trip. It literally was a Friday they asked me if I had a passport. Monday I was told to book a flight for Wednesday.

It doesn't look like much and it was FWD, which was weird, but it honestly had so much grip when it dried up and cornered nicely. Just had no balls whatsoever for getting up the elevation changes.

I'm so mad at myself because I didn't check to see if my SD card was empty. And low and behold it was full. So no footage of my laps :( Now I have to go back.

A pic of Mike and I in his daily e39. This was my first lap on the Nordschleiffe, and my first lap on a track.

One photographer got me on the carousel. Super stoked about that! Gotta find it and buy it!

I tried so hard to find some euro turn signals in Germany, but it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. But Mike was nice enough to trade me his for my US spec ones.

Thanks again Mike! Big shoutout to you for being so cool and showing me around Germany and having me at your home.

Now that the motor is pretty much built I started to prep the 02 for the motor.

Have to take off this hideous fender. It was so scary cutting a car you intend to keep and use and hopefully make pretty haha.

But I succeeded

I have a real mess here. Anyone say roast beef headlight?

Just placed it there to see what she looks like without a giant dent and 1/2" thick of bondo.

I took it back off because I have more work to do before it can be mounted. I had some buddies come over and we took down my front suspension. This was fun. And pretty easy. Came down with 6 bolts on the subframe, 6 bolts on the struts and a couple bolts on the coupler and it came right down.

I finally caught up :) Were at present day with the build. I will disassemble the front suspension next.

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 10:51 PM.
      (SOLD) 1988 327i Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=155086
      1970 Gruppe 2 2902 M20 Turbo Build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=373891

Comment

Sweet build! I can't wait to see where it goes. What are you going to run for suspension?
        The Lineup in order of appearance:
        91 535i
        91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
        91 325is w/ S52
        88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
        88 M3 ;D
        91 325ix 5 speed
        89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
        73 2002
        1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
        1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
        1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
        1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
        Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
          Sweet build! I can't wait to see where it goes. What are you going to run for suspension?

Thanks,
          I have rear Ground control springs and adjusters. (450lb) Going to get the IE sleeve kit and run Koni's. I was very happy with my e30 on ground control/koni's.

IE big sway bars, roll center spacers, etc, will also be used. I have new poly bushings for the front as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a sweet set-up. I think I will go with Ground Control on my 02 eventually as well. We run it on a couple of our E30's and are super happy with it
            The Lineup in order of appearance:
            91 535i
            91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
            91 325is w/ S52
            88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
            88 M3 ;D
            91 325ix 5 speed
            89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
            73 2002
            1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
            1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
            1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
            1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
            Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

I wish I got to drive the ring but at least I got to see a 24h race which was awesome to experience. Nice build looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Subscribed. I have a feeling this is going to be epic!
                clutchCTRL!
                Move with a purpose.
                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                - 2000 323i AT
                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                  Subscribed. I have a feeling this is going to be epic!

I'm trying. I'm letting all my skills out on this one. And praying I have some tricks up my sleeve to pull this build off. First time doing a lot of things. But I have a vision and a plan for everything. I've been thinking about this build for years.

Hope to learn to TIG weld well enough to build a half cage for it. I taught myself how to MIG and successfully built this quadricycle with coilovers all around, custom a-arms and 4 link for my senior project. Nothing broke and it went 17mph with 4 people in it.

I found a new skill I LOVE doing. So plan to buy a Miller Diversion 180. May get a MIG down the road too. But the TIG looks so therapeutic and is more universal than the MIG for car projects I feel.

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Whatcha doing for diff/halfshafts/etc. ?
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Which transmission you running? Mounts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                        Whatcha doing for diff/halfshafts/etc. ?

I haven't fully figured out this one yet on which route I'm taking but it will be a medium case diff. Probably gonna go with a 3.25 LSD (e28 535is) or 3.46LSD or whatever the e36m one is.

Probably going with those meaty half shafts that are sold by catuned and others. Anyone know who makes those?

Getrag 260 and 325i driveshaft from a late model E30 my friend parted out.

There's someone that is making a subframe to use e30 trailing arms. I was thinking about going that route but I got GC adjusters and springs for the 2002 TA's so that subframe is out of the question now. Atleast for now.

Here is the Ground Control stuff for the rear.

The front I'm going to do the sleeve kit for Koni's from IE, I need to save up some money again after buying the TIG to get rolling on the front. And need a welder to reinforce the subframe so I can put the m20 on it.

The stock springs are massive haha

I also found some 225/45r15 Toyo RA1's on Craigslist for $50 with some useable tread so grabbed those for the wheels that should be coming Monday. Should be plenty good for rollers and testing :) I wonder how many other corvette owners use their car for hauling haha. I've had firewood, tires, engine parts, tools and other shit that normally doesn't go into vettes lol. It's just a car. A fun one.

Started disassembling the front suspension

Struts off

Steering arms off

I have some serious cleaning to do with this gear box. But it doesn't appear to be leaking. Although the motor leaked plenty by the looks of it.

I called it a night after taking the gear box off and cleaning it up some. Suprisingly came apart nicely for being 45 years old. The Pb blaster I sprayed on all bolts obviously worked. What I found really odd is there must not of been lock washers in the 70s or something because they double nut a lot of
                        Things. And it's not a locknut, it's just two of the same nuts. Is that a factory thing? Or ghetto rigged by PO's. I'm new to 02's.

But this is where I'll continue Saturday.

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Which transmission you running? Mounts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                          Getrag 260 for trans.

I forgot who I got them from but I believe they're the "manimal" mounts. They push the m20 as far back and low as possible. You can even clear the steering linkages with the stock manifold and dp's supposedly.

These are them:

Last edited by 88SuperETABD; 08-28-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Very cool! I'm running the same mounts! Glad to see he's still making them. I'm very happy with my set. I'm also running a G260 with E30 driveline. Bolted in nicely without hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            clutchCTRL!
                            Move with a purpose.
                            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                            - 2000 323i AT
                            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Very cool! I'm running the same mounts! Glad to see he's still making them. I'm very happy with my set. I'm also running a G260 with E30 driveline. Bolted in nicely without hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sweet! That sounds promising. It's one e30 round bushing and one 02 square block bushing right? (I hope, cuz that's what I bought). Did you reshape the firewall / tunnel?

Do you have a build thread? How do you like yours? I've never even driven an 02, I hope it feels similar to an e30.

Comment

Awesome build man. I love it.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X