Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

When I first got into E30's in the late 80's/early 90's, my first car was an 85 325e that my mom bought new in 84. I had it a few years before it was rear ended in 98. I then picked up my first M3 in 99 and never looked back.

I wanted to go back to my roots and build an early model Henna 325e I had found for $800 but that didn't pan out. As fate would have it, my buddy Mike (mkcman17) was telling me about a euro 323i he once owned that was available again. The new owner had lost interest in the project. I thought a euro car??? perfect. I never owned a euro car and it already has euro bumpers so one less thing to worry about. The best part is it was cheap and only 15 minutes away from me. After about a day or two, it was on a flatbed on the way home.

Freshly cleaned newer carpet ready to go in...

Dash is out and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I'm going to experiment a bit but if it fails, I may toss in a clean dash or have this one wrapped.

The M20B23 is familiar but very different from the M20B25/B27's I am used to. I got it running pretty good but we'll see if it stays or goes. It's cool but the L Jetronic is pretty archaic. Part of me wants to do an M52 or S50 and call it a day, part of me wants to preserve it and keep the original engine. Once I get the interior back together and drive the car more, we'll see what happens with the engine. My goal is just to build a very nice M tech 1 driver to complete my collection. It's not much to look at now but it's a legit euro car that's been in CA virtually all of it's life.

Update 3/16/16:
    Parts are all on order, including full M tech 1 kit.

With the dash out it's the perfect time to sort the wiring and do installations. I pulled an old Derringer alarm and installed an Omega K9 with keyless entry. Then I'm going to go through the instrument cluster.

Here's the product I'll be using to fill the cracks. This stuff is like JB weld for dashes except it's sandable. My plan is to refinish it with Plastidip.

Front bumper sustained some damage by the PO so that's getting sorted out but in the meantime here's a shot of the cool early city lights. They look like the low beams are on in the picture but in person the city lights are dim. Since they are right under the H1 bulb in the center, they light up the entire housing, not just the top like euro ellipsoids. Many people will go straight to ellipsoids (I have them on my other cars) but I'm not going to do that here. I'm keeping them as they are part of the early style look that I'm after.
    Dash is filled using the Urethane padded dash filler. This stuff is great! My only complaint is that it hardens way too fast so only mix small amounts at a time and only do one long crack or a couple of small ones at a time.

I should have spent a little more time on prepping the storage tray area...I know but I got lazy and my main concern were the cracks which are all filled and covered up. As expected, the Plastidip still shows the factory grain while giving it the rubberized look of the new dashes! This is what I was hoping for. Sorry about the shadows.

This is after the 2nd coat and on the 2nd day. I sprayed on another coat to even things out a bit. I will take another pic after the final coat dries completely tomorrrow.
    I should have spent a little more time on prepping the storage tray area...I know but I got lazy and my main concern were the cracks which are all filled and covered up. As expected, the Plastidip still shows the factory grain while giving it the rubberized look of the new dashes! This is what I was hoping for. Sorry about the shadows. If it looks good outside of the car, I'm sure it will look great inside. This is my first time working with filler, sanding, etc. I have thrown away dashes in better condition than this one. This is something I wanted to try out since I had nothing to lose but cost of material and a few hours. A dash with fewer cracks would have much better results.

3/19/16:

Touched up the dash a bit and it looks decent enough to install. Still some imperfections but I'm not going to be too picky with this project. I went thru the instrument cluster today (broken odometer gears and right side light is out) and decided to machine polish the plastic cover which cleaned it up nice! unfortunately it also made an existing 1 inch crack a 2 inch crack. Oh well, I'll have to grab another one at some point. SI board batteries were toast so I ordered up some AA NiCad's. Seems these aren't as common as they used to be. Most places don't carry them anymore in favor of NiMH and LI. While waiting for the batteries to arrive, I've been experimenting with a capacitor. I'll keep you updated on that. Another option is Programa's battery less board but at $150, I'd rather just replace the batteries. This is deja vu for me as this is one of the first DIY mods I did to my first 85 325e back in the day.

3/26/16:

Got the dash in and the electrical wiring all sorted out. Not bad! This car has a comfort relay that powers the windows when the doors are open without the key having to be in the ignition. M tech 1 wheel and fresh switches installed.

These are original mats from my first 85 325e. Kept them in storage for 17 years after the crash.

Next is the subwoofer/amp install and deciding if I should keep the interior blue or switch to black. I'm missing the rear seat. Finding a blue seat would be a challenge but black is readily available. Either way the front seats would need to be dyed.

Getting the rear deck ready for paint. Going to dye it gray to match the black interior. Does anyone know where I can find this bulb socket?

I needed new front turn signals and bought aftermarket Eurolite assemblies. Instead of having built in bulb sockets, they use these. I didn't realize they were different from OE.

update 4/18/16:
    OEM vs aftermarket eurolite assemblies...

Problem is those bulb sockets are different from OEM. My solution was to cut out the OEM connector/socket and use that instead.

Resprayed my faded blue rear deck to gray...

The interior is just about done. Next is the suspension, CA's, tie rods, and M tech 1 kit.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 04-18-2016, 12:43 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

yes!! I always wondered what happened to this car. it's the one with some rear end damage, yeah?

also I have *all* of the L-Jet spares. let me know if you need any.
    cars beep boop

Comment

That's great you are saving it!!!!
      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        yes!! I always wondered what happened to this car. it's the one with some rear end damage, yeah?

also I have *all* of the L-Jet spares. let me know if you need any.
        I don't think it's the same car.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

crown royal shift boot is not a good sign of a PO
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

will be watching

Great, I was looking for a euro car to do my m-tech 1 too, but they are very hard to find. You will find it will be easier to do the m-technic 1 on your 85, than on a usa car....
            Will be watching for tips and ideas for my dd.
            jm

Comment

Only the rust picture is loading for me.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

I am excite

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  Only the rust picture is loading for me.
                  I moved the pictures to a different folder. Links should work now.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    I don't think it's the same car.
                    sorry, got two cars confused. it reminded me of mkcman17's car, which I haven't heard about in ages..

cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      sorry, got two cars confused. it reminded me of mkcman17's car, which I haven't heard about in ages..

It is mkcman17's old car. I don't know anything about rear end damage. The front end is rough though.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                        It is mkcman17's old car. I don't know anything about rear end damage. The front end is rough though.
                        yeah, I got front and rear confused... been a few years.

anyway, guess I was thinking of the right car. good luck with it! sounds like we started out with twin cars and will end up with twin cars.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

I'm posting updates with pics in the original post so they are easier to follow but here's the latest...

Parts are all on the way, including full M tech 1 kit.

With the dash out it's the perfect time to sort the wiring and do installations. I pulled an old Derringer alarm and installed an Omega K9 with keyless entry. Then I'm going to go through the instrument cluster.

I just filled the cracks with Padded Dash filler tonight. I will sand tomorrow and see how it goes. My plan is to Plastidip the dash.

Comment

Nice

I am skeptical about fillers in general but considering you are not placing any weight on the dash, it might hold up well. Wondering if after you fill it, covering in leather would be nicer? Plastidip has had so so review. What about colorbond? I heard that was better.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                              I am skeptical about fillers in general but considering you are not placing any weight on the dash, it might hold up well. Wondering if after you fill it, covering in leather would be nicer? Plastidip has had so so review. What about colorbond? I heard that was better.
                              Leather or vinyl is another option I will consider if I'm not satisfied with the results. The reason I chose Plastidip is texture, flexibility and cost. After I fill and sand the dash, most of the grain will be lost, so I'm not sure if an interior paint will give me that texture I'm looking for. Have you used Colorbond?

Here's a plastidip'd porsche dash that pretty much convinced me. Either way, it'll be a hell of a lot better than before.

Comment

Working...
                              X