No announcement yet.

No History 318is - 'Old Faithful' Track Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing new image code as follows, just swap the " at the beginning and end with brackets

Code:
    "IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"url"}[/IMG2"

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
      I love this car
      what kind of alignment specs have you been running?
      last time at firestone i just got a regular alignment. It does have the offset bushing and non-m 5 lug swap from an e36 and 318ti

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

looks like the photo test failed. what CF hood is that? I tried to find where you said the brand, but failed to find it.

Comment

Bummer I can see them on my page, any idea how to post more pictures? It keeps uploading them to the post when I am just trying to link them.

CF hood is carbon creations brand

Comment

I think the URL is bunk. The formatting looks correctly in the bracket, but I think the actual URL is weird. I couldn't even locate the pictures independently.

Is the carbon creation hood good fitment? does it use the OEM brackets for mounting or pins? I've been leaning toward getting a carbon fiber hood, but I don't want to drop like 800 on something that isn't good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              I think the URL is bunk. The formatting looks correctly in the bracket, but I think the actual URL is weird. I couldn't even locate the pictures independently.

Is the carbon creation hood good fitment? does it use the OEM brackets for mounting or pins? I've been leaning toward getting a carbon fiber hood, but I don't want to drop like 800 on something that isn't good quality.
              I uploaded to google drive, looks like that doesn't work. As far as the hood, you can see the left front has a slight hump and doesn't site flush with the fender. There was also some damage at the passenger rear corner which is why I bought it. The guy who purchased it didn't like the fitment and got a replacement sent to him so he was selling this one and I didn't care if it looked and fit perfect. I reused the hood mounts and sliders and it initially wouldn't close for some reason. It takes a hard shove and closes now but fitment isn't as perfect as oem. Also it doesn't have a place for a hood shock to mount and the oem hood shock would probably damage the hood when trying to close it so that isn't idea. I just open the hood shock manually and rest the hood on it if I need to have the hood open but that wouldn't work in windy conditions. I wouldn't spend 600+ on it personally

Comment

So it looks like I haven't updated this thread in over a year. For documentations sake I will try to add to this. It turns out the e30 bug has bitten and it is tough to keep up with all the cars, let alone update everything that happens on each one. We left off with the 24 hours of lemons last year in the subaru and open lapping.

Here is a video of open lapping in the e30 with the subaru the day before the race (2019).

5 lugz3 steering rackz3 short shifterm20 lightweight flywheelmed case 3.73 lsdred46 skid platebolt in cageCOP upgradesomehow tore a passenger motor mount som...

I got home from the race but when driving home I had to make a u turn at a closed gas station and the steering locked in place briefly. When I got to looking at it, the passenger side motor mount was off the subframe as the whole ear had been sheared off! Lucky for me my skidplate held up the engine in decent postion so it didn't affect driveability. I mentioned that in a post above but confirmed what it was, picked up a new subframe, got garagistic reinforcing plates welded in and got it back together with upgraded e21 mounts and so forth. I believe I did stainless stell lines at the time too.

I drove the car around and had some minor problems with the exhaust and had to weld in a new muffler this past spring. I drove some more to work and to various places. I'm showing about 6000 miles in the past year. Some of that includes a lapping day the month before last and most of it with a vibration in the driveline. I thought it was a bad driveshaft balance but I never got around to doing anything about it because my time was hijacked by engine swapping my 325iX and a 1984 318i lemons build I started. This car became a runner driving parts etc. Well I finally got to looking and one of the guibo bolts was missing and 2 were loose. Resolving that fixed the vibration and I did another lapping day in this thing. Before the lapping day I also installed SRS concept control arm bushings for the 5 lug swap to center the front wheel in the front wheels in the wheel wells and resolve the caster problems. I got an alignment and hit the track. This session was the day before the lemons race and offered sunset and night lapping so I could practice driving the track with only me headlights. Check it out, it is a different experience than my other lapping. The lighting at night didn't work so I don't really have a video of that.

driving my 318is at open lapping the day before the 24 hours of lemons. I drive with some lemons racers. data from my gps watch overlayed using the free dash...

Lapping went well but a noise developed. I still have to figure what it is but it is either the control arm bushing too tight on the control arms, or the front struts in the coilovers binding up somehow. It got worse at the track but I have been driving it with that for now until I can figure out if I need new coilovers or something else. Despite that I did another lapping day and was able to run pretty quick times. I upgraded to a newer gopro and use dual angles here.

This was open lapping in my 318is. Telemetry by my GPS watch and synchronized using Dashware Software and Videopad Video editor. Second session of the day, I...

I let my buddy drive and he locked up into turn 8 giving me a bigger flatspot on one tire. It turns out I locked up in the same place but held it together on track, something that happened at the lemons race in an e28 team I joined this year. Check out the side by side here.

I mentioned the 84 318i so here is a photo of that getting put together. It has a separate thread so I won't add much about it to this one.

After the lapping day I decided I needed a firmer brake pedal and did a brake bleed to Type 200 brake fluid. That flush helped the brake system and give me great pedal feel in the car. It has been great driving around but I need to work out the CAB/ coilover problem.

Comment

Any good updates?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

The car performed great at the lapping day last fall. I ended up making a video with some on board footage but didn't get many photos that day.

Here is the link to one on board 30 minute session. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bMGm6KZhNQ

I let my friend drive it while I drove his focus ST and he managed to flatspot a tire pretty good. As it turns out I locked up in the same exact spot but managed to keep it on track and make the corner. This is a pretty cool video to watch

I swapped on the winter setup which is a 15 inch set of all season tires and raised the front end an inch. Unfortunately I had a strange stall in february which I thought was a failing CPS. It could still be failing, but after i got the cheap $80 boach 'replacement' from FCP euro, the engine would not even start with that sensor. The OEM replacement is like $265 so I cleaned the old one and it has performed fine so far but I haven't driven the car a lot since then. The old battery went bad so I replaced that and recently wasn't getting 13-14v at idle at the batttery. After replacing the alternator voltage regulator and seeingthe problem persist, I am planning to try a spare m42 alternator that is at my brothers house, possibly this weekend.

I have been spending a lot more time on the dedicated m42 power 1984 318i track/ lemons car as it is being prepared for a fall lemons race here in colorado. See more information on that project here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...42#post9924903

It has been interesting to see the differences between early and late model chassis and the differences between rear drums, rear discs, fuel tanks/ pumps, and various other changes made from beginning of production to the end. I am hoping with this alternator replacement I can get the car back on the road more with the weather changing into nicer spring and summer weather. Stay tuned for more updates. The car has covered approximately 36,000 miles since I fixed the odometer.

Comment

Working...
                    X